Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #422 of 2,278
I can't figure out why you're blowing what I'm saying way out of the freaking water. I never said it was ruining my life, and I'm not complaining about the product itself (if I was do you think I would still have my order placed?), I'm voicing my concerns regarding the communication between customer and company.

Did I consider any of that stuff you mentioned? Yes, but they've never mentioned any of it. What they do mention is an upcoming Holiday and asking if they should resume selling a different product. This bothers me as it's not hard to say "Sorry guys, we're getting backed up so things will be slow going". We only know about the newest delay because someone mentioned it, and it just bugs me.

It's not the end of the world that someone's not pleased with the communication between customer and company so relax and find something more useful to do than complain about someones annoyance with it. See, I can do the exact same thing as you!
wink_face.gif

Quote:
If you really had an understanding about delays then you'd realize holidays aren't the only things that can contribute to your NFB-12 being delayed and ruining your life. Did you consider they might be short staffed for all their orders? Parts shortages? Unexpected things like someone stealing all the volume knobs? Other surprises like the easter bunny popping out of the closet and having a crazy party with the audio-gd staff.  
It's not the end of the world that these NFB-12's  are delayed so relax and find something more useful to do than complain about a handmade product that was for the most part made to order, that has been delayed.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #423 of 2,278
For everyone that's complaining you should cancel your orders so other people can get theirs faster ^_^*

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #424 of 2,278

Quote:
I can't figure out why you're blowing what I'm saying way out of the freaking water.

It's not the end of the world that someone's not pleased with the communication between customer and company so relax and find something more useful to do than complain about someones annoyance with it. See, I can do the exact same thing as you!
wink_face.gif

It's what I do best, to get under your skin, to make you love me, etc... I guess us Canadians really have nothing better to do than to squabble over the internet. Thats why CANADA IS THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

oh yeah, and you can't expect a company to report everything to you. I think it's a general understanding if you want an update on your order that you should initiate some contact and find out. They respond very well to emails and perhaps even better through a phone call :)

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #426 of 2,278
Learning Japanese, does that count? :wink:

Though for giggles I translated "Sorry guys, we're getting backed up so things will be slow going" into Chinese and back to English, only to get this enjoyable Jibberish; "Sorry, guys, we are supporting such a thing, it will definitely slow the pace of development,". Didn't turn out as bad as I figured it would!

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #427 of 2,278

Quote:
Quick update with the M50 - I am pretty impressed now. The soundstage is wide, tall and open with good instrument separation. Mids sound great, highs sound great. As good as I have heard them. Bass has tightened up a little and has some good impact. There is some fuzziness with the lower notes on guitars and some male vocals, but it's not bad, just not transparent. This is probably more the M50 than the amp. Still, Low gain isn't as good as High. Overall I would say the M50 / NFB-12 is an excellent combo. 

Currawong - Thanks and I am thinking you are right about the impedance. I don't think I really like it with my HD580, but I need to spend some more time. I have been focusing on the M50 today.

Thanks for the update!

I think this will be the perfect upgrade for my M50's.  Ordering now. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #428 of 2,278
FWIW, mine shipped 2 days earlier than the second promised date they gave me. 

DHL delivered to my house this afternoon but I'm in the office now ... will probably try it out tonight if I have the time and see how it sounds .... :)

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #429 of 2,278
My amp, my AMP!
Has not come yet.....

Been waiting since December from the AudioGD agent in UK.

They told me that they have been receiving NFB-12s from AudioGD as they've been making them,
and will ship out to us as they receive and test them by end of January.

What's the date?
31 Jan 2011.

My question is - who in this forum that ordered NFB-12s from AmpCity has received theirs already?
I'm trying to gauge what's actually happening
AND
whether I really am gonna receive them soon..
OR
am just another victim of PR hogwash.

Any takers?

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #430 of 2,278

Quote:

See for yourself what they did, it is not only 1 but at least 6 or maybe even 8. I am sure it is not for grounding 

Some are at very hard to reach places, This one is just under the power connector. 

There is one on the other side of the power socket right in the corner. Which even for me to take photo is difficult. 
In fact almost all the corner ones are soldered. To solder this on the screw, would takes plenty of heat. 

Need at least 2 skills personal to remove this kind of locking mechanism. One to apply the heat and one to unscrew. 

Sure enough.  That is strange - unconventional.  Someone in a later post suggested the intent might be to prevent someone from removing the screw from this side.  That makes sense, I suppose.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #431 of 2,278
So I just got my NFB-12 today. Using optical from my PC to the NFB-12 and plugging my T1 in directly, the sound is far better than Xonar DX + LD MKIII combo that I was using in the short term after I gave my Sparrow away. The sound is warmer, crisper, and sounds separation is better. Everything just feels "fuller". I had to remove the equalizer setting I was using in the meanwhile which was boosting the lower to mid bass by a couple dB, and removing a couple dBs from the highs, because it was overly warm after putting the NFB-12 in place. It's just right with the EQ off, I could settle with using this as a dedicated DAC/Amp for my T1, DT990, or DT880. I could definitely see why the NFB-12 wouldn't be too suitable for Sennheisers like the HD580/600/650 as it would make an already warm headphone that much more veiled, it seems like the NFB-11 would be better suited for those as it's a brighter, more revealing DAC/amp (and also less forgiving with recording).

Setting it to High gain on about 10'o clock gets the highest comfortable volume for me on my T1, on low gain it needs to be set at around 3'o clock or more, and even then still sounds kind of hollow.

The size of the unit is quite a bit longer than my Sparrow was, it's actually almost identical in size to the LD MKIII in width and length, just not height because of the MKIII'd transformer and tubes sticking out top.

Tried USB briefly to see if it experienced some issues other people had with noise - no issues, the optical vs USB isn't easy for me to differentiate, but I didn't bother using USB very long.

Using it as a dedicated DAC, mine came with it set to "variable only" so I had to open it up and change the jumper. The gain switch still works in fixed mode, setting High gain is required to get proper output to my LD MKIII (which is also set to it's highest gain setting), it seemingly works out perfectly because it allows the MKIII to sit at the perfect 11-12'o clock on the volume pot for a maximum usable volume.

Anyways I've only used it for about half an hour, so it's hard to really say too much more. Everything is just better, this was the slight warmth that my T1 needed to make them perfect for me again.

Also, here's a picture

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #432 of 2,278
Thanks for writing that up after only having it for a little bit.  

Cmon people, follow suit.  Tell me what you hear.

Quote:
So I just got my NFB-12 today. Using optical from my PC to the NFB-12 and plugging my T1 in directly, the sound is far better than Xonar DX + LD MKIII combo that I was using in the short term after I gave my Sparrow away. The sound is warmer, crisper, and sounds separation is better. Everything just feels "fuller". I had to remove the equalizer setting I was using in the meanwhile which was boosting the lower to mid bass by a couple dB, and removing a couple dBs from the highs, because it was overly warm after putting the NFB-12 in place. It's just right with the EQ off, I could settle with using this as a dedicated DAC/Amp for my T1, DT990, or DT880. I could definitely see why the NFB-12 wouldn't be too suitable for Sennheisers like the HD580/600/650 as it would make an already warm headphone that much more veiled, it seems like the NFB-11 would be better suited for those as it's a brighter, more revealing DAC/amp (and also less forgiving with recording).

Setting it to High gain on about 10'o clock gets the highest comfortable volume for me on my T1, on low gain it needs to be set at around 3'o clock or more, and even then still sounds kind of hollow.

The size of the unit is quite a bit longer than my Sparrow was, it's actually almost identical in size to the LD MKIII in width and length, just not height because of the MKIII'd transformer and tubes sticking out top.

Tried USB briefly to see if it experienced some issues other people had with noise - no issues, the optical vs USB isn't easy for me to differentiate, but I didn't bother using USB very long.

Using it as a dedicated DAC, mine came with it set to "variable only" so I had to open it up and change the jumper. The gain switch still works in fixed mode, setting High gain is required to get proper output to my LD MKIII (which is also set to it's highest gain setting), it seemingly works out perfectly because it allows the MKIII to sit at the perfect 11-12'o clock on the volume pot for a maximum usable volume.

Anyways I've only used it for about half an hour, so it's hard to really say too much more. Everything is just better, this was the slight warmth that my T1 needed to make them perfect for me again.

Also, here's a picture

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #433 of 2,278
Got mine today as well, and I cannot stop listening to it! It is giving new life to songs I've listened to so many times before. I totally agree with Elanzer take that everything sounds "fuller." I have it hooked up USB to my PC with foobar, and have no problems. I think the HD650s sound amazing with it - I'm getting no veil whatsoever and actually think it has made the HD650s much more fun to listen to.

I'm a bit confused with the whole variable versus fixed mode. I want to use my amplified speakers (m-audio bx5a) with the DAC out - what would be the recommended setting if I want to use the NFB-12 to control volume? Do I need to change any jumpers??

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #434 of 2,278
Fixed just means the NFB-12 has no part in volume control (equal to setting the NFB-12 to 12o'clock). Variable means that the volume knob on the NFB-12 controls the output to the speakers. If you want to use the speaker's volume control then you would want fixed. There's nothing to change to get variable output so the NFB-12 can control the speaker's volume, just set the dial to variable dac-out and go at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back