Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Aug 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #947 of 3,093
Quote:
Do you hear the pops with J-River too?

Yes.

In both Foobar and JRiver, one thing I notice is that crossfade partially masks the pops. I hate crossfade though.

Also, this is not a output-specific or even player-specific issue for me. Even windows sounds (e.g. the "click" when you open folders, "ping" when you adjust system volume slide bar, etc) have the "pop". Just seems to be an inherent issue whenever a sound starts to play through the 11.32.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #948 of 3,093
Quote:
Yes.

In both Foobar and JRiver, one thing I notice is that crossfade partially masks the pops. I hate crossfade though.

Also, this is not a output-specific or even player-specific issue for me. Even windows sounds (e.g. the "click" when you open folders, "ping" when you adjust system volume slide bar, etc) have the "pop". Just seems to be an inherent issue whenever a sound starts to play through the 11.32.

Confirmed. JRiver does it too here.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #950 of 3,093
You think USB 3.0 could be causing my issue with ASIO not working like it should, because re-installing the driver to make it work for a while before it stops working  is getting tiring, I mainly use it for recording, It wouldn't bothered me if Asio4all was working too. but even that doesn't work. The only USB 2.0 plugs I have are on the front panel of my case But placing the 15.32 on the top of the case. Because if asio is working correctly for you guys then it can't be the usb32 as I using the firmware 7 which fixes the issue. Even Kingwa doesn't have the issue and hes using firmware 7 and beyond.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #951 of 3,093
Quote:
You think USB 3.0 could be causing my issue with ASIO not working like it should, because re-installing the driver to make it work for a while before it stops working  is getting tiring, I mainly use it for recording, It wouldn't bothered me if Asio4all was working too. but even that doesn't work. The only USB 2.0 plugs I have are on the front panel of my case But placing the 15.32 on the top of the case. Because if asio is working correctly for you guys then it can't be the usb32 as I using the firmware 7 which fixes the issue. Even Kingwa doesn't have the issue and hes using firmware 7 and beyond.

I'll test right now for you. I have 3.0 ports on my front panel.

My NFB doesn't even show up as a playback device on my 3.0 ports. It only works on my 2.0 ports.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #952 of 3,093
So I've been doing a little investigation on the forums and on google regarding DACs making this "clicking" or "popping" sounds, and most people seemed to suggest that it's due to sample rate changes. This could be reasonable since the majority of my music are all in FLAC and each song has a different sample rate, and the only time I hear the clicking is if I switch between songs. Because I'm at work right now, I can't test this theory until later, but perhaps someone here can test it on an album with fixed sample rates? (constant 320 kps mp3s?).

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #953 of 3,093
Quote:
I'll test right now for you. I have 3.0 ports on my front panel.

My NFB doesn't even show up as a playback device on my 3.0 ports. It only works on my 2.0 ports.

It did the same when i tried to use a usb hub. But it works on my usb3.0 but not asio in its drivers. I got asio4all to work once again. but i dont know for how long.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #958 of 3,093
Quote:
Does anyone have experience between the NFB-11.32 and the Schitt Bifrost DAC both as DACs?

The NFB's DAC chip is superior. Not only that, it has a powerful amp too.

The closest comparable product from Schiit would be the USB Bifrost $449, and Asgard $249 combo.

So for $333, the NFB provides better sound and an amp, compared to $700.

There just isn't any other product out that can power an HE-500, has an ESS9018, and does 32bit 384k, under $350.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #959 of 3,093
My NFB-11.32 arrived earlier today. I opened the box, plugged everything in, put on a playlist, went out for 4 hours to let it 'warm up', I just plugged in my phones, I'm listening to Hotel California, and all I can say is... wow. Sounds pretty pretty pretty good. My first amp and dac after listening to sound card most of my life. What is immediately apparent is how much more resolution there is to everything. Things sound tighter, brighter, crunchier, more 'apparent' than ever before.

I look forward to posting an impression after a few days of listening.

BTW, should I be listening to 'KS: Audio-gd'? My wasapi is not working. I simply ran the SETUP file and copied the DLLs over to foobar. Anything else I should do?

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #960 of 3,093
The NFB's DAC chip is superior. Not only that, it has a powerful amp too.

The closest comparable product from Schiit would be the USB Bifrost $449, and Asgard $249 combo.

So for $333, the NFB provides better sound and an amp, compared to $700.

There just isn't any other product out that can power an HE-500, has an ESS9018, and does 32bit 384k, under $350.

It can only do 32bit /192khz :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back