Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Nov 19, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #2,836 of 3,093
@ capetownwatches

You are already using the best sounding (high) alternative. So in that aspect You are right.

/Jan

I am happy with the sound but as audiophiles we always want to know if there is maybe a better way!

My amp has 100 Kilo-Ohms input impedance.
Would there be any advantage to using "Variable" output and increasing the output to close to 5V rather than 2.5V "Fixed"?
Apart from increased volume, which I do not require since my WA3 has plenty of gain on tap.

Perhaps I must experiment with using "Variable" output and "Low" gain setting and compare.
This I shall do and report back - inquiring minds want to know!

Of course I am certain other forumers have done just this - perhaps they could share their experiences?

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,837 of 3,093
I am happy with the sound but as audiophiles we always want to know if there is maybe a better way!

My amp has 100 Kilo-Ohms input impedance.
Would there be any advantage to using "Variable" output and increasing the output to close to 5V rather than 2.5V "Fixed"?
Apart from increased volume, which I do not require since my WA3 has plenty of gain on tap.

Perhaps I must experiment with using "Variable" output and "Low" gain setting and compare.
This I shall do and report back - inquiring minds want to know!

Of course I am certain other forumers have done just this - perhaps they could share their experiences?
Increasing NFB-11 output to its maximum 5V (by means of variable output mode) means an increase of only 6dB. If the WA3 valved (or tubed, if you prefer) input driver is before the volume control, then increasing the input level may overdrive the valve a little bit. Overdriving a valve will cause some distortion, but valve distortion is, sometimes, pleasing. It may add some color and warmth, but it will alter the sound. Too much overdrive will cause compression and distortion like the ones we use to see (or hear) from guitar amps and pedals.

I did not find the input range specifications for the WA3 input, but some amps can support up to 10Vrms. If this is the case, you will not be able to overdrive the amp input.

Using a higher output from the NFB-11, will put its internal amp out of the "Class A" range. Audio-gd does not specify what is the level the amp will start operate in A/B class, just says in the manual "The NFB-11 built in high bias current amps , for most headphones at normal listen volume it is working at class A state". It is also possible that the NFB-11 have a higher distortion with the higher output, but, unlike valves, transistor distortion will never be pleasing at any level.

It is OK to experiment all possible combinations. Let your ear be the judge.

100 kohms input means the WA3 is an easy load for the source. It is quite OK for the NFB-11.

Cheers,

Elder

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,839 of 3,093
I feel the same exact way! I have spent cash on things that I instantly regret. This is money well spent!

I received mine today.
Have been trying it out for a couple of hours now, with a wide mix of music and recordings, and until now it exceeds all my expectations.
Fantastic sound quality, great features and very well built.
My AKG headphones are sounding a little bit bright in the mid-highs, so I'll try out the jumper setting for 'warmer sound' one of these days.

This Audio-GD 11.28 might very well turn out to be my best audio purchase in years.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,840 of 3,093
I will be getting delivery of Senn HD 6XX in few weeks hence I am in the market for a DAC/ AMP. I originally thought of buying ifi Nano iDSD BL due to its portability and availability in UK, but now I have changed my mind to buy either NFB 11.28 or NFB 11 R2R - looking for suggestions on which one to buy between these. Not sure if Audio-GD will release NFB 11.38 in coming weeks/ month (just a guess that they may release a basic model with Sabre ES9038 Pro)

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,841 of 3,093
I will be getting delivery of Senn HD 6XX in few weeks hence I am in the market for a DAC/ AMP. I originally thought of buying ifi Nano iDSD BL due to its portability and availability in UK, but now I have changed my mind to buy either NFB 11.28 or NFB 11 R2R - looking for suggestions on which one to buy between these. Not sure if Audio-GD will release NFB 11.38 in coming weeks/ month (just a guess that they may release a basic model with Sabre ES9038 Pro)

The NFB-11.28 is a fairly new revision, to the NFB-11 series, so I doubt Audio-GD will come out with a NFB-11.38 anytime in the near future or even in the next year (my two cents).

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,842 of 3,093
The NFB-11.28 is a fairly new revision, to the NFB-11 series, so I doubt Audio-GD will come out with a NFB-11.38 anytime in the near future or even in the next year (my two cents).

Thanks for the info, any recommendation between NFB 11.28 vs R2R ? also, has anyone paired NFB with Oneplus phones using USB?

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,843 of 3,093
Thanks for the info, any recommendation between NFB 11.28 vs R2R ? also, has anyone paired NFB with Oneplus phones using USB?
I've posted my thoughts in the past here. They both are wonderful, and cater to different sonic preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back