Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #346 of 2,278

Quote:

What surprise me what the transformer. It is a bit small and light.
One possible mod would be to Use a bigger Transformer in a secondary enclosure to feed this.

There are at 3 nos of 317 linear regulator for the digital section and 1 7805 
3 more pair of KingWa's discrete regulator for the analogue section ( 3 pair as in 3 positive and 3 negative). 

I am now listening to my NFB12 with the case open. Some of the heatsink is warm to the touch. 
Burning in now.  

...I still need to wait till end of February to get it... :)...

Madwolf, is the transformer run warm or hot (I know it is encapsulated, so a bit difficult to really know the temperature...)? if it stay barely warm or even cool... then I don't think the bigger  transformer would affect the sound... but if it is felt hot, then bigger transformer (means better regulation) usually could affect the sound... (for better or worse, that's another story...)

have you allocate the cap for the digital section? changing that with Oscon might be a good tweak...

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #347 of 2,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One possible mod would be to Use a bigger Transformer in a secondary enclosure to feed this.

This shouldn't matter.  What matters is the load on the transformer and it's rated duty.  A shield, dunno, it's hard to say.

That's a nice looking output buffer stage.  It reminds me of the Dynalo.  Can you identify the transistors in the buffer section?

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #348 of 2,278
Ah I just got an email saying mine got shipped out via DHL yesterday, I can't wait.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #350 of 2,278

Quote:
If you have the choice of optical to the nfb-12 in the first place, why would you use a separate unit to convert optical to USB to get around the grounding issue for USB? That doesn't make much sense, especially since optical in theory should be better than USB on the NFB-12 anyways. Your groundloop issue shouldn't carry over toslink.

My laptop doesn't have toslink out 

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #352 of 2,278

Quote:

Quote:

There are at 3 nos of 317 linear regulator for the digital section and 1 7805 
3 more pair of KingWa's discrete regulator for the analogue section ( 3 pair as in 3 positive and 3 negative). 

I am now listening to my NFB12 with the case open. Some of the heatsink is warm to the touch. 
Burning in now.  

...I still need to wait till end of February to get it... :)...

Madwolf, is the transformer run warm or hot (I know it is encapsulated, so a bit difficult to really know the temperature...)? if it stay barely warm or even cool... then I don't think the bigger  transformer would affect the sound... but if it is felt hot, then bigger transformer (means better regulation) usually could affect the sound... (for better or worse, that's another story...)

have you allocate the cap for the digital section? changing that with Oscon might be a good tweak...

The transformer is running at around 40degree C. It felt warm I would leave my finger on it for a long time. 
Yes I know where the caps are for the digital section. They are mainly 25v 100uf. Polymer or OSCON seem to be cool over here. 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This shouldn't matter.  What matters is the load on the transformer and it's rated duty.  A shield, dunno, it's hard to say.

That's a nice looking output buffer stage.  It reminds me of the Dynalo.  Can you identify the transistors in the buffer section?

You mean the individual transistor in the diamond stage ? It is a bit small. I only see the numbers on the pass Transistor in the regulators 
Need some sunlight. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #354 of 2,278

Quote:
Quote:
I asked about the availability of this product and was told it's so in demand that the end of February is when I would get mine shipped.  Dear gosh! @_@

That mean you will possibly get it at the end of March  :)

You should still jump on it and get that Lunar New Year discount.

As long as he doesn't get it shipped by EMS, shipping time shouldn't be so long. China post is so backed up from Christmas that many people haven't received parcels sent in November yet. DHL will probably charge some brokerage fees, but audio-gd seems pretty good about underclaiming the value to help you avoid those charges  - I think my Sparrow was valued at ~$80 on the papers when I received it via EMS?

I think as a default, audio-gd is quoting DHL now anyways, because of the month long delays with EMS.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #355 of 2,278

My NFB-12 was valued at 85USD when send with DHL.
The will now change the value lower, so the item is not stock in customs.

well i needed to pay40USD to the swedish customs (tax+customs fee) … but the my governments fault and not Audio-gd……

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #358 of 2,278

Quote:
The transformer is running at around 40degree C. It felt warm I would leave my finger on it for a long time. 
Yes I know where the caps are for the digital section. They are mainly 25v 100uf. Polymer or OSCON seem to be cool over here. 

40C is fine.

Quote:
You mean the individual transistor in the diamond stage ? It is a bit small. I only see the numbers on the pass Transistor in the regulators 
Need some sunlight. 

Yes, the individual transistors.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #359 of 2,278
might have to sell my ibasso d2 for this. but cant post an ad due to the post count><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back