Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #182 of 2,278
[size=medium]Don’t know the shipping time, i just need to wait (as i haven’t done that on the NFB-12 :p )[/size]
[size=medium]Will post my impression when i get it! Don’t know in the members in the US will get there NFB-12 quicker.[/size]

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #184 of 2,278
It all depends on the speakers and amp (if they are not active). And what you current source or DAC is.
But i would recommend at dedicated DC like NFB-3 if you only need a DAC.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #186 of 2,278

On a quick look you hud-mx1 has a WM8740 chip compered to the dual WM8741 chips in the NFB-12. so it should be better, the only difficult question is how much better is it? nobody know at this current moment, but it should be 100% improvement.

I believe  that the amp part in the hud-mx1 isn't as god as in the NFB-12.

especially after i saw the weight difference, 244g compared to 2kg (NFB-12)...... 

the biggest question you should ask if a small/medium improvement is worth the extra money, and if you can sell your hud-mx1 or not.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #187 of 2,278

Quote:

On a quick look you hud-mx1 has a WM8740 chip compered to the dual WM8741 chips in the NFB-12. so it should be better, the only difficult question is how much better is it? nobody know at this current moment, but it should be 100% improvement.

especially after i saw the weight difference, 244g compared to 2kg (NFB-12)...... 

the biggest question you should ask if a small/medium improvement is worth the extra money, and if you can sell your hud-mx1 or not.

You should not tell the amp quality by the weight...  :)

Audinst HUD-MX1 improve a lot with good external power supply... I tried SLA battery and shocked with the result.. the amp part is AT LEAST reaching 85% quality of Matrix M-Stage (with OPA2134 biased to class A).

My friend put good opamp to play with the Audinst and once again get a good result.

I order NFB-12 in particular to compare with Audinst...

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #188 of 2,278

I have learnt that weight for speaker amps can be a better indicate then watt rating. Especially watt to weight ratio, usually lower end will have low weight with a high watt rating.
This is just my opine and not a facts! but my last change from my Marantz 140watt 9kg receiver to my Rotel 80watt 20kg receiver was quite a good change :p

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #189 of 2,278

Quote:

I have learnt that weight for speaker amps can be a better indicate then watt rating. Especially watt to weight ratio, usually lower end will have low weight with a high watt rating.
This is just my opine and not a facts! but my last change from my Marantz 140watt 9kg receiver to my Rotel 80watt 20kg receiver was quite a good change :p

There is definitely a relationship between speakers and weight (heaviness is usually a good sign) but electronics less so.  The Musical Fidelity tri-vista dac I used to own was very large and heavy at 13 kilos.  It was a decent dac but not the last word.  It was so big and heavy in order to sell to the US market- that was obvious!

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #190 of 2,278

Quote:

You should not tell the amp quality by the weight...  :)

Audinst HUD-MX1 improve a lot with good external power supply... I tried SLA battery and shocked with the result.. the amp part is AT LEAST reaching 85% quality of Matrix M-Stage (with OPA2134 biased to class A).

My friend put good opamp to play with the Audinst and once again get a good result.

I order NFB-12 in particular to compare with Audinst...

pls make a review of this comparison 

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #191 of 2,278
The light weight of a Class D amp is no measure of how good it sounds. They can sonically stomp many heavyweights.

Ordered a NFB-12 last evening for $234 shipped to South Carolina. Considered a Gigawork 24/192 kit but my emails kept bouncing back with no way to ask questions.

OTOH, the guy at Audio GD is great at answering questions and quick to do so.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #192 of 2,278
I just saw that audio-gd put up a FAQ where the last question was:
[size=x-small]4[/size][size=x-small],What's different between the FUN, Sparrow and NFB12?

The FUN version A, Sparrow version A and NFB12 have same level sound quality  but different functions flexible.  Fun and Sparrow can replace the modules for choice different sound flavors. The FUN can replace the OPA but the Sparrow and NFB12 without OPA, the DA chips feed to ACSS modules.[/size]
[size=x-small]Model[/size]
[size=x-small]DIR module[/size]
[size=x-small]DA module[/size]
[size=x-small]OPA[/size]
[size=x-small]High/ Low Gain[/size] [size=x-small]Headamp input[/size] [size=x-small]Output[/size]
[size=x-small]FUN[/size]
[size=x-small]Can replace[/size]
[size=x-small]Had[/size] [size=x-small]Had[/size] [size=x-small]Headphone /DAC /Pre[/size]
[size=x-small]Sparrow[/size]
[size=x-small]Without OPA[/size]
    [size=x-small]Headphone /Pre (want a adapter)[/size]
[size=x-small]NFB12[/size]
[size=x-small]Fixed[/size]
[size=x-small]Fixed[/size]
[size=x-small]Without OPA[/size]
[size=x-small]Had[/size]   [size=x-small]Headphone /DAC /Pre[/size]

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #193 of 2,278
mmm the Headamp Pico Dac uses WM8740, does that mean NFB-12 should sound better than the Pico?

I already have a Gilmore Lite with DPS and I am wondering if I should sell it and just go for NFB-12 or get the Pico Dac / V-dac to complete the setup for my senn HD600.

From the NFB-11 short review, it seems that the person said the soundstage is not wide? What do you guys think?

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #195 of 2,278
Really, IMO you should be running tubes with any Sennheiser. I am bought the NFB-12 to try solid state and to see if the DAC is better than my current one.

Quote:
mmm the Headamp Pico Dac uses WM8740, does that mean NFB-12 should sound better than the Pico?

I already have a Gilmore Lite with DPS and I am wondering if I should sell it and just go for NFB-12 or get the Pico Dac / V-dac to complete the setup for my senn HD600.

From the NFB-11 short review, it seems that the person said the soundstage is not wide? What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back