Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #361 of 2,278
Damn I ordered mine Dec 15th and I haven't got any mail .......

Elanzer can you confirm that you ordered yours day 17 ??

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #362 of 2,278
Wow! Mine left hong kong yesterday, went to Ohio, out for delivery here in Texas. That is fast!

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #363 of 2,278

Quote:

I guess I should feel lucky; I got notice that mine had just been shipped out, and I waited until Dec31st to place my order!

I had been talking with them about the NFB-12 for a couple weeks earlier than that, but I don't see why/how they'd start building anything before I made the official order..

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #364 of 2,278

Quote:
Quote:

I guess I should feel lucky; I got notice that mine had just been shipped out, and I waited until Dec31st to place my order!

I had been talking with them about the NFB-12 for a couple weeks earlier than that, but I don't see why/how they'd start building anything before I made the official order..

Yea you should, I ordered on the 21st and still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation yet.  I'm very eager to try it out against my HDP.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #365 of 2,278

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know how Audio GD usually prices their gear after the initial price?

~15% increase from the promo price.

Thats not a bad price either. It's still a very cheap dac/amp.

Have many people received theirs? I'd love to know how the amplifier performance does. The specs looks to be good but has anyone tried it with some harder to drive headphones?

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #373 of 2,278
Opening - I haven't had time to compare this to my old DAC and Hybrid Tube amp. I will post again once I get to do a comparison. I am especially intrigued to see how the DAC section stacks up against my old one. I am using FLAC files through the coax out of my X-Fi with bit perfect output.

Package - Well packed. The optical cable looks decent with a white braided sleeve covered in a clear tubing with gray and yellow plugs. USB and power cable are generic. Came with 10 jumpers as well.
Build - This thing is solid and well built. Bottom of mine was scratched up pretty bad, but the rest of the case was in perfect condition. I need to get some rubber feet for it though.
Highs - Fairly detailed, but smooth. Doesn't have that decay that goes on forever with things like cymbals. Female vocals that have that Sssss definitely get smoothed out and slightly chopped off. So this might be good or bad depending on your preference. I didn't noticed any difference on High/Low gain.
Mids - Forward and energetic on High gain. Slightly more mellow on Low gain. I think this amp shines in the mids. On Low, it was boring at times, but more balanced with the highs. On High I had to listen a tad more to pick out some details, but this was slight.
Bass - Fairly tight and very deep. Maybe boomy at times. With my HD580 this was a nice thing, with my M50 it was a bit much at times.
Soundstage - Pretty nice, but my initial impression is that it isn't particularly wide or deep. Low gain seemed to provide a tad more depth and High provided less depth, but more width. These differences were slight.
High/Low gain - With my 300ohm HD580 I could max out the volume on Low, but it was still at listening level for most music. On High I only got to 11-12 o'clock. With the M50 there was plenty of headroom on both. Most of the differences I talked about were more apparent with the Sennheiser, so I am not sure if that is impedance related or the Senn being the superior headphone. With either phone, the High gain was more dynamic and played effortlessly and with more energy. I can't imagine ever using Low gain.
Other - There is music playing at the lowest volume, but this shouldn't be a problem for most. Dead quiet through 11 o'clock with no music playing, then some typical amp hiss creeps in, but it is very low in volume, especially with higher impedance phones.

Conclusion - Seems like a solid product, especially at this price point. I'm not sure it is the best match for Sennheisers, but only because of the lack of extension in the Highs. Again, a preference thing. With the forward mids, deep bass and smooth top end, this might be a perfect match for the 880/600. I might have to buy it again to test. Again, these are initial impressions, so I might totally change my opinion after a week or so and after I compare to my existing setup.

UPDATE - A quick comparison to my 13 year old DAC is that the the NFB-12 is congested in the mids and probably not as transparent. Also, comparing the NFB-12 amp to my 3 year old, $90 hybrid tube amp is that the tube amp might be more detailed and dynamic. Sennheisers are known for their synergy with tube amps, so this is not real surprising. More to come....

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #374 of 2,278
According to Audio MIDI Setup utility on my iMac, the USB audio interface is displayed as "TE7022 Audio w/ SPDIF". It can support up to 96kHz sample rate and 24-bit bit depth. No driver installation is necessary and the volume levels for both channels can still be adjusted just like iMac's internal speakers.

By comparing between sound outputs through the TE7022 USB interface and through coaxial interface from M2Tech's HiFace Evo USB-to-SPDIF converter, difference is not too much except dynamic and clarity are not as good. HiFace Evo supports up to 192kHz sample rate whereas for TE7022 it is only up to 96kHz sample rate. But when sample rate for HiFace Evo is set to 192kHz in Audio MIDI Setup utility, cracking noise will appear in headphone and line outputs.

Quote:
For those of you who have one of these, what is the USB input like? What chip is being used? Is there a digital transformer in the input section like the digital pulse transformer from http://www.scientificonversion.com/dualZo.html ? Can we get a really high res picture of the USB and other inputs section?

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #375 of 2,278
Slaughter, you probably heard it already, but just wanted to remind you that many people think the sound will change a lot and settle after ~300 hours of use. I almost always listen for the first 10-30 hours and not do any burn-in or warm-up when I get a new gear because I think the first hours of listening is when the sound characteristics of a new gear is most apparent,  because new changes to your setup may be easier to discern, and/or because it is minimally burned in or warmed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back