Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,641 of 3,093
I am having to buy an IEC to UK plug lead as mine came from Europe. Does anyone know what IEC lead I need or what amp the fuse needs to be please ?

I got the answer. A 5amp iec to UK plug.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,642 of 3,093
My 11.28 arrived today after returning my 11.32 due to USB connectivity issues. I installed the drivers, plugged it in and Voila! It's working perfectly with none of the issues I had with my old unit, It works through USB 3.0 ports too.

As for sound, I found the 11.32 quite airy and a bit dry. The 11.28 sounds much smoother and more musical than the 11.32, it's a touch brighter to my ears too. Overall I think it's a worthwhile improvement over the 11.32 and users can feel much more confident with new USB interface, being much more reputable than the previous module.

My 11.32 has only just been sent back so I'm still waiting to hear if it was defective or just had a compatibility issue. Hopefully it's the former so I can get a full refund.

Thanks Audio-GD for an amazing product!

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #2,643 of 3,093
I am still loving the sound quality of this 11.28.
The only minor reservation remaining at the moment is that for some recordings it sounds slightly bright (but certainly not in a harsh or aggressive way) on my AKG's.

KingWa advised me to first let the unit play for a couple of weeks before trying to change any jumper settings to see if that might improve on this.
I am going to give it even some more time before i will explore that, but I am curious if somebody has been doing some experimenting with jumper settings already.

Besides the jumper settings for digital filters, I am curious about the jumper for "warmer sound flavor".
I have asked kingWa, but he hasn't made it clear if this is doing something in the digital or the analogue domain, and what it does exactly.

So if anybody tried this out and has some more information on it, I am interested...

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #2,645 of 3,093
Hi trilobites,

The TCXO gives a bit more airy presentation. You should go for the TCXO (20 USD). It is worth it. It's just one xo to upgrade in the 11.28. The Amanero board has its own xo's on.

/Jan

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,646 of 3,093
I was wondering if someone could clear two things up for me before I order the NFB-11:

1) Thanks to JaMo, I understand the TCXO upgrade, but what about the Degrade the Amanero by Xmos U208 option? I don't understand this one, what does it do and is it worth it?

2) Can someone give me an example or step by step on how to order from them properly? This is something I do not want to mess up lol

Thanks in advance guys/gals!

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,647 of 3,093
Hi Heals!

1. I shouldn't ever degrade to Xmos U208. But it is me. Some people may have the Xmos-based USB board as preference. Not me. I think the Amanero Combo384- USB module is the best sounding USB-module You can get for this money. In fact the NFB-11.28 is loaded with top components.

2. Just write an email to Audio-gd that says "order of one NFB-11.28 with TCXO upgrade. You will get a response with an invoice with a question of what power level (110/230V) and what cable type You need. They also will give You a chance to pay in two steps. The delivery cost and the fee paypal adds.

It is very undramatic.

/Jan

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #2,648 of 3,093
Hi Heals!

1. I shouldn't ever degrade to Xmos U208. But it is me. Some people may have the Xmos-based USB board as preference. Not me. I think the Amanero Combo384- USB module is the best sounding USB-module You can get for this money. In fact the NFB-11.28 is loaded with top components.

2. Just write an email to Audio-gd that says "order of one NFB-11.28 with TCXO upgrade. You will get a response with an invoice with a question of what power level (110/230V) and what cable type You need. They also will give You a chance to pay in two steps. The delivery cost and the fee paypal adds.

It is very undramatic.

/Jan

Hi Jan!

I appreciate the response, that helped quite a bit. All the research I have found makes the process sound complicated. lol

I'm assuming then that Amanero is superior to Xmos and when it says "degrade" that is exactly what it means. lol Good to know.

I'm curious, have you or anyone else tried using a smartphone or DAP through USB on the NFB-11? I only ask because most of my music is on my phone.

Thanks again for all your help!

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2,649 of 3,093
I'm placing an order for the NFB 11.28 and was wondering if the complete list of custom options includes downgrading the Amanero interface and the upgrade to the ES9028 as shown here: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN_Custom.htm

Just curious since it seems like there are more options listed in the Summary page, unless those are the incremental upgrades to the newest version and not custom options.

Sorry if this has been covered previously, since I've only looked at the last few pages.

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2,650 of 3,093
I'm placing an order for the NFB 11.28 and was wondering if the complete list of custom options includes downgrading the Amanero interface and the upgrade to the ES9028 as shown here: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN_Custom.htm

Just curious since it seems like there are more options listed in the Summary page, unless those are the incremental upgrades to the newest version and not custom options.

Sorry if this has been covered previously, since I've only looked at the last few pages.

The unit NFB 11.28 comes with Sabre ES9028 and Amanero USB Interface(should fix the driver issues from before). The only thing you should consider if you want TCXO upgrade instead of ES9028. Some say it doesn't make much difference if any. So when you order just say you want the NFB 11.28 and the correct power cable and specify voltage (120v/230v) and you should be good.

Edit: Here you specify the power cable you need http://www.audio-gd.com/Cable Type.jpg Just write the power cable number when you order.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #2,651 of 3,093
The unit NFB 11.28 comes with Sabre ES9028 and Amanero USB Interface(should fix the driver issues from before). The only thing you should consider if you want TXCO upgrade instead of ES9028. Some say it doesn't make much difference if any. So when you order just say you want the NFB 11.28 and the correct power cable and specify voltage (120v/230v) and you should be good.

Edit: Here you specify the power cable you need http://www.audio-gd.com/Cable Type.jpg Just write the power cable number when you order.

Thanks for clearing that up. Just placed my order, really looking forward to listening to this unit! :)

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,652 of 3,093
Anybody here having issues with NFB11.32 (manufactured around end of 2013) on Windows 10 after Creator's update? My NFB11.32 seems to lose connection ever so often while playing back on Spotify or YouTube. There's no longer new drivers update for NFB11.32 at Audio GD's website and the only solution is to go to "Playback Devices" and select the internal soundcard on my PC as default device and then reselect "SPDIF Interface audio-gd" again as default device to make it work again after a short "click sound". I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue and I wonder if anyone here have a permanent fix for this because this is getting very annoying. I really love the sound of my NFB11.32 but this issue is really driving me up the wall.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #2,653 of 3,093
Hi,

I have to correct this said by Crayo: "The only thing you should consider if you want TXCO upgrade instead of ES9028". This is not true. =>

The ES9028 Pro-chip is there all the time. TCXO means temperature compensated crystal oscillator. This TCXO has a more stable pulse delivery than regular XO's. The stability of this puls is very important in digital circuits in general and absolutetly one of the most critical areas in soundequipment. You can read in almost every dac-thread in this forum and anywhere else about this importance. Usually a TCXO of high quality can lift Your gear $$ soundvise. If You search the I-net You will find a full market of different XO's....from simple and cheap ones to very exclusive ones for high $$$.

/Jan

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,654 of 3,093
Hi,

I have to correct this said by Crayo: "The only thing you should consider if you want TCXO upgrade instead of ES9028". This is not true. =>

The ES9028 Pro-chip is there all the time. TCXO means temperature compensated crystal oscillator. This TCXO has a more stable pulse delivery than regular XO's. The stability of this puls is very important in digital circuits in general and absolutetly one of the most critical areas in soundequipment. You can read in almost every dac-thread in this forum and anywhere else about this importance. Usually a TCXO of high quality can lift Your gear $$ soundvise. If You search the I-net You will find a full market of different XO's....from simple and cheap ones to very exclusive ones for high $$$.

/Jan

Sorry my bad about that one. I corrected my post. Does TCXO make a really big difference in the NFB-11.28 unit soundwise? Or is it just preference?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,655 of 3,093
Sorry my bad about that one. I corrected my post. Does TCXO make a really big difference in the NFB-11.28 unit soundwise? Or is it just preference?

I doubt most if not all can distinguish any audible differences, but since it's only $20, might as well get it for the peace of mind if not for placebo :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back