Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #316 of 2,278
I had never got an answer to any of my mails, but today I received a shipping number.....so things seem to be moving
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #317 of 2,278

Quote:
"Has anyone purchased from Pacific Valve before?"

Yes, when I needed a replacement socket for a tube amp they wouldn't sell me one or advise where to buy it. A friend tried to get some missing screws for his remote but they had none. PV buys unaltered products directly from China and customers pay a huge markup for service they don't deliver.

With regards to AGD product you actually SAVE money because you can buy any AGD product at the same price listed on the AGD web site, shipped FREE.  You just have to wait a little longer because PV with double box and forward to your address.  Also they are Authorized to repair AGD products so if something goes wrong you dont have to ship all the way back to China.

Two sides to every coin.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #319 of 2,278
My NFB-12 arrived yesterday. Ordered on 11/22, received notice of shipping on 1/12, delivered 1/18. Not too bad.

It's still early of course, but my initial reaction is... the NFB-12 is much colder and more neutral than the DAC-19/C2 combination I previously owned. I won't comment further on the sound until I've run it in a bit more. It's a marvel for its size and price, and is without a doubt a great unit for the office.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #320 of 2,278

Quote:
Audio-GD quoted me the NFB-12 right now for $234.60 shipped DHL.  Pacific Valve has it right now for $237.00.  Seems like the shipping from China gets folded in to the price.

I've compared buying from PV and A-GD on several occasions, and in each case the quoted price was within a few dollars of each other. Once you take into account PayPal fees and shipping costs charged by Audio-GD for direct orders, there is essentially no markup in the Pacific Valve price.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #321 of 2,278
Ordered on 9 Dec receive this today. 

Dear Sir,
[size=12pt]Your goods we had sent out yesterday,and because the DHL tracking number need several days then can received,so that as long as we received the tracking number,we will sent it to you,thanks.[/size]

Audio-gd.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #322 of 2,278

Congratulations madwolf! you will probably receive the unit quicker then the tracking number... And I Think that DHL Express HK->Singapore should be rather quick!

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #323 of 2,278

Quote:
Well, they just told me they will arrange for shipment this saturday, so maybe not such a long wait. I ordered on Dec 17th.

Oh boy, I asked them today and I was told they would try to send it before the 28, But I bought mine Dec 15th. 

Please do tell me if they ship yours this weeked, if they don't do the same to me I will cancel my order.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #324 of 2,278
I ordered the NFB-12 for it's DAC but the headphone capability has started me to look in that direction. I haven't had a pair of phones since the old Koss Pro4 A's back in the day. I do have other amp options such as a Topping TP21 and Marantz integraded with headphone jacks as well as a Miniwatt S1( headphone adaptor is available ). Can I assume that the NFB-12 would be a better headphone amp than these other options?

As far as a good match for the NFB-12 should I be considering the entry level Grado's or something on the higher end such as the Senn HD600 or the AKG K701?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #325 of 2,278

The NFB-12 will be better then any Integrated amp´s headphone out, they are design to driver speakers and not headphones and are usually only speaker-out+resistor. The headphone out in  Integrated amps is just a bad future to sell more units, and not quality. So any dedicated headphone amp will sound better.

Well i think you can enjoy the NFB-12 with Grado SR80 or Alessandro ms-1 as these sound better amped too, so you not "wasting" the power of cheaper phones. It´s all up to how much you want to spend and witch sound you want.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #326 of 2,278
Hi, 

I'm preparing for the NFB-12, so before it arrives I need to buy some cables. I do have a question.

Lots of ppl, not only in this thread, do say that it's better to use the Optical / Coax, compared with the USB input.

I have a X-fi Xtreme Music that only has a flexijack I/O

So I will need to buy:

- Mini -> rca cable ; for coax input
- Mini -> Toslink  ; for optical input

Is one solution of this better then the other ?

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #327 of 2,278
To computer i will always recommend optical, if you have ground problem in your computer optical will not be affected as coaxial. But i don’t think you will hear any difference between coxial and optical.

You will get a small optical cable with your NFB-12, and if its size fits you, you can always by a cheap minitoslin->toslink adapter for a really small sum.
i got my today for 1,5USD, will try it out tomorrow!
http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-To-Optical-Mini-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #328 of 2,278
One can get this USB Isolator to get rid of the ground loop problem: http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces/

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #329 of 2,278
hi everyone,

my Audio-GD NFB-12 is on the way, and I'm wondering what the best way to connect it to my desktop is. i will need 5 feet of cable length, and it would need to go through one fairly tight 90-degree bend when it comes down off the top of my desk into the gap between the desk and the wall and down to my computer. for this reason, i was thinking i might prefer coax over optical? any thoughts on this?

one other quick question... i will be using ASIO/Winamp bit-perfect output. if i have a soundcard installed, but use the optical or coax out on my motherboard to connect to the NFB-12, the sound will bypass the Windows k-mixer and my soundcard and stream directly to the DAC, right?

thanks.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #330 of 2,278
I wouldn't bend a cable 90 degrees. If you arch it a little, then you shouldn't have such a drastic bend. Optical cables tend to be more flexible though, but can't handle as much abuse. If I am not mistaken your motherboard audio would need to support ASIO. You should still be able to kernel streaming or WASAPI (not sure if available for winamp) that will bypass kmixer.

Quote:
hi everyone,

my Audio-GD NFB-12 is on the way, and I'm wondering what the best way to connect it to my desktop is. i will need 5 feet of cable length, and it would need to go through one fairly tight 90-degree bend when it comes down off the top of my desk into the gap between the desk and the wall and down to my computer. for this reason, i was thinking i might prefer coax over optical? any thoughts on this?

one other quick question... i will be using ASIO/Winamp bit-perfect output. if i have a soundcard installed, but use the optical or coax out on my motherboard to connect to the NFB-12, the sound will bypass the Windows k-mixer and my soundcard and stream directly to the DAC, right?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back