Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Apr 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #542 of 3,093
Hey guys,

When using the NFB 11.32, I realise that when I'm using foobar, I can't get audio from other sources, e.g. youtube, at the same time.

Most times, if I close foobar, then youtube (or other programs, e.g. skype) start producing audio again.

However, sometimes, even when foobar is closed already, the audio does not return for these other programs.

Anyone know a fix?

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #543 of 3,093
Quote:
Hey guys,

When using the NFB 11.32, I realise that when I'm using foobar, I can't get audio from other sources, e.g. youtube, at the same time.

Most times, if I close foobar, then youtube (or other programs, e.g. skype) start producing audio again.

However, sometimes, even when foobar is closed already, the audio does not return for these other programs.

Anyone know a fix?

Thanks.

well if you close foobar then you would have to restart the other programs so that the sound would work with them... anyways, that does not happen with me... i can use multiple application that need sound at the same time...

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #544 of 3,093
Quote:
well if you close foobar then you would have to restart the other programs so that the sound would work with them... anyways, that does not happen with me... i can use multiple application that need sound at the same time...

Hey,

thanks for the reply.

I've tried running foobar and youtube together, but if youtube's audio won't get through.

if someone could figure out why I can't run stuff simultaneously it would help. (if it helps I'm using the via direct ks asio in foobar)

also, even if i restart my browser (chrome), youtube does not work (although it did before, once or twice)

thanks.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #545 of 3,093
Quote:
Hey guys,

Anyone know a fix?

Thanks.

If the audio can be used by multiple applications at the same time then you are not using exclusive mode. This means your audio is going through the windows sounds mixer and potentially being up \ downsampled if it's different to what is setup there....

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #547 of 3,093
Quote:
If the audio can be used by multiple applications at the same time then you are not using exclusive mode. This means your audio is going through the windows sounds mixer and potentially being up \ downsampled if it's different to what is setup there....

Hey apgood,

Yeah that's what I thought (since we had to follow all those instructions for foobar); but I never thought that even after shutting down foobar I wouldn't get audio from other sources like youtube.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #548 of 3,093
Quote:

Hey apgood,

Yeah that's what I thought (since we had to follow all those instructions for foobar); but I never thought that even after shutting down foobar I wouldn't get audio from other sources like youtube.

Yeah, don't know for sure put I assume it's because apps like YouTube do a check when they start and "find" there is "no audio device" because it's locked for exclusive use by foobar and don't check again and \ or windows doesn't let apps know when a sound device is released from exclusive use.... or something to that effect.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #549 of 3,093
Quote:
Yeah, don't know for sure put I assume it's because apps like YouTube do a check when they start and "find" there is "no audio device" because it's locked for exclusive use by foobar and don't check again and \ or windows doesn't let apps know when a sound device is released from exclusive use.... or something to that effect.

Hey apgood,

hmm... that's an interesting thought.

yeah. what can I say... most of my PCs get killed by software/windows way before hardware even starts to age; and I generally keep them clean too.

Thanks for the insight though.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #550 of 3,093
Don't use WASAPI/ASIO on foobar. Both mute any other sounds. If you want audio on youtube+foobar+whatever, your output has to be set to directsound.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #551 of 3,093
Quote:
Don't use WASAPI/ASIO on foobar. Both mute any other sounds. If you want audio on youtube+foobar+whatever, your output has to be set to directsound.

Trae, if I am not mistaken, this is the whole point of WASAPI/ASIO.  Both are designed to bypass the kernal mixer in windows, thus eliminating system sounds.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #552 of 3,093
That, and WASAPI/ASIO doesn't "compress" the sound. DS, in my experience sounds like the stream is being normalized or dynamically compressed, and WASAPI/ASIO don't have those problems. Like you said, they're exclusive, they prioritize the audio streams that are being played first over others, which results in the other playing streams being muted, and they allow for a bitperfect output. Since DS isn't truly designed to be an exclusive API, it allows multiple streams to be played simultaneously.

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #553 of 3,093
Love 'em and enjoy all the renderers.  They all sound delicious.  Last couple weeks I have been trying Ubuntu (12.10) on all my PCs (dual boot with W7 & Vista) and have to say when it comes to audio it kicks @ss.  The 11.32 sings with no set up worries at all.  Once the drivers are installed on the PC, it's all good.  I also have been playing with my NFB-15.1 & NFB-16 with the TE8802 (not for the easily rattled due to patience being a virtue to make it work) and as of now no probs whatsoever with Ubuntu.  Setup was a breeze choosing the output and music has been playing with no dropouts, no hiccups at all.  ATM, listening to the NFB-16 with W8 and kickin' @ss indeed waiting for my 11.32 and tube amp to warm up for more love.

All OS's and renderers I have tried and all kickass since I received my 11.32 back in September- XP (x86), Vista (x86 & x64), W7 (x64) and W8 (x64).  Foobar (WASAPI (reg), VIAASIO, KS, ASIO4ALL, DS, ASIO (Before VIA), WASAPI (Push & Event).  I have also used MediaMonkey, iTunes, MusicBee, uLilith....

Try various players and enjoy all the output love this wonderful black box has to offer...  Don't settle for any one player or output.  Have fun!!!

My just received little Sony VAIO (11.6") with W8 has been spanking all my A-GD gear for a couple days with all different players and outputs.

Cheers!!!

May 1, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #554 of 3,093
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

Does this mean that if I use VIA DirectKS ASIO I get 'better' sound from foobar but if I want convenience directsound would be more suited?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back