Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Nov 1, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #2,267 of 3,093
  What are the real changes (sound wise) between the 11 (2014) and the 11.32?

There are no differences in terms of sound quality. The NFB-11 (2014) introduced the following changes:

1) New chassis with vents on top
2) Transformer upgrade from 20w to 35w
3) Mute switch on the back that disables the mute relay feature, which was causing a lot of popping and other annoyances in between tracks.

There may be some other minor differences I'm not aware of, but those are the main ones at least. That third one is probably the most important. I believe some of the later 11.32 models actually came with the 35w transformer upgrade.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,271 of 3,093
I have an older NFB-12 that I've been using for the last couple years with my DT-990's and I've been pretty happy with it (here's the link to the classified listing from when I bought it here).  I got in on the massdrop HD6XX drop, and will probably be looking to upgrade my DAC/AMP when I get them.  Would the latest nfb-11 be a noticeable upgrade over my old NFB-12, or should I look elsewhere (How does NFB-11 compare to Schiit Jotunheim)?

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #2,272 of 3,093
  I have an older NFB-12 that I've been using for the last couple years with my DT-990's and I've been pretty happy with it (here's the link to the classified listing from when I bought it here).  I got in on the massdrop HD6XX drop, and will probably be looking to upgrade my DAC/AMP when I get them.  Would the latest nfb-11 be a noticeable upgrade over my old NFB-12, or should I look elsewhere (How does NFB-11 compare to Schiit Jotunheim)?

Guess the NFB-12, with it's dual WM8741 DAC chips, might be considered a little more musical and the NFB-11 with it's Sabre DAC chip, a little more detailed.
Your older NFB has a well used 20 W transformer, while a new NFB-11 would come with a brand new 35W transformer.

A Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier ($213-$250) could be daisy chained off your NFB-12.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,278 of 3,093
I'm looking to pair this with a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s. I'm looking for an amp and dac that don't color the sound as apparently these cans are the definition of colored, but instead offer detail. Would this be the best choice for detail? I keep hearing about the M-Stage for the Ultrasones specifically, would that be a better pair?

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,279 of 3,093
  I'm looking to pair this with a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s. I'm looking for an amp and dac that don't color the sound as apparently these cans are the definition of colored, but instead offer detail. Would this be the best choice for detail? I keep hearing about the M-Stage for the Ultrasones specifically, would that be a better pair?

Do you find the treble alright? I'd go for a warm, smooth source, maybe something akin to the Schiit Vali, or one of the cheaper tube amps out there? Or maybe the Jotunheim.
They were my "first" audiophile grade headphones and I could not listen to them from a neutral, slightly bright source today, which the Audio-gd amps usually are.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,280 of 3,093
I've got a fiio x7 and it already has a saber chip, but looking for a desktop amp. Would this be redundant?

As has been pointed out many times on the forum, the implementation of the DAC chip is more important to SQ than the DAC chip itself. In other words, not really that helpful to compare DACs by DAC chipsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back