Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Mar 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2,027 of 3,093
  Just to chime in here about comparing the Mojo and NFB-11 since I have both (I also have the X2s). The Mojo works fine for desktop use as that's what I've been using it mainly for at the moment. I also use it with a Fiio X5 II. I don't know where you've heard that it consumes more than a charger can supply because that hasn't been the case for me. That said, I have the 2015 version of the NFB-11 and I really like it and won't be getting rid of it any time soon so I wouldn't get buyer's regret. It's a great value for what it provides. A very good DAC and more than enough power for just about any headphone out there. Currently I have the NFB-11 feeding a Schiit Vali 2 (wanted to play around with tubes and it's a pretty cheap way to get into it) but it sounds great with the X2s on its own.

Sorry my mistake. The Mojo charger can cope ok with Mojo playing. It just has not enough capacity for simultaneous playing and proper charging. If the battery is fully charged the charging is disabled automatically, and Mojo plays ok from the charger.
So the mojo works ok as desktop mode after all. That is a good thing. Thanks for correcting me.

For me personally, being exclusively a desktop mode user, Mojo has the following disadvantages: no source switch, awkward desktop placement, and the need to replace the battery one day (it seems it can last many years, but even though some day may have to be replaced).
The Mojo DAC seems superior however.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #2,028 of 3,093

Sorry my mistake. The Mojo charger can cope ok with Mojo playing. It just has not enough capacity for simultaneous playing and proper charging. If the battery is fully charged the charging is disabled automatically, and Mojo plays ok from the charger.
So the mojo works ok as desktop mode after all. That is a good thing. Thanks for correcting me.

For me personally, being exclusively a desktop mode user, Mojo has the following disadvantages: no source switch, awkward desktop placement, and the need to replace the battery one day (it seems it can last many years, but even though some day may have to be replaced).
The Mojo DAC seems superior however.

Mojo doesn't need a source switch because it has auto priority source detection but I totally agree with you regarding the Mojo DAC sounds superior,

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #2,029 of 3,093
  Mojo doesn't need a source switch because it has auto priority source detection but I totally agree with you regarding the Mojo DAC sounds superior,

In my case I use input selection as source selection. If I connect each source with different input type, I can select between 3 sources, permanently connected. Naturally that is not a feature needed for a mobile device but can be important in desktop device.
Maybe it could be even done by firmware change alone, with some combination of existing buttons, if we don't want to add an extra button.

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,031 of 3,093
  No longer for sale

Hey people,

Should anyone based in the uk/eu wish to buy an NFB11, mine is currently listed in this forum in the Amplification for sale thread.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of the actual unit for sale:

Sorry for the double post - no longer for sale

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2,033 of 3,093
And now regarding the product, very early impressions it has pretty much blown me away. I used it briefly with my HE560s and I wouldn't call it bright or in any way underpowered which were both concerns of mine from comments (way) above. But where it really shone for me was as a standalone dac in my hifi used with a CD source (a HHB rebadged pioneer stable platter recorder). As nobody I could see had mentioned it in this context I was a little concerned but I needn't have been. It opens up the soundstage in a very convincing manner and I can hear details within that were very recessed before. I haven't gone SACD yet (I know I'm a bit behind the times!) but the improvements I have heard make me think of those I have read that higher resolution mediums bring to the table.

To put this into context, previous Dacs I have used include an MF A3.24 and a Trichord Research pulsar with PSU upgrade Only concerns at this stage are that I haven't had time to play loads of well known (by me) CDs of different genres and there is a slight feeling that there is some audio alchemy going on. Don't think it's treble lift as its not fatiguing. Sort of like having a loudness button on an amp without knowing it. Or maybe upsampling on steroids. But if it's genuine soundstage and detail retrieval then this is a fantastic way for an audiophile stuck in the past (technologically, well ok and musically!) to get into a high quality modern dac implemented very well at a low cost. If anyone reading this is still CD based I heartily recommend this product as a standalone desktop Dac. If anyone wants to sell me the audio gd sabre based dac with the bigger psu and better discrete components (I forget the model) then please contact me!

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,034 of 3,093
I forgot to mention the bass. Another concern I had was the comments on the lack of bass. It actually sounded weaker but a lot more controlled than the sound direct from the Pioneer. It reminded me of the bass response from a pair of Transmission line speakers compared to reflex port (I mean true quarter wave TLs not the quasi type like the TDL RTL series). And coming from a pair of small ribbon hybrid (rear ported) floorstanders by BKS with 4.5" woofers that is quite a compliment! A lot of people used to the peaks of reflex speakers find TLs too weak (whereas they are very well balanced when properly designed) and I imagine the situation with this dac is similar.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,035 of 3,093
And now regarding the product, very early impressions it has pretty much blown me away. I used it briefly with my HE560s and I wouldn't call it bright or in any way underpowered which were both concerns of mine from comments (way) above. But where it really shone for me was as a standalone dac in my hifi used with a CD source (a HHB rebadged pioneer stable platter recorder). As nobody I could see had mentioned it in this context I was a little concerned but I needn't have been. It opens up the soundstage in a very convincing manner and I can hear details within that were very recessed before. I haven't gone SACD yet (I know I'm a bit behind the times!) but the improvements I have heard make me think of those I have read that higher resolution mediums bring to the table.

To put this into context, previous Dacs I have used include an MF A3.24 and a Trichord Research pulsar with PSU upgrade Only concerns at this stage are that I haven't had time to play loads of well known (by me) CDs of different genres and there is a slight feeling that there is some audio alchemy going on. Don't think it's treble lift as its not fatiguing. Sort of like having a loudness button on an amp without knowing it. Or maybe upsampling on steroids. But if it's genuine soundstage and detail retrieval then this is a fantastic way for an audiophile stuck in the past (technologically, well ok and musically!) to get into a high quality modern dac implemented very well at a low cost. If anyone reading this is still CD based I heartily recommend this product as a standalone desktop Dac. If anyone wants to sell me the audio gd sabre based dac with the bigger psu and better discrete components (I forget the model) then please contact me!

I found it overly bright with my HE-560, but I am glad you're liking it. Not the best match with focus pads, but it was bearable for me with EQ. It gets fatiguing to listen for long term though. Sibilance was also an issue for me. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,036 of 3,093
Yes I did hear some sibilance and grain (eg. Eva Cassidy songbird album) but then I tried it direct from CD output and it was still there, albeit slightly less obvious. At the moment I'm putting that down to the higher resolution but I do need to try a few more albums before I can be sure.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,038 of 3,093
Sad to say but my musical tastes have changed over the years according to what sounds good. I still listen to some iron maiden, Metallica, progressive house and trance but poorly recorded albums tend to be left on the shelf. I used to like house mix albums mixed on record decks but I can now hear the limitations of the turntables so prefer digitally mixed despite the feeling that they're not as "live". I also find some period instrument baroque and classical recordings harsh. A few albums become my reference when I change something in the chain, and as that happens on a weekly to monthly basis i seem to listen to Miles Davis Kind of Blue and Dire straits love over gold an awful lot, quite depressing really (especially the latter, although to be fair I did first have a copy when I was 12 and have stuck by it steadfastly as a great album since, along with bizarrely Mike Oldfield Crises and Madonna True Blue also from the same time of my life!)

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,040 of 3,093
hey guys im thinking of ordering the nfb-11, are there currently any issues to be aware off? i saw some old posts where it said it would start making clicking noises when you change songs or pause a youtube video and stuff....also i currently have the o2odac and i like how it is transparent but i saw some people say nfb-11 is bright...would you say its still bright or transparent? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back