Audio-GD NFB-12
Apr 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #886 of 2,278
Quote:
What would be the advantage of having 2 WM7841s if the NFB-12 sounds the same as the sparrow and fun which have only 1 WM7841?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'd imagine dual mono would give you better dynamic range, ie. it's may just be a spec-sheet thing.

Speculating though, so send Kingwa an email.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #888 of 2,278
So I just asked him and he said that they should ship out next week (ordered march 4th). I will wait, but you cant make me like it. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #889 of 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Not to start a flame war, but for those who are really on the fence about waiting forever for the NFB-12 - Kingwa told me a few months ago that there was really very little difference between the Sparrow A and the NFB-12 in terms of sound.  And there shouldn't be - the sparrow actually costs a bit more.  But if you're really wanting an NFB-12, and don't need the variable line out, maybe consider just going with the Sparrow-A...

Yeah. Sparrow, FUN, and NFB-12 all using WM8741 all have the same amp power output and sound signature - as long as you are using WM8741 for the DA chip, my original sparrow had AD1852 and installing the WM8741 upgrade was a significant improvement. I had the Sparrow (B version, WM8741) before I replaced it with the NFB-12 (wanted the dac-out on the back for powered speakers or tube amp), and there really isn't a significant difference between the two, sound wise.

You can also simply order the Sparrow B with the WM8741 chip.. I believe this makes it cheaper than the NFB-12. You can also choose between DIR9001 or WM8805 for the receiver chip, DIR9001 if you want something neutral and more detailed, or WM8805 for 192khz support and a slightly warmer/smoother sound (which is what the NFB-12 uses).

I find the DIR 9001 plenty warm and smooth enough in my 8471 Sparrow A.  But yes, I'm sure the NFB-12 represents a marginal improvement over the sparrow - why else would he make it?  But it's just that he's fairly straightforward about the fact that if you exchange last year's $200 product for this year's $200 product, you're not magically going to see some tremendous jump in quality.  He considers these "low end gears" - not bad, mind you, but, well, why would he sell $1500 gears if they sounded the same?  I remember I volunteered to try one of the first Digital Interfaces and he basically wouldn't sell it to me, saying "you won't hear any difference in a gear like the Sparrow" - it's made for stuff like the Reference series.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #890 of 2,278
Hey Bros!  (NFB-11 owner)  :)

DI mentioned... I'll just leave this tidbit here..

If you have a COAX-out on your PC/MAC... Digital Interface ver.A  is a "Must Have"

USB->NFB-11=good
USB->DI ver.A->COAX->NFB-11= noticably Better
COAX->NFB-11=pretty good
COAX->DI ver.A->COAX->NFB-11=Amazingly Good   

Quite startling how good COAX->COAX sounds.

from... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516886/audio-gd-nfb-11/870#post_7424082   to read more...

@JaMo..... waiting for your NFB-11 and NFB-12 impressions...  :)

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #891 of 2,278
Interesting, I had a look at the NFB-11 thread too.

At the moment I don't have a DI, I wasn't planning to get one until I might go balanced and get an NFB-10 or something else.  What I'm interested is your comparison of the USB input and Coax input of the NFB-11 (the "good" and "pretty good").

From your PC/Mac directly to the NFB-11, do you rate the Coax input better than USB?  It may be the same or similar for the NFB-12 so I'm curious..  Ofcourse I will test and compare myself when the NFB-12 arrives (probably this week) but impressions while I wait won't be any harm.

My PC onboard Coax output is just a Realtek ALC889A, so somehow I doubt Coax will be better than USB.. but I suppose when DI comes in place, things will change.

Quote:

USB->NFB-11=good
USB->DI ver.A->COAX->NFB-11= noticably Better
COAX->NFB-11=pretty good
COAX->DI ver.A->COAX->NFB-11=Amazingly Good   

Quite startling how good COAX->COAX sounds.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #892 of 2,278
@zenki14:

The good thing about the DI is that altho it may cost a bit much to pair with a lower cost A-GD DAC. 
I can enjoy it's superb SQ now, and it can migrate with me when I upgrade to a Higher end A-GD DAC in the future.

Yes the NFB-11 COAX is better sounding than both Toslink and USB.
I guess "pretty good" would be "great sounding" if I didn't hear COAX to DI..

It sounds so incredible out to Z5500 speakers.. today I had a huge grin on my face while listening to FLACS saying
"OMG this is so freakn amazing!" over and over... lol

Do not doubt Padawan... j/k  assuredly your PC onboard COAX is better than USB.

One reason I was using USB for audio is because I didn't know I could use both of my COAX outputs at the same time! 
My music SPDIF-out is from onboard Asus P5B-Deluxe ADI1988B 24bit/192hz. has both Toslink and COAX 
I'm also using my Asus D2X soundcard COAX to send TV SHOW/MOVIE Pro Logic/DD/DTS audio to my Z5500 decoder.

I am learning though.. that If you have COAX or Toslink, you should diligently avoid and shun USB....  It's for Mice... afterall!  

Enjoy playing your NFB-12 when you get it.   I'd love to have both DACs.... but I'm no JaMo... y'know.  :)

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #893 of 2,278
Received mine recently and am quite impressed. I ran a little comparo between the 12 and my DI-Ref-8-Phoenix and while the air, depth, width and detail is easily perceived better with that rig over the 12, it's not earth shattering. Very impressive little unit. Vocals are great and detail is very good. I don't understand previous reports of detail lacking. The only thing it's really missing compared to higher end devices is what I mentioned earlier, in particular, the width of soundstage- more in front of you vs. to the sides as the Phoenix provides in spades.
All in all, amazing, refined sound for the money.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #894 of 2,278

Quote:
Received mine recently and am quite impressed. I ran a little comparo between the 12 and my DI-Ref-8-Phoenix and while the air, depth, width and detail is easily perceived better with that rig over the 12, it's not earth shattering. Very impressive little unit. Vocals are great and detail is very good. I don't understand previous reports of detail lacking. The only thing it's really missing compared to higher end devices is what I mentioned earlier, in particular, the width of soundstage- more in front of you vs. to the sides as the Phoenix provides in spades.
All in all, amazing, refined sound for the money.

Thanks Tim!  That was a great little comparison , I took a heck of a lot from it. Question - did you use the same headphones and what where they?  I have recently aquired an 11 , I have the 12 too , and I always wondered about the elusive soundstage , I just have entry level headphones though , always thought that was the cause. I've had the NFB12 for months now , got about 800 hours break in , I love it with my woodied modded SR225 , it's a great matchup.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #895 of 2,278
I am using DT770/600. I find they have good detail, warmth and decent air for closed. Most important for me is that they isolate really well. The soundstage width seems to come from better power supply/ filtering which the Ref-8 and Phoenix have massively, and where the little 12 cannot compete.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #896 of 2,278
- Straight out of the computer via usb, how does the nfb-12 compare to higher priced portable setups, such as the pico dac/amp?....

.... When using both easier to drive full size cans (like a900) or harder to drive ones (like akg k271) ?

And the last thing I'd like to know if possible before placing my order;

- With the more sensitive Iem's, such as re zero/ie8, would I hear hissing out of the nfb's headphone out. That is when playing in basic 48/16 mode.

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #899 of 2,278
No, the fidelity is better on the 12 with my X10 IEM as well. It's not just the extra power, it's the extra filtering of that power among the rest of the high quality parts. I'm not slamming the D10, I think it's great for what it is.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #900 of 2,278
according to the website, the DI is mostly for improving on poor coax sources: [size=x-small]The coaxial input can improve on SQ from some low/mid rang coaxial output source. Like some DVD player, PC sound card, low/mid rang CDP like the Marantz CD67, ect. If the coaxial output source already quite Hi-end, don't expect the Digital Interface can improve on SQ.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back