Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Apr 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,201 of 3,093
Hi! I'm interested in purchasing one of this amp/dac unit, when they'll put it back on sale, but i don't know whether to purchase it with tcxo upgrades or not?

My questions are:
-The tcxo upgrades are necessary?
-Does it change sound? Or by adding more to the circuit the sound becomes less transparent?
-If it's required a 80 mhz for the dac chip why does it needs a 12 mhz for usb ( when u plug it from usb), from coax/optic the 80 mhz makes sense, can i purchase just the 80mhz and achive the same thing?

I'll pair this amp/dac with sennheiser hd600 (i hope it'll be a good match).

I'm not a tech guru, so sorry for so many questions.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,202 of 3,093
  Hi! I'm interested in purchasing one of this amp/dac unit, when they'll put it back on sale, but i don't know whether to purchase it with tcxo upgrades or not?

My questions are:
-Does it change sound? Or by adding more to the circuit the sound becomes less transparent?
-If it's required a 80 mhz for the dac chip why does it needs a 12 mhz for usb ( when u plug it from usb), from coax/optic the 80 mhz makes sense, can i purchase just the 80mhz and achive the same thing?

Nobody has 2 DACs of the same model to compare, so it's impossible to say if the upgrade makes a difference.
Probably not (although I got it).

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,204 of 3,093
I had a similar upgrade from NFB-12 to NFB-10 (different dac chip but otherwise almost identical to NFB-11 and NFB-28) some years back, which for me fully justified the money - more so on the amp part.
Of course my experience does not mean that you will find the money justified.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,206 of 3,093

My questions are:

I upgraded and did notice a change (on the Compass 2 - same thing really).  Small improvements across the board. Is it worth it over the great sound?? Well that's debateable, but remember if you come to sell it, then having the TCXO upgrade may help it's resale value.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,207 of 3,093
Thanks for your responses. I guess i'll just take the 80mhz one but could easily change my mind and take both. Does anyone know why they take so long to replenish their stocks? Now it says that it will be in middle of may. I'm just hoping they aren't experiencing trouble manufacturing them.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,208 of 3,093
  Thanks for your responses. I guess i'll just take the 80mhz one but could easily change my mind and take both. Does anyone know why they take so long to replenish their stocks? Now it says that it will be in middle of may. I'm just hoping they aren't experiencing trouble manufacturing them.

Aloha,

Was waiting as well and emailed Kingwa earlier in the month and he said there were some setbacks, but you can expect them to be out by mid May.  Also, theres was one on the BST forum for $300 with both upgrades.  I was waiting forever as well and found one on ebay, theres a second one on there now, but the one on the sale forum looks like a good deal.  Best of luck finding one, cant wait for mine to come in today!

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,209 of 3,093
  Also, there's was one on the BST forum for $300 with both upgrades.  I was waiting forever as well and found one on ebay, theres a second one on there now, but the one on the sale forum looks like a good deal.

Yep.. that's mine.. it's served me very well.

Congrats on your incoming 11.32.  I know A-GD says they burn their units in for 100 hours before shipping, but IME, a solid 75 to 100 additional hours of use revealed a distinguishable improvement in performance.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,210 of 3,093

Yep.. that's mine.. it's served me very well.

Congrats on your incoming 11.32.  I know A-GD says they burn their units in for 100 hours before shipping, but IME, a solid 75 to 100 additional hours of use revealed a distinguishable improvement in performance.

Iʻm really looking forward to it, and listening for the mailman.   I just wish I saw your post before buying mine.  I was literally looking everyday on the forums and ebay and once i bought mine 2 or 3 others came up.  Im sure yours will sell quickly, awesome price and always good to help out fellow members.

Nice to know that it gets better over time, I have a magni/modi and it seemed like they opened up a little from lots of use.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,211 of 3,093
I just got my unit in and it's in awesome condition, however it's not connecting with my computer. So far I've connected it to my MacBook Pro via an audioquest forest usb cable, and under the sound preferences I've selected the Audio-gd as the output. There's no audio coming out on my speakers or headphones (when switching between the headphones, variable and fixed settings. However, when I turn the unit off and on again with music playing it'll play through my headphones or speakers depending on the output setting for a seconds and cut out. I read that no drivers are required for macs so as far as I know it should work correct? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Mahalo!

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,212 of 3,093
I just got my unit in and it's in awesome condition, however it's not connecting with my computer. So far I've connected it to my MacBook Pro via an audioquest forest usb cable, and under the sound preferences I've selected the Audio-gd as the output. There's no audio coming out on my speakers or headphones (when switching between the headphones, variable and fixed settings. However, when I turn the unit off and on again with music playing it'll play through my headphones or speakers depending on the output setting for a seconds and cut out. I read that no drivers are required for macs so as far as I know it should work correct? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Mahalo!

Do you have a USB hub lying around? Try connecting the audio-yd to the hub and the hub to the Mac. Some DACs have issues with USB3 ports. This could be a reason. With a hub, it will work.

Other than that you can check as well your "Audio Midi" setup when the audi-gd is connected (just use spotlight to find the settings).

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #1,213 of 3,093

Do you have a USB hub lying around? Try connecting the audio-yd to the hub and the hub to the Mac. Some DACs have issues with USB3 ports. This could be a reason. With a hub, it will work.

Other than that you can check as well your "Audio Midi" setup when the audi-gd is connected (just use spotlight to find the settings).

Worked like a charm, thank you very much!  Would never have thought of that, my magni/modi had no issues with the USB3.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,214 of 3,093
  Worked like a charm, thank you very much!  Would never have thought of that, my magni/modi had no issues with the USB3.

Phew, glad it worked. I think I have grown a few grey hairs before I figured it out some time ago with my NuForce icon HDP :)

Am very curious about your impressions with the NFB-11.32 am eyeing this amp for quite some time now...

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,215 of 3,093

Phew, glad it worked. I think I have grown a few grey hairs before I figured it out some time ago with my NuForce icon HDP :)

Am very curious about your impressions with the NFB-11.32 am eyeing this amp for quite some time now...

Yea you definitely save me a couple at least, was starting to get worried!  

Iʻm still relatively new to this hobby/addiction (around a year), but coming from the Magni/Modi I notice an improvement, certain instruments, especially bass and the snares/drums seem more pronounced in my opinion, but take it for what its worth, I still probably need a week or so to get acquainted with it.  But so far I really love it, build quality is top notch, sound is awesome and everyone on the forum that has one seems to have very positive things to say about it.  

Also, not sure if your on the edge of buying one or not, but Kingwa (owner of audio-gd) has quite a backorder on these units but theres currently one on the buy/sell/trade forum for an awesome price from Flysweep, both usb and sabre9081 chip upgrade for $300 (links here if you wanna check it out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back