Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jun 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #646 of 3,093
Who would've thought, that actually solved my problem!!!  I didn't realize that out of my 6 USB slots, only the 2 on the front face of my computer tower were 2.0 slots.  I was previously trying to install my 11.32 on each of the 4 usb slots on the back of the tower with no avail. 

Everything now works perfectly!  Thanks so much for your help.

Glad to be of assistance, it drove me nuts so it's nice to pass the info on.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #648 of 3,093
Does anyone here have experience with the Headamp pico USB DAC? Its a completely different form factor but its the same price as the NFB-11.32 and after demo'ing the pico I found it to be superior to my HRT MSII and I have been planning on buying it. Then I remembered that the NFB-11.32 is the same price and I'm a bit conflicted. Would you say the NFB-11.32 is a clear step up from the pico? How do they compare? If they are quite similar in performance I think I'll go with the pico since I want to support Justin in return for him letting me demo some equipment but if the NFB-11.32 is the obviously superior DAC then I'll probably go with it.

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #650 of 3,093
Quote:
Has anyone used the 11.32 with a pair of hd650s? Seriously thinking of picking up a pair and wondering about how well this dac/amp matches up with it.

The 11.32 mates well with 650. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #651 of 3,093
Anyone tried the 11.32 with the HiFiMAN HE-500? (Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread to find out...)

I'm curious about how well it pairs with those cans...

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #653 of 3,093
Quote:
while at it 11.32 better on he500 or hd650?
tongue.gif

Good question! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #654 of 3,093
In some case if the update have fail, can re-update again fixed the matter.
I have intentionally made the update fail but can fixed the fail while re-update.
See the below picture.
If the update have fail, the detail show as below.
For reupdate:
1, click file --> open image --> all files --> firmware 7 ( or other firmware X)
2, Select  update all . (this is important, without select this option, the update will still fail )
3, Click Start .

Make sure the USB port working and connect steady, if table PC, the rear USB port may better .
And make sure the USB port is working under USB2.0 not 1.1 .

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #655 of 3,093
Quote:
Filters: apparently not, as they do not use filters to their more expensive ES9018 dacs
By the way, the filters in their Wolfson dacs are practically indistinguishable to me

NFB-11 somewhat thinner and more detailed
NFB-15 somewhat warmer and more forgiving to bad recordings

I own the 15.1 and I agree about the filters being nearly indistinguishable.

With that said, my NFB 15.1 has channel imbalance - left side noticeably louder. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the amp section, since when I use it as a DAC out to other amps the imbalance is gone. So I'm thinking of either grabbing a new 15.32, 11.32, or a Schiit Stack (A2 / Bifrost). The Schiit stack appeals to me...but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Audio-GD gear. Anyone who's owned Schiit and Audio-GD gear, please comment!

I'm definitely intrigued by the 11.32, but I wanted to ask folks on this thread if they feel the 11.32 lacks bass quantity? How about bass extension - does it extend well, or does it seem to roll off? Would you folks say the 11.32 is an actual bright amp / DAC, or are other amps / DACs out there generally warmer than neutral?

I like the 15.1. Have no problems with it except the imbalance. But, if I was going to "upgrade", I would want greater separation, clarity, black space - but a smooth sound is important; I don't want added etch or unneeded brightness.

Any comments / suggestions about which of these routes to take is greatly appreciated.
1) NFB-15.32   (~$290 after shipping / TCXO)
2) NFB-11.32   (~$375 after shipping / TCXO)
3) Schiit Asgard 2 / Bifrost   (~$770 w/ Bifrost Uber & USB)

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #657 of 3,093
Quote:

With that said, my NFB 15.1 has channel imbalance - left side noticeably louder. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the amp section, since when I use it as a DAC out to other amps the imbalance is gone. So I'm thinking of either grabbing a new 15.32, 11.32, or a Schiit Stack (A2 / Bifrost). The Schiit stack appeals to me...but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Audio-GD gear. Anyone who's owned Schiit and Audio-GD gear, please comment!

I'm definitely intrigued by the 11.32, but I wanted to ask folks on this thread if they feel the 11.32 lacks bass quantity? How about bass extension - does it extend well, or does it seem to roll off? Would you folks say the 11.32 is an actual bright amp / DAC, or are other amps / DACs out there generally warmer than neutral?

I like the 15.1. Have no problems with it except the imbalance. But, if I was going to "upgrade", I would want greater separation, clarity, black space - but a smooth sound is important; I don't want added etch or unneeded brightness.

Any comments / suggestions about which of these routes to take is greatly appreciated.

Audio gd SA-31 is warmer than neutral
Route (3) is more than (1)+(2) together, you should compare with similarly priced gear

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #658 of 3,093
Quote:

about 11.32... bass is tight and does go low enough... but i guess it is too tight even for headphones that have boomy bass... it certainly lacks bass impact a lot... it actually made sony xb series sound anemic to me... bass is there but it lacks impact... atleast that is how i feel...

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #659 of 3,093
Quote:
about 11.32... bass is tight and does go low enough... but i guess it is too tight even for headphones that have boomy bass... it certainly lacks bass impact a lot... it actually made sony xb series sound anemic to me... bass is there but it lacks impact... atleast that is how i feel...

Gotcha. I might grab the 15.32 in that case, as my 15.1's bass impact is definitely adequate to me. My Denons are very impactful on the 15.1, whereas when I heard them on my friend's Magni / Modi setup, they seemed noticeably tighter, but less impactful. I think I like the warmer 15.1 over the Magni / Modi, so I would venture to say I'd prefer the 15.32 over the 11.32.

Quote:
Audio gd SA-31 is warmer than neutral
Route (3) is more than (1)+(2) together, you should compare with similarly priced gear

What does the SA-31 have to do with what I asked? And why shouldn't I compare ~$300 setup to a ~$700 setup? It can be valuable to have comparisons like these, as they help us glean whether the higher investment is a modest or significant step above the less expensive setup. If it's a significant step up, I'd consider the Schiit stack; if modest / small, then I'd consider the Audio-GD. That's why I asked.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #660 of 3,093
Quote:
Gotcha. I might grab the 15.32 in that case, as my 15.1's bass impact is definitely adequate to me. My Denons are very impactful on the 15.1, whereas when I heard them on my friend's Magni / Modi setup, they seemed noticeably tighter, but less impactful. I think I like the warmer 15.1 over the Magni / Modi, so I would venture to say I'd prefer the 15.32 over the 11.32.

What does the SA-31 have to do with what I asked? And why shouldn't I compare ~$300 setup to a ~$700 setup? It can be valuable to have comparisons like these, as they help us glean whether the higher investment is a modest or significant step above the less expensive setup. If it's a significant step up, I'd consider the Schiit stack; if modest / small, then I'd consider the Audio-GD. That's why I asked.

I mentioned the SA-31 in the context of your question "...are other amps / DACs out there generally warmer than neutral?" and as an option for someone preferring warmer gear. Looking more carefully to your question now, I think you are right.
On the 300$ vs 700$ setups, the price difference is big enough at this level to be virtually certain that the more expensive one will be a step above. Whether it will be modestly or significantly better is I am afraid very personal in this hobby. For what is worth, I had found the Audio gd NFB-10 much better than the Audio gd NFB-15 (NFB-12 at the time) - so I would thought that the NFB-10 should be a better alternative than your (1) or (2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back