Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Aug 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #961 of 3,093
The NFB's DAC chip is superior. Not only that, it has a powerful amp too.

The closest comparable product from Schiit would be the USB Bifrost $449, and Asgard $249 combo.

So for $333, the NFB provides better sound and an amp, compared to $700.

There just isn't any other product out that can power an HE-500, has an ESS9018, and does 32bit 384k, under $350.
should we assume you have heard both 11.32 and bifrost feeding the same amp ?

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #962 of 3,093
Quote:
should we assume you have heard both 11.32 and bifrost feeding the same amp ?

For the $400 price difference, which would buy you a second 11.32, there is no need to. I could never justify the cost for the perceived minute differences, despite the importance of the analog stage and implementation for both. I am enjoying my 11.32 immensely however, which is what matters most to me.

I'm also one of the few that believes tubes belong in my guitar amp to color the sound, not my music/movies. The 11.32 is very neutral, so it works well for me.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #963 of 3,093
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.

How do I get my browser (Chrome) to output audio through the NFB? I have it set as my default device, but no playback through youtube or other streaming services. This is pretty anoying as I have to switch off the NFB to watch youtube.

Thanks for the help!

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #964 of 3,093
Quote:
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.

How do I get my browser (Chrome) to output audio through the NFB? I have it set as my default device, but no playback through youtube or other streaming services. This is pretty anoying as I have to switch off the NFB to watch youtube.

Thanks for the help!

ASIO seems to be limited to one program at a time. Shut down foobar or whatever is playing, and then reload the browser. It also happens if your default device is not the same as the one being used in foobar, etc.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #965 of 3,093
Thanks, it seems to work sometimes, but sometimes not. Pretty annoying. 

What settings should I be using from the Audio-gd deck? Is it unwise to leave everything at the highest resolution and bitrate?

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #966 of 3,093
Quote:
Thanks, it seems to work sometimes, but sometimes not. Pretty annoying. 

What settings should I be using from the Audio-gd deck? Is it unwise to leave everything at the highest resolution and bitrate?

For me I put it on 32 bit 192 khz when I'm watching movies or browsing online, and 32 bit 384 khz when I'm running kernal streaming on foobar (32bit 384 will make sound go crazy if I'm trying to use anything other than kernal streaming).

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #967 of 3,093
I'll be running the 11.32 with an HE-500 soon. I like it a lot with my current batch of headphones, but it almost seems too powerful for them at times, even at low gain. Any higher than halfway would blow out my eardrums.

I haven't gotten it to work with my Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 via OTG though, which bums me out a bit.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #968 of 3,093
Quote:
I'll be running the 11.32 with an HE-500 soon. I like it a lot with my current batch of headphones, but it almost seems too powerful for them at times, even at low gain. Any higher than halfway would blow out my eardrums.

I haven't gotten it to work with my Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 via OTG though, which bums me out a bit.

HE500 is plenty of load for the 11.32 to work with. I'd say it only gets to ear-damaging volumes when you set 11.32 to high gain + 3 o'clock+ pot vol.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #970 of 3,093
Quote:
it doesn't get ear damaging levels with my he500 even at everything max... only if i use players which have a audio gain plugin or whatever it is called...

Wow the HE500 really is just that hard to drive eh?  With my HD650, my normal listening levels is aroun 12 oclock and with the DT880 600 ohm its at around 2oclock, both on low-gain mode. 

Now that I think about it.  I tried an HE500 at the LA Head-Fi meet last month and it was easily powered by a Magni/Modi stack.  I use to own the M/M stack and the NFB-11.32 should be more powerful than the Magni so I'm very shocked that you said it's not powering the HE500s sufficiently.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #972 of 3,093
Quote:

Wow the HE500 really is just that hard to drive eh?  With my HD650, my normal listening levels is aroun 12 oclock and with the DT880 600 ohm its at around 2oclock, both on low-gain mode. 

Now that I think about it.  I tried an HE500 at the LA Head-Fi meet last month and it was easily powered by a Magni/Modi stack.  I use to own the M/M stack and the NFB-11.32 should be more powerful than the Magni so I'm very shocked that you said it's not powering the HE500s sufficiently.

he500 requires a lot of current compared to the voltage part of the power equation and that is given in spades by the 11.32. It is about 12db gain while the magni is 14db gain. I don't know how it actually works but as far as i have seen that loudness does not equal more power. 11.32 is about 3 times more powerful than the magni... my fiio e9 had max 1W power output but it could really really really drive the he500 super loud even at low gain.. so i can only conclude that loudness is more due to voltage than current thing... and here the more current is giving better seperation and dynamic range to the sound rather than loudness factor. So magni or e9 may drive it louder but that does not mean better as they could even drive the he6 pretty loud but that won't mean they are good with it... i can only conclude that loudness is voltage vs current thing but i don't really know...

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #973 of 3,093
Man, these HE-500 sound awesome on this. First hour in on these, and they are so damn clear. Plenty of power for them on high gain.

Only thing that disappoints me is the bass. Hopefully mod's jergpads can be made soon, because under 40hz sounds a little thin. I come from 2000+ watts to my dual 18" subwoofers on my home theater, so I'm a little biased bass wise. Those are flat to 10hz at 100db. I'd love to get the HE-500 somewhat flat to ~20hz.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #974 of 3,093
On Friday I got NFB 11.32 which I bought from bhazard as well as complete Schiit stack i bought from another member from Alaska to hear how they can compare to Woo Audio WA7 with upgraded Electro Harmonix tubes. It took a while to make Windows to recognize NFB 11.32 so that I can choose 32 bit depth and sampling rate higher than 48 kHz but thanks to bhazard I'm able to use foobar with WASAPI and KS but not ASIO but since ASIO is basicaly wrapper for KS I don't really worry about it but completely agree with those people who are saying that with KS out it sounds way better than WASAPI. Be aware that I use it as DAC only with USB input connected using Audioquest Carbon cable using firmware 9-3 and I hear no difference between 32/192 and 32/384 settings of VIA control panel and use WA7's amp to drive my HD700 with stock cable (for now). So when comparing NFB 11.32/WA7 to WA7 I can say that some recording sound great on both setups while some sound on WA7 better than on NFB 11.32 while both setups will clearly show you when you have poorly recorded/mastered recording, So right now my order of prefernce with setups is:
1. WA7 using foobar with ASIO out with 32bit depth and 6ms latency
2. Byfrost Uber as DAC and WA7 as amp using foobar with KS out with 24 bit depth
3. NFB 11.32 as DAC and WA7 as amp using foobar with KS out with 32 bit depth
I also will try all 3 DACs with Schit Lyr amp with 2 sets of tubes and post my findings here

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #975 of 3,093
Quote:
On Friday I got NFB 11.32 which I bought from bhazard as well as complete Schiit stack i bought from another member from Alaska to hear how they can compare to Woo Audio WA7 with upgraded Electro Harmonix tubes. It took a while to make Windows to recognize NFB 11.32 so that I can choose 32 bit depth and sampling rate higher than 48 kHz but thanks to bhazard I'm able to use foobar with WASAPI and KS but not ASIO but since ASIO is basicaly wrapper for KS I don't really worry about it but completely agree with those people who are saying that with KS out it sounds way better than WASAPI. Be aware that I use it as DAC only with USB input connected using Audioquest Carbon cable using firmware 9-3 and I hear no difference between 32/192 and 32/384 settings of VIA control panel and use WA7's amp to drive my HD700 with stock cable (for now). So when comparing NFB 11.32/WA7 to WA7 I can say that some recording sound great on both setups while some sound on WA7 better than on NFB 11.32 while both setups will clearly show you when you have poorly recorded/mastered recording, So right now my order of prefernce with setups is:
1. WA7 using foobar with ASIO out with 32bit depth and 6ms latency
2. Byfrost Uber as DAC and WA7 as amp using foobar with KS out with 24 bit depth
3. NFB 11.32 as DAC and WA7 as amp using foobar with KS out with 32 bit depth
I also will try all 3 DACs with Schit Lyr amp with 2 sets of tubes and post my findings here

Awesome. I always love hearing comparisons, and I bought a cheap Bravo Audio V3 to get started in tubes. Never had a tube amp before so I'm starting small. Good thing the WA7 sounds better, wasn't it $1000+?

I also have a Lepai 200W coming to power my HE-500, as the $20 Lepai does a very good job amping it. The HifimeDIY Android DAC is default for now until the Geek ships.

If the NFB could do Android, I probably would have kept it, but it can't.

It's also a huge pain to get VIA ASIO working every install for some reason, and I can't replicate how to do it 100% of the time. It sounds exactly the same as KS though, so its not a huge issue. ASIO4ALL works if you want to use ASIO, but I prefer KS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back