Audio-GD NFB-12
Mar 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #781 of 2,278
I have had my NFB-12 for a week now.  I have HD-650 headphones (standard cable) and find the NFB-12 does the job well.  I do have a beresford caiman which I have been using as a preamp.  Caiman has a headphone setup as well which sounds fine with the HD-650
I don't find the treble to be toned down at all with the NFB-12 on the HD-650 at least compared with the Caiman which I am told is neutral in sound.  The interesting thing is that my ipod touch (3) powers the HD 650 fine at full volume.  In fact there really is only a little difference in sound quality unless I am listening at higher volumes than the Ipod can deliver which is surprising.  I dont think that is poor reflection on the NFB-12, probably moreso on my ears!

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #783 of 2,278
I read that the NFB-12 is recommended for headphone that are brighter (Like Beyer & Grado) and was wondering if that claim was for the AMP section only or does it include the DAC section?

My dilemma is that I currently own HD-650 and DT-880/600 (And like them both) and want to buy a new DAC to complement my MAD EAR+ Tube amplifier and was wondering if the NFB-12 DAC would be a good fit. I'm planning to buy a Logitech Squeezebox Touch as a source via optical from the NFB.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Also anyone knows when the Promo price will be ending?
Thanks

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #784 of 2,278
Quote:
I read that the NFB-12 is recommended for headphone that are brighter (Like Beyer & Grado) and was wondering if that claim was for the AMP section only or does it include the DAC section?

My dilemma is that I currently own HD-650 and DT-880/600 (And like them both) and want to buy a new DAC to complement my MAD EAR+ Tube amplifier and was wondering if the NFB-12 DAC would be a good fit. I'm planning to buy a Logitech Squeezebox Touch as a source via optical from the NFB.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Also anyone knows when the Promo price will be ending?
Thanks

It's for both the DAC and the amp. I was wondering the same thing before I bought it a couple weeks ago, and I got it answered here also.

It'll be a better idea to go for the NFB-11.

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #785 of 2,278
The NFB-12 is a good match for my Grado's and it's DAC performance is very close to the DAC in my MHZS 66F tubed CDP. My music files have never sounded better through the USB and are hardly distinguishable from CD's. The only con so far is the annoying crackle when switching inputs but that's not hard to live with.

I'm still not clear on what the variable vs fixed outputs actually do. The volume control functions the same for each.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #786 of 2,278

Quote:

I'm still not clear on what the variable vs fixed outputs actually do. The volume control functions the same for each.

I'm pretty sure those functions are meant for using the NFB-12 as a preamp, when you use the DAC out. With the variable setting, the NFB-12 will still control the volume of the ouput signal. With the fixed setting, the volume knob won't have any effect on the output signal, but it's akin to keeping it at 12o'clock.

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #787 of 2,278

Quote:

According to the product page: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB12/NFB12EN.htm (down near the bottom), there's an internal jumper that controls whether or not fixed output mode is enabled. If your volume knob functions in both modes, I'm betting that you currently have the amp set to "Variable only."

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #788 of 2,278

Quote:
According to the product page: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB12/NFB12EN.htm (down near the bottom), there's an internal jumper that controls whether or not fixed output mode is enabled. If your volume knob functions in both modes, I'm betting that you currently have the amp set to "Variable only."

Agreed, this is most certainly the issue. My NFB-12 arrived in "Variable only" mode (ie, the knob adjusts the volume whether the switch is set to "variable" or "fixed). Since I have no need for the "fixed" mode, I haven't bothered to correct it.

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #789 of 2,278
I have listened to mine now about 30 hours, with my Senn HD-650.  I'm very pleased.  Whereas I might be interested in comparing it to an NFB-11, it sounds great now, with the entire spectrum of music I listen to (which is very broad).

One very odd thing: when the unit is plugged in, there is the slightest of vibration.  This vibration is present when the unit is off as well as on - it does not change.  It's so slight, I almost didn't notice it, or thought it was my imagination.  Then I was reaching over it, and brushed the top, as was surprised.  My I lightly rub my fingers on the case (side, top) the vibration is much more noticeable.  Just gently rubbing the fingers across the case feels like rubbing your finger on the rim of a crystal wine glass.  Thinking it may be a slight texture to the case, I unplugged the unit, and as soon as I did, the vibration went away.  It's like a subtle hum.  Anyone else experience this?

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #791 of 2,278

Quote:

One very odd thing: when the unit is plugged in, there is the slightest of vibration.  This vibration is present when the unit is off as well as on - it does not change.  It's so slight, I almost didn't notice it, or thought it was my imagination.  Then I was reaching over it, and brushed the top, as was surprised.  My I lightly rub my fingers on the case (side, top) the vibration is much more noticeable.  Just gently rubbing the fingers across the case feels like rubbing your finger on the rim of a crystal wine glass.  Thinking it may be a slight texture to the case, I unplugged the unit, and as soon as I did, the vibration went away.  It's like a subtle hum.  Anyone else experience this?

Odd indeed. I haven't felt even the slightest vibration or movement from my unit. I tried putting it on different surfaces to see if there would be a more prominent reverb somewhere, but I felt nothing. On/off, it feels the same. Perhaps you should contact kingwa?

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #793 of 2,278

Quote:
I have listened to mine now about 30 hours, with my Senn HD-650.  I'm very pleased.  Whereas I might be interested in comparing it to an NFB-11, it sounds great now, with the entire spectrum of music I listen to (which is very broad).

So for everyone with Senn HD-650 the sound from the NFB-12 doesn`t seem to be to dark? I'm still trying to make a decision and I own the HD-650 and DT880/600 so looking to match both  and I'm not very excited on NFB-11 without a USB option. So I'm debating between this and a HDP.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #794 of 2,278

Quote:

Tthis sounds a bit like you have a certain (small) AC-Voltage on the case o-)
Can happen. I don't know your local power supply system. In Europe it can help to put the mains connector the other way around in the wall socket.
Anyway you should check if your grounding connecting is proper.
Some people mention the influence of these issues on sound...

BR

Michael

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #795 of 2,278

Quote:
So for everyone with Senn HD-650 the sound from the NFB-12 doesn`t seem to be to dark? I'm still trying to make a decision and I own the HD-650 and DT880/600 so looking to match both  and I'm not very excited on NFB-11 without a USB option. So I'm debating between this and a HDP.

I do not have an NFB-11 to compare it to (although I wouldn't mind trying it), but with the NFB-12 the HD-650 sounds is great.  Very lush. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back