Audio-GD NFB-12
Mar 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #796 of 2,278

Quote:

Tthis sounds a bit like you have a certain (small) AC-Voltage on the case o-)
Can happen. I don't know your local power supply system. In Europe it can help to put the mains connector the other way around in the wall socket.
Anyway you should check if your grounding connecting is proper.
Some people mention the influence of these issues on sound...

BR

Michael

Hm... I'm going to try to track this down.  The particular outlet I am using doesn't have a great ground, but, I get the same result with other outlets that are properly grounded.  At least in my 130 year old house.  I'll take it to work and ty there, where everything is conditioned.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #797 of 2,278
One other thing I noticed: you know the buzz you get when you plug in the headphones when the amp is turned on?  I get that even when the amp is turned off, and I plug in the headphones.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #798 of 2,278
Well, after a bit of research i have bit the bullet and started the process to order myself the NFB-12.

EDIT: And its ordered! Cant Wait! Estimated shipping is Middle of April

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #800 of 2,278
Quote:
hi guys, do you think my unit will be ok if I let it run for 80 hours straight at work computer for the weekend?

The unit runs warm with out any ventilation?

I think you should be just fine. When I had mine, I would always leave mine on to avoid having to warm it up and it never got too hot.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #801 of 2,278
I asked Edwin how's progress for next lot of shipping and just got a reply.

He said they don't have enough stock of NFB-12 chassis, but they're woking hard to get them out as soon as possible.

...so the wait continues...
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #803 of 2,278
I just got mine in yesterday. I can't get it to work with windows 7. Device manager says there is a device connected: TE7022 Audio with SPDIF. Can someone please tell me how to make this my default audio device when I plug it into my computer? It happens automatically when I plug in my iBasso D2+.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #804 of 2,278
tarnishedhalo: I actually had to turn the NFB-12 off and back on again before the USB audio device would start correctly. Before that, double clicking the device in Device Manager would yield a status that told me that "Windows was unable to start the device." If Windows doesn't report that the device is functioning correctly, it won't appear in the list of audio devices available for playback.

To set the NFB-12 as the default audio device, you can take the long way around and go through Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices, then right click the TE7022 device and hit "Set as Default Device". I use the shortcut; I simply right click the speaker icon in the System Tray (down by the clock) and hit "Playback devices" to open the same dialog box.

Bear in mind that you don't actually need to set it as the default audio device unless you want absolutely everything playing back through the headphones. Most audio applications will allow you to explicitly select your playback device, which should include allowing you to select the TE7022 for playback. If you aren't seeing the TE7022 in the list, it probably means that something went wrong in the device installation, which could be anything from a defective USB interface on the NFB-12 to a more severe issue with Windows itself. Drivers for the device are included with Windows XP/Vista/7, so you shouldn't be required to do anything special. Be sure to try the unit on another PC if you think this may be the case.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #805 of 2,278

Quote:
I just got mine in yesterday. I can't get it to work with windows 7. Device manager says there is a device connected: TE7022 Audio with SPDIF. Can someone please tell me how to make this my default audio device when I plug it into my computer? It happens automatically when I plug in my iBasso D2+.

Is it set as your default device under Playback Devices (rght click volume control)? When you're playing audio through it, does it register as going to the device (bars turning green under playback devices). When you change audio devices, you may have to restart your music program to make it take effect.

Also might be a silly thing, make sure the button on the front is set to USB.

edit: durrr repeating the guy above me

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #806 of 2,278
I would like to know how does NFB -12 compare with Audio-GD Fun sound quality wise. I'm also interested in knowing the difference in sound signatures between these. I'm aware there is a separate thread on this, but that one has long become dormant. Being closer in price and an already well known product, want to know how does NFB-12 compare with it. The dual WM8741 has become the platform design for Audio-GD's wolfson based DACs. How does the single WM8741 in Fun stand up? Whether to go NFB-12 or FUN way?

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #807 of 2,278
I would like to know how does NFB -12 compare with Audio-GD Fun sound quality wise. I'm also interested in knowing the difference in sound signatures between these. I'm aware there is a separate thread on this, but that one has long become dormant. Being closer in price and an already well known product, want to know how does NFB-12 compare with it. The dual WM8741 has become the platform design for Audio-GD's wolfson based DACs. How does the single WM8741 in Fun stand up? Whether to go NFB-12 or FUN way?

While I haven't used the FUN to compare it to the NFB-12, I've used the Sparrow. Comparing the NFB-12 to Sparrow WM8741 briefly they are very similar in signature, although overall the NFB-12 seems slightly darker. Sparrow has been said to sound pretty much identical to the FUN, just limited in connectivity.

The NFB-12, Sparrow, and FUN should all carry roughly the same signature and it comes down to preferences in connectivity and versatility. FUN has more options in tweaking sound (OPA swaps) and a better PSU, it is seemingly a better unit than the NFB-12 when you aren't taking into consideration the prices. Then again the dual DAC of the NFB-12 may give you better channel separation. Basically, the FUN costs 50% more than the NFB-12, but it's not exactly better unless you want to swap OPA.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #808 of 2,278

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't clear about this earlier. Is there any advantage in the parts used in FUN- version B over the SMDs used in NFB-12? The power supply has been emphasized many times in the context of Audio-gd products. So, does the better PSU in FUN has advantages compared to NFB-12 or is NFB-12 is in scale(as it is a comparitively smaller unit)?

Quote:
Quote:

While I haven't used the FUN to compare it to the NFB-12, I've used the Sparrow. Comparing the NFB-12 to Sparrow WM8741 briefly they are very similar in signature, although overall the NFB-12 seems slightly darker. Sparrow has been said to sound pretty much identical to the FUN, just limited in connectivity.

The NFB-12, Sparrow, and FUN should all carry roughly the same signature and it comes down to preferences in connectivity and versatility. FUN has more options in tweaking sound (OPA swaps) and a better PSU, it is seemingly a better unit than the NFB-12 when you aren't taking into consideration the prices. Then again the dual DAC of the NFB-12 may give you better channel separation. Basically, the FUN costs 50% more than the NFB-12, but it's not exactly better unless you want to swap OPA.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #810 of 2,278
I just wanted to report that my NFB-12 is all I hoped it would be. There are no issues with Windows XP recognition through it's USB connection and that's all I use.

Today I tried it's DAC with a Panasonic Blu-ray BD80 playing CD's through the optical out with the NFB feeding my little Miniwatt and the sound was comparable to my expensive tube CDP.

For anyone with a low powered flea amp you'll appreciate the nice gain the NFB preamp section offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back