Audio-GD NFB-12
Dec 18, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #47 of 2,278
I ordered one today, and they mentioned that due to the christmas season, it might not be shipped until the end of the month.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #48 of 2,278
Make sure you post a comparison to your Sparrow.

Quote:
I ordered one today, and they mentioned that due to the christmas season, it might not be shipped until the end of the month.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #49 of 2,278
Can anyone state how the NFB12 may stack up against the Fun on paper (if you do away with the Fun's versatility as a preamp)? Specifically the effect of the NFB12's dual wolfson as opposed to my Fun's single WM8741, differences in PSU, the pros and cons of doing away with hdam rolling.

The more detailed description of the NFB12's volume control being at the ACSS output stage is interesting. Doesn't the Fun work the same way?

I like the smaller footprint of the NFB12 and am willing to give up a more versatile preamp in the Fun if there are gains to be had elsewhere in the NFB12's implementation.

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #50 of 2,278
In regards to the FUN, see page 1 of this thread. ACSS works the same on both units. 

Quote:
Can anyone state how the NFB12 may stack up against the Fun on paper (if you do away with the Fun's versatility as a preamp)? Specifically the effect of the NFB12's dual wolfson as opposed to my Fun's single WM8741, differences in PSU, the pros and cons of doing away with hdam rolling.

The more detailed description of the NFB12's volume control being at the ACSS output stage is interesting. Doesn't the Fun work the same way?

I like the smaller footprint of the NFB12 and am willing to give up a more versatile preamp in the Fun if there are gains to be had elsewhere in the NFB12's implementation.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #52 of 2,278

Quote:
Make sure you post a comparison to your Sparrow.

Quote:

I won't be able to do a direct comparison since the reason I bought the NFB-12 is because I'm mailing my DT990 + Sparrow to my brother for christmas, giving myself an upgrade in the process.

Now I just have my LD MK III connected to my Xonar DX until the NFB-12 arrives. The change in sound is frustrating, everything is more condensed and cold, I hate it. Almost want to unwrap his present and just put the Sparrow back.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #53 of 2,278
Can this be used with headphones and 2.1 speakers? Do you connect the speakers, via RCA, into DAC Out? I'm not tech savvy and want to be sure if it is compatible with what I am looking for. Thanks.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #54 of 2,278

Quote:
Can this be used with headphones and 2.1 speakers? Do you connect the speakers, via RCA, into DAC Out? I'm not tech savvy and want to be sure if it is compatible with what I am looking for. Thanks.

If they're powered speakers with RCA connection, yeah you can use the DAC out. Powered speakers are speakers the amplifier built in, so you would still be doing DAC -> amp -> speakers.

DAC out is very similar to a headphone out (which would also work with your speakers), the only significant difference is the DAC out is set to a fixed volume level and goes through less stages of the amp.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #55 of 2,278
Hello Everyone,

1st Post!  Woohoo
biggrin.gif

I'm on the Pre-Order list for the NFB-12 and am very excited.  My system is not headphone based and is instead two speakers driven by an integrated tube amp.  (See avitar)  I am wondering if I should be looking at the NFB-3 though?  They seem so similiar and it does seem like a nice feature to be able to use the NFB-12s pre-amp.

Any thoughts of the NFB-12 vs. NFB-3?  I emailed Audio GD with the same question.  It does seem strange that the NFB-3 still uses the CS8416 when the WM8805 looks better on paper?

Cheers,
Robert

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #56 of 2,278

Quote:
Quote:

If they're powered speakers with RCA connection, yeah you can use the DAC out. Powered speakers are speakers the amplifier built in, so you would still be doing DAC -> amp -> speakers.

DAC out is very similar to a headphone out (which would also work with your speakers), the only significant difference is the DAC out is set to a fixed volume level and goes through less stages of the amp.

Thanks.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #57 of 2,278
Would the DAC out work with going to my onkyo receiver then out to my speakers?

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #58 of 2,278

Quote:
Would the DAC out work with going to my onkyo receiver then out to my speakers?

Yes, it would, but I would recommend to get a dedicated DAC, if you not intending to use the Amp part. You’re only using 50% of the product, so maybe a NFB-3 would suit you better.
You use the 2 RCA "DAC out" as you would any interconnector, e.g. like connecting a CD-player.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #59 of 2,278
Ahh ok, I was just making sure since I was thinking about replacing my HDP with one of these.  I think I'll bite and report back for those who're interested in a hdp vs nfb-12 showdown.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #60 of 2,278

[size=medium]

[/size]

[size=medium]

sorry for my assumption that you only needed a DAC. It always good to check, and the NFB-12 will be more like the Nuforce Icon, but without speaker connection. and added coaxial/optical input. 

That would be a nice comparison, as i have seen some people asking about it in the NFB-11 thread. My GF has the Nuforce Icon+S1+W1 setup withs is nice, but i don't feel that the Icon is a good headphone amp, not my ms1000 or Pro900 anyway. 

[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back