Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Apr 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #2,041 of 3,093
  hey guys im thinking of ordering the nfb-11, are there currently any issues to be aware off? i saw some old posts where it said it would start making clicking noises when you change songs or pause a youtube video and stuff....also i currently have the o2odac and i like how it is transparent but i saw some people say nfb-11 is bright...would you say its still bright or transparent? 

The clicking noise is on DSD mode only (SACDs) and it has a switch on back to avoid that (muted delay). Mine also clicks when changing gain setting, but other than that there are no pops or stuff like that.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #2,042 of 3,093
  hey guys im thinking of ordering the nfb-11, are there currently any issues to be aware off? i saw some old posts where it said it would start making clicking noises when you change songs or pause a youtube video and stuff....also i currently have the o2odac and i like how it is transparent but i saw some people say nfb-11 is bright...would you say its still bright or transparent? 

That's only if you use the USB input, due to driver issue. I only use optical so no clicking noise or pause.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,043 of 3,093
right on thanks guys, ya thats what i like about the nfb-11, how it has usb AND optical option, AND a switch for headphones AND preamp capabilities for rear speakers all in 1 unit....its like the perfect dac/amp!! im surprised its not as talked about as the schiit stack or o2odac, seems miles ahead imo. 

i personally also do not like how buggy usb can be, so i like the idea of getting a cheap sound card just for an optical output then using it into my nfb-11 and have my sound carried by the light of the gods!! 

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,044 of 3,093
Yep, the new ones have a switch. Should be perfect, but mind that NFB-11 is very close to neutral and may not pair well with neutral/bright/analytical headphones especially in the upper price range. It should do pretty well with headphones like HE-400i, HE-500. I tried HD600&650, pretty good pairing. Headphones like DT-880, HE-560 that I've tried is sometimes harsh to listen to. For those I recommend a warmer amp section or whole new pairing.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,045 of 3,093
is there a way to make the NFB11 play multiple sound sources from the pc and hearing them simultaneously ? I mean like running a game while in the background foobar plays music.....

have I misunderstood that DACs cannot cope with such scenarios ?

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #2,046 of 3,093
  is there a way to make the NFB11 play multiple sound sources from the pc and hearing them simultaneously ? I mean like running a game while in the background foobar plays music.....

If you set foobar to directsound (not exclusive ASIO or WASAPI) you can play multiple sources.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,047 of 3,093
thanks for the fast reply !
and is this valid for all inputs methods ?

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,049 of 3,093
  Yep, the new ones have a switch. Should be perfect, but mind that NFB-11 is very close to neutral and may not pair well with neutral/bright/analytical headphones especially in the upper price range. It should do pretty well with headphones like HE-400i, HE-500. I tried HD600&650, pretty good pairing. Headphones like DT-880, HE-560 that I've tried is sometimes harsh to listen to. For those I recommend a warmer amp section or whole new pairing.

How about the HD800? I'm planning to get one...

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,050 of 3,093
ok, thanks again.

since the NFB 11 hasn't got a display is there a way to check the actual sampling rate of the playback ?
(sorry if questions are noob-ish)

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,051 of 3,093

The NFB-11 itself can only take in one digital audio signal at a time (USB or optical or coaxial).
Something (software?) would have to premix the audio (game + music), before it gets sent to the NFB-11.

It might be easier to game with open headphones and play music audio from a separate source, that would be connected to speakers.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #2,052 of 3,093
thanks for the idea !
I will try first the way Lucian has told me to do it.....and see how it goes once I get the DAC.

@PurpleAngel
your solution would take me at the end of the road (at least for me) in terms of a desktop hi-fi system.....which is a bit hard to do in the next several months.....due to some constraints present at this time.
Nevertheless, having been given this advice, I will give it a go at speeding things up :))

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #2,053 of 3,093

PC gaming ftw! if you have nfb-11 connected via USB to computer and play music in foobar, it should play the game and the music unless you are using wasapi or something...i dont use wasapi because i feel its annoying when im switching back and forth and it makes me reload a youtube video or video game - also i cannot hear any difference whatsoever between wasapi and direct sound. i can understand it was better with older versions of windows and in theory it should be better, but using windows 10 atm and dont notice any difference so i dont use it cus its not worth the annoyance imo. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,054 of 3,093
  PC gaming ftw! if you have nfb-11 connected via USB to computer and play music in foobar, it should play the game and the music unless you are using wasapi or something...i dont use wasapi because i feel its annoying when im switching back and forth and it makes me reload a youtube video or video game - also i cannot hear any difference whatsoever between wasapi and direct sound. i can understand it was better with older versions of windows and in theory it should be better, but using windows 10 atm and dont notice any difference so i dont use it cus its not worth the annoyance imo. 

are you using a headphones or speaker system ?
if you are willing to inform, which headphones/speakers show this similar sound results?

is the DAC working as intended if it's given the already mixed sound by windows ? I mean, in this scenario  did you hear any difference with or without the DAC between the pc and the headphones/speakers ?

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,055 of 3,093

are you using a headphones or speaker system ?
if you are willing to inform, which headphones/speakers show this similar sound results?

is the DAC working as intended if it's given the already mixed sound by windows ? I mean, in this scenario  did you hear any difference with or without the DAC between the pc and the headphones/speakers ?

I got 2 JBL studio monitors connected to the back of my o2odac  with a 3.5 to dual 1/4 cable.

and i plug in my headphones in the front headphone jack.

so what you can do with the nfb-11 is go from the rca output ont he back to 2 powered speakers with a rca to 1/4 cable, and then plug your headphones in the front, though it wont play them both speakers and headphones at the same time, though i dont see why ya would need to - i use a passive volume controller to cut off speakers when i want to use headphones, but with the nfb-11 you can just flip the switch to headphones and it will not output to rear speakers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back