Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
May 6, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #2,192 of 3,093
knowing that you enjoy the 650 with the nfb11, you should at least try some analytical HPs before jumping to the hd800.....you might not like them....and at over 1k it's really a risky bet to rely only on written impressions from the internet (which are for sure very subjective and almost certain with some things blown out of proportion.... due to a reason or another).

or just make sure the seller has a return policy that would favour you. 

also if you are willing to pay very high premiums for one-digit% better sound check other expensive HPs as well

May 8, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,193 of 3,093
or just make sure the seller has a return policy that would favour you. 

Yup. Ordered a pair of HD800s and the store has 14 day return policy for all headphones except IEMs. (for obvious reasons)

I'll try them out and if I don't like them I'll send them back. I'll write some impressions once I have them.

May 13, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #2,195 of 3,093
Got my HD800.

And they sound great imo. The bass is tight and the highs are crisp. And people who generally drive these with O2s and Modi/Magni combos seem to complain about the lack of bass and it's definitely not the case here. It's very much present and it's exquisite. And they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. I'm definitely keeping these.

On another note regarding the NFB-11. Any of you noticed channel imbalance? This might just be in my head or something wrong with my hearing but at times it feels like the right channel has a bit more volume compared to the left one and I've tried it now with both my HD 800s and HE-400 and I have this on both of them. But then again it might just be how certain songs are mixed.

For example here:

Especially the flute/pipe seems to be more pronounced on the right channel. Thoughts?

May 13, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #2,196 of 3,093
first you need to have an ear exam because it's sounds like your ear it's clogged

you can also test yourself with a mechanical watch   

May 13, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #2,197 of 3,093
  first you need to have an ear exam because it's sounds like your ear it's clogged

you can also test yourself with a mechanical watch   

Yeah, but for example when I listen to the song above with the headphones the wrong way around I hear more emphasis on the left channel. Do you notice the same?

May 13, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,198 of 3,093
oh well then,

no, I haven't got anything of the sort on mine....the nfb11 holds up strong even against hard competition
it just shows how exaggerated are some opinions in this field 

power anomalies might also cause your issue (try to plug in diff sockets or on diff circuits or on an online ups)
also you should try to see if you can isolate the thing and if it happens at the same time in one specific song
then try to see if directly from the 3.5 jack out of the mainboard you have the same issue

you'll have many combinations to test before you can spot the culprit, but if it's random then it will be quite hard

May 13, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #2,199 of 3,093
  oh well then,

no, I haven't got anything of the sort on mine....the nfb11 holds up strong even against hard competition
it just shows how exaggerated are some opinions in this field 

power anomalies might also cause your issue (try to plug in diff sockets or on diff circuits or on an online ups)
also you should try to see if you can isolate the thing and if it happens at the same time in one specific song
then try to see if directly from the 3.5 jack out of the mainboard you have the same issue

you'll have many combinations to test before you can spot the culprit, but if it's random then it will be quite hard

Actually I just tested this using my phone as the dac and an O2 amp and it's the same way.

Yeah this is probably all in my head. Trying to find faults where there is none..

May 13, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #2,200 of 3,093
there still might be a power issue with the source (pc psu, motherboard, etc. )
is it random or in the same place every time ?

May 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2,201 of 3,093
  there still might be a power issue with the source (pc psu, motherboard, etc. )
is it random or in the same place every time ?

Well either it's just how certain songs are mixed or something wrong with my hearing or some psychological bs because I just tried it with my phone alone (to eliminate possible issues with MB and PSU or issues with sockets) and apart from reduction in SQ the volume levels sound identical to the NFB-11.

May 13, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,202 of 3,093
well it seems that you've narrowed it down to source ( music file )

May 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,203 of 3,093
Yeah, but for example when I listen to the song above with the headphones the wrong way around I hear more emphasis on the left channel. Do you notice the same?

You were right in your initial speculation. You can not test channel imbalance with music because music is mastered not to have the same sound coming out of each side.

May 13, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,204 of 3,093
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php You can do driver matching test. Another way to test imbalance is to downmix channels to mono, but I found this isn't so easy. Make sure you got all the settings correct on Windows, software etc. Try plugging in something else to see if it's the NFB-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back