Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jan 22, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,622 of 3,093
Just ordered my NFB-11
2x TCXO

Came to $525CAD with our now ****ty exchange rate

This will be my first DAC or AMP, hoping this will be my endgame unit along with my also hopefully endgame HD-650s

Upgrading from HD-555s and M50s

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,623 of 3,093
Another contact and Kingwa has said that a new firmware is coming out soon to fix the problem.

Hmm, so one day the solution they have is to cut a wire inside, and the next it's to wait for a firmware update? That makes me a little nervous buying, especially when you add in all the comments in Audio-GD threads about driver difficulty.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #1,624 of 3,093
  Just ordered my NFB-11
2x TCXO

Came to $525CAD with our now ****ty exchange rate

This will be my first DAC or AMP, hoping this will be my endgame unit along with my also hopefully endgame HD-650s

Upgrading from HD-555s and M50s

Oh wow, I just notice the exchange rate for canadian dollar changed substantially. That is some crazy change.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,625 of 3,093
Hmm, so one day the solution they have is to cut a wire inside, and the next it's to wait for a firmware update? That makes me a little nervous buying, especially when you add in all the comments in Audio-GD threads about driver difficulty.

The product itself is great...the problem is only related to WASAPI. I will try ASIO when HD600 gets here...

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,626 of 3,093
The product itself is great...the problem is only related to WASAPI. I will try ASIO when HD600 gets here...

Ah, ok. I'm really not familiar with WASAPI and ASIO. I use iTunes and Spotify, not Foobar or JRiver, since I'm not into high-res audio files. So I'm guessing neither of those drivers would apply to me?

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,627 of 3,093
Ah, ok. I'm really not familiar with WASAPI and ASIO. I use iTunes and Spotify, not Foobar or JRiver, since I'm not into high-res audio files. So I'm guessing neither of those drivers would apply to me?

Installing driver is very easy and it works well. Also, if you use iTunes and Spotify, there are going to be no problems. Same with other softwares that use directsound.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,630 of 3,093
Installing driver is very easy and it works well. Also, if you use iTunes and Spotify, there are going to be no problems. Same with other softwares that use directsound.

I could also try using optical first, since I'm on an iMac running BootCamp. No drivers needed. Should be no audio gap.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,632 of 3,093
Actually, my Audio-gd related problems were always due to the ASIO drivers, I believe, which then crippled WASAPI as well... Or rather the crappy VIA drivers, which are the native ASIO drivers...
I hope I was just unlucky, as these issues don't seem too common to begin with.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,633 of 3,093
The drivers were easy to install. I haven't tried WASAPI, but Direct Sound seems to work ok. The only issue for me really is how it takes a second to start outputting sound after initiating playback, and sometimes when switching tracks or albums or whatever. I definitely have the issue even with playback in apps like VLC, which Willowbrook says he doesn't. Seems like everyone has a slightly different experience.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,634 of 3,093
  The drivers were easy to install. I haven't tried WASAPI, but Direct Sound seems to work ok. The only issue for me really is how it takes a second to start outputting sound after initiating playback, and sometimes when switching tracks or albums or whatever. I definitely have the issue even with playback in apps like VLC, which Willowbrook says he doesn't. Seems like everyone has a slightly different experience.

Hmm..I just tried pausing and playing movies in VLC. I use Foobar2k for music playback.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,635 of 3,093
  I haven't heard the NFB-11 but I wasn't crazy about the HD650 out of the NFB-15.  Until I plugged it into my Project Ember, that is...

What was it about the NFB-15 combo you didn't like? What did you like more about the Project Ember? I'm on the fence between the NFB-11 and NFB-15, and I'm not sure which would be better for my HD650 and soon-to-arrive TH600. Open to other options like a Project Ember and Modi or something in a similar price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back