Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Nov 1, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #2,011 of 2,577
F528E333-E481-4E8D-A9CD-6335362B732F.jpeg

No one has a clue? Could it be the jumper they installed to make the fixed switch to work as the variable switch to cause background noise when using speakers?
You could have a ground loop. Try connecting all audio equipement to the same power distributor if not the case already.

If not a ground loop, maybe it’s the jumper, don’t know. Take off the lid (insert a thin plastic blade on a edge if having problem to lift it out after removing the screws), pull out the jumper and reinstall it while ensuring it has good grip going in. Be gentle to avoid bending a contacting pin. Make sure the pins are clean, there could be glue there. Refer to the image.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #2,012 of 2,577

You could have a ground loop. Try connecting all audio equipement to the same power distributor if not the case already.

If not a ground loop, maybe it’s the jumper, don’t know. Take off the lid (insert a thin plastic blade on a edge if having problem to lift it out after removing the screws), pull out the jumper and reinstall it while ensuring it has good grip going in. Be gentle to avoid bending a contacting pin. Make sure the pins are clean, there could be glue there. Refer to the image.

Thanks for the reply, my audio equipment is connected to a APC "device" (not a UPS/PSU) that has 5 plugs with ground and surge protection.

If I switch on the equipment there is no noise, it starts as soon as I switch my PC on. The noise is like one of a radio station, actually it seems like it. I don't understand why if I lower the SYS volume the noise will be much lower even if I turn all the r2r volume up.

Disconnecting the PC does not change the situation. It seems there are two types of noises stacking togheter. A white noise in the background that is always present when speakers and amplifier are on, even disconnecting back USB and opt. It goes away when I turn the r2r off leaving speakers on (so it is the problem)

The second type of noise is like the one of a radio station, that is attenuated by the SYS when volume is lowered and it is present when PC is on, even if not connected via USB or optical.

I don't think that this second type of noise could be solved using something like a schiit wyrd, am I right? Since it is still present when USB is unplugged but PC turned on

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #2,013 of 2,577
Thanks for the reply, my audio equipment is connected to a APC "device" (not a UPS/PSU) that has 5 plugs with ground and surge protection.

If I switch on the equipment there is no noise, it starts as soon as I switch my PC on. The noise is like one of a radio station, actually it seems like it. I don't understand why if I lower the SYS volume the noise will be much lower even if I turn all the r2r volume up.

Disconnecting the PC does not change the situation. It seems there are two types of noises stacking togheter. A white noise in the background that is always present when speakers and amplifier are on, even disconnecting back USB and opt. It goes away when I turn the r2r off leaving speakers on (so it is the problem)

The second type of noise is like the one of a radio station, that is attenuated by the SYS when volume is lowered and it is present when PC is on, even if not connected via USB or optical.

I don't think that this second type of noise could be solved using something like a schiit wyrd, am I right? Since it is still present when USB is unplugged but PC turned on
Try to plug your pc to the same power bar. Or another usb cable.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,014 of 2,577
Try to plug your pc to the same power bar. Or another usb cable.

The PC is plugged to the same power bar of the PC. I tried to unplug the PC because it has a UPS and it will stay powered on even when unplugged, and the noise remained.

As soon as I go home I can try to connect the whole PC + UPS to another wall plug, but it won't be so easy because is a bit far from the desk. Or I can try to plug the PC without the UPS

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2,015 of 2,577
Has anyone been able to overcome the distortion present in low frequencies? Is there something inherit to the R2R architecture? I listen to a lot of ambient and in quiet passages with deep basslines isolated i can totally hear distortion. Also in sound frequency checks below 200hz i can totally hear it distorting. It annoys me because i really do enjoy its deep sound and wide soundstage but ive just got a brand new pair of LCD2s and it ****s me up so much. Im wondering if i should dump it and get the NFB11.28 TXCO. What do you guys think?

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,016 of 2,577
Has anyone been able to overcome the distortion present in low frequencies? Is there something inherit to the R2R architecture? I listen to a lot of ambient and in quiet passages with deep basslines isolated i can totally hear distortion. Also in sound frequency checks below 200hz i can totally hear it distorting. It annoys me because i really do enjoy its deep sound and wide soundstage but ive just got a brand new pair of LCD2s and it ****s me up so much. Im wondering if i should dump it and get the NFB11.28 TXCO. What do you guys think?
Distorsion can occur with new cans. It happened with my new He560. Give you new hp some burn time.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2,017 of 2,577

Hi isao4k,
What is the problem? How long have You owned the R11? How many hours of burn in? The distortion You mention is not normal. The R11 needs about a month of continous burn in.
/Jan

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,018 of 2,577
Have the R2R-11.
Having terrible pops while track is playing (foobar2000 & youtube). Pop can also be hear while people pushtotalk in discord occasionally.
running through USB, on windows 10.

Tried on two pc (both win 10) still got pop in song. Tried ASIO in foobar, pop is gone. Tried optical spdif, no pop in song at all, but occasional pop when people push to talk in discord...

Any idea how to solve the usb pop? As im using spdif output from old PCI soundcard... so i prefer having usb connection.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,019 of 2,577
I am not talking about the famous pop sound. I talk specifically what its described in this reddit thread.

https://amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproje...ncy_sweep/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQGCAEoAVgB

My R2R has more than 200hr use time as well as my LCD2s. I dont think is headphone related because with my LG V20 Quad Dac i do not hear this issue neither i did with my Meizu Pro 5. I think its related with the NOS nature of the DAC or the level of THD. Drives me a bit nuts. As read in this reddit it happens to more people.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #2,020 of 2,577
Are you listening to DSDs? Because the R2R-11 doesn’t distort at low frequencies with PCM, at least not in my experience. There is unfortunately no solution for the DSD distortion, though. And as for the pops, make sure you have the latest firmware installed; it should all but eliminate them completely.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #2,021 of 2,577
Are you listening to DSDs? Because the R2R-11 doesn’t distort at low frequencies with PCM, at least not in my experience. There is unfortunately no solution for the DSD distortion, though. And as for the pops, make sure you have the latest firmware installed; it should all but eliminate them completely.

Thanks for your reply. Its not DSD "noise" as i already experienced this issue with other DSD files. I hear it with my flac files or even mp3. Its like it generates high pitched distortion, like armonics that produce a rattling sound when bass is reproduced quietly or solo.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #2,022 of 2,577
Thanks for your reply. Its not DSD "noise" as i already experienced this issue with other DSD files. I hear it with my flac files or even mp3. Its like it generates high pitched distortion, like armonics that produce a rattling sound when bass is reproduced quietly or solo.
Hmm, can’t say I ever heard this with my R2R-11. In any case I wouldn’t swap it for an NFB-11; rather consider the R-28, which fixes all the ‘issues’ and gives you a much better dac AND amp in the bargain (assuming you have the extra budget).

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,023 of 2,577
Hmm, can’t say I ever heard this with my R2R-11. In any case I wouldn’t swap it for an NFB-11; rather consider the R-28, which fixes all the ‘issues’ and gives you a much better dac AND amp in the bargain (assuming you have the extra budget).
In my experience with the R2R11 the only issues I had were with DSD playback.
PCM was perfectly glorious, even with the original firmware.
Perhaps take the esteemed gLer's advice and throw some further money at the problem...:grin:

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,024 of 2,577
throw some further money at the problem

You know, saying that is like serving alcohol at an AA meeting.

Apart from the cheesy analogy, I'm still very interested in the R-1, but see almost no sonic comments on it, apart from one fellow who compared his R2R 1 to other AGD DACs.

I would be replacing the Audio GD NOS 19 with it & find myself wondering what that would actually accomplish sonically.

Anybody have the R-1 or R2R-1 & care to comment?

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #2,025 of 2,577
You know, saying that is like serving alcohol at an AA meeting.
Isn’t audiophilia the same thing, or worse!? :wink:

Apart from the cheesy analogy, I'm still very interested in the R-1, but see almost no sonic comments on it, apart from one fellow who compared his R2R 1 to other AGD DACs.

I would be replacing the Audio GD NOS 19 with it & find myself wondering what that would actually accomplish sonically.

Anybody have the R-1 or R2R-1 & care to comment?
Anyone with an R-28 can probably answer that - except you’d need to find an R-28 owner who’s also heard the NOS 19. Perhaps ask Kingwa - although as you probably know his answers are more cryptic than Yoda’s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back