Audio-GD NFB-12
Aug 9, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #2,266 of 2,278
Just received my NFB-12 from a fellow Head-Fier - although he listed it as an NFB-11... and you know what? I stumble into this thread and see that it may well have been serendipitous. I'm using DT880/600 ohm cans at work, and my little O2 just wasn't cutting it. 

I am BTW planning to get my uncle's Sansui 555A recapped and pair that with either the O2 or the NFB-12. I need more power... 

But after listening to the NFB-12 for a couple of hours, I don't feel in any rush to spend another $400 on getting the Sansui fixed. Pretty darn good for this price point, although it just isn't quite revealing enough with cymbals, and the low end isn't quite there...

...so the search continues, but less hurried than it was.

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #2,267 of 2,278
  Just received my NFB-12 from a fellow Head-Fier - although he listed it as an NFB-11... and you know what? I stumble into this thread and see that it may well have been serendipitous. I'm using DT880/600 ohm cans at work, and my little O2 just wasn't cutting it. 

I am BTW planning to get my uncle's Sansui 555A recapped and pair that with either the O2 or the NFB-12. I need more power... 

But after listening to the NFB-12 for a couple of hours, I don't feel in any rush to spend another $400 on getting the Sansui fixed. Pretty darn good for this price point, although it just isn't quite revealing enough with cymbals, and the low end isn't quite there...

...so the search continues, but less hurried than it was.

Interesting you mention it... I always thought the NFB-12 and DT880/600 were a very good match. The warmth of the NFB worked well against the sterile over-brightness of the Beyer. (JMHO).
Glad you find it at least acceptable for now...
Cheers

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #2,268 of 2,278
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem here.

I don't know if it's JRiver that's causing it, Windows, or my NFB-12. 

I'm trying to play some 24-bit 96000 Hz files in JRiver MC, but whenever I go to play them, my speakers just output static. 

I have all the supported formats checked in Windows settings, and the default format is set to 2 channel, 24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality)....should I set that to 192000 instead?

I am connected through Optical cable to my PC. Hooked up to Emotiva Airmotiv 4.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,271 of 2,278
Well, I changed the filter to something that supports 192kHz according to audio-gds website, but when i go to "test" it in Windows playback devices settings, it just outputs static still.

Are my speakers perhaps the cause?

EDIT: I think I got it.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,273 of 2,278
Just wanted to post my experience with the warranty process with Audio-gd. Overall excellent experience and glad to find out they stand behind their 10 year warranty.

My NFB-12 randomly started shutting off after 4 years of heavy use and would sometimes turn back on if I toggle the power switch. I contacted them, ran through some troubleshooting steps and ended up sending it in for repairs. Since it was outside of the first year, had to pay shipping both ways but the repairs are free, so quite reasonable. The root cause was bad transformer contact.

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,275 of 2,278
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to document this issue.

It's been a long time since I or anyone has posted on this thread, but here it goes...Maybe it helps someone, maybe it doesn't.

I recently experienced a power outage, which was resolved within an hour by the utility company. When this happens, I will go to my media room just to check on my toys and make sure nothing is damaged. Everything looks okay. Couple of days goes by, and I'm in a mood to fire up my Yamaha for a listen. Source goes through the NFB-12 for conversion, then is fed to my yammie via a pair of RCAs. The yammie is on, but I get no music.
Upon close inspection, I noticed that my NFB-12 is not lit up. Try a different power cable, but nothing. It is dead.

Not shy about opening things up, I bring the NFB-12 to my workshop to take a peek. Something doesn't look right, but having never looked inside I decide to search for web images of the NFB-12 internals for comparison. Well...the transformer looks deformed. Why does the transformer have a plastic casing, and why does it have heat sinks too?? I mean, it's well recognized that plastic is a good conductor of heat.

The power outage was, I believe, completely unrelated to my dead NFB-12. I've been leaving the NFB-12 "ON" continuously, more or less, for the entire time of ownership. I believe it just cooked itself.

So this thing was roughly $200 when new, and it is now about 12 years old. Despite this I decide to contact AudioGD for service. Who knows...maybe its a known issue, and they'll help me for free.

They responded to me within 24 hours and gave me two options. I can either send the NFB-12 to AudioGD in China, or they will sell me the transformer and I can DIY it myself. The latter is the cheaper option, they tell me. The quoted cost was: $10 for the transformer, $25 for shipping, and with Paypal fees it totaled to $36.80. I tried to find information about the transformer, so that I could source it from someone more local like Digikey or Mouser, but could not get any info on it. I ordered it on a Wednesday, and received it by the following Tuesday. I am hopeful that a simple swap of the transformer will get me up and running.

Desoldering the old transformer was a pain, but I finally got it off the PCB. I then soldered the new transformer, connected the power cord, and powered it on.

Yes! I'm in business.

Attached are the "before" and "after" pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5898.JPG
    IMG_5898.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #2,277 of 2,278
Yeah, I had an issue with the transformer too. Despite the unit being at least 5 years old at the time, 2019 as I recall, Audio GD were really quick to respond. They offered to replace the part for a nominal amount as long as I covered shipping. I'm in New Zealand, and have no technical experience, so took them up on the offer. I had a fully functioning unit back within 3 months for less than $100.
I couldn't be happier with their service. 😁👍

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #2,278 of 2,278
My NFB-12 that I bought around 2011-12 recently started to make a constant buzzing sound that mostly affects the right ear channel. I tested with two headphones.
If I disconnect the device and let if "cool off" over night then the buzzing goes away for awhile until it eventually returns. I also noticed that the blue LED above the 6.5mm jack randomly goes off, usually when the buzzing gets louder.

Has anyone experiences something like this? Is my NFB-12 finally dying?

I opened up the thing to search for clues, but didn't notice any obvious problems. There was a black streak on the blue transformer thingy and it seems to get quite hot, but it wasn't bulging like in the frahengeo's pics above. I've had this thing powered on continually for over 10yrs now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back