Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,041 of 2,569
Well blow me down and pick me up...your right! I ran through the settings and selected DSD only and nada.. interesting.
Yep, Schiit has a company policy of not supporting DSD on any of their dacs or devices, even though their AKM dacs can technically decode DSD. Go figure. It’s the one reason I haven’t bought any Schiit gear, not that I listen to DSD very often.

You can still keep DSD support by plugging your NFB-11 via USB and via the Eitr. Doesn’t have to be one or the other. You can simply switch between inputs to USB when you feel like some DSD goodness.

What are your impressions of the Eitr so far? Has it made a difference?

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,042 of 2,569
Yep, Schiit has a company policy of not supporting DSD on any of their dacs or devices, even though their AKM dacs can technically decode DSD. Go figure. It’s the one reason I haven’t bought any Schiit gear, not that I listen to DSD very often.

You can still keep DSD support by plugging your NFB-11 via USB and via the Eitr. Doesn’t have to be one or the other. You can simply switch between inputs to USB when you feel like some DSD goodness.

What are your impressions of the Eitr so far? Has it made a difference?
well, initial impressions are no wow factor. It does feel like its a little more musical, just a little, $200 more musical...no (unless 10% more is worth 200 to you then yes..great). Listening to So What by Miles Davis, his instrument plays a little smoother and higher (position wise). I have read that after some burn in the sound diffrence can be more discernable, so reserving my thoughts until Monday morning. Leaving it on till then.
Edit: Mondays listen will be with Radioheads Creep

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,043 of 2,569
well, initial impressions are no wow factor. It does feel like its a little more musical, just a little, $200 more musical...no (unless 10% more is worth 200 to you then yes..great). Listening to So What by Miles Davis, his instrument plays a little smoother and higher (position wise). I have read that after some burn in the sound diffrence can be more discernable, so reserving my thoughts until Monday morning. Leaving it on till then.
Edit: Mondays listen will be with Radioheads Creep
In my case the difference was large and immediate. Then again my solution was a USB reclocker/regenerator, so I’m not swapping USB for Coax. My R-28 felt like it ‘snapped into focus’ with all vocals being far less ‘echoey’ and suddenly more distinct, and far better separated from instruments (and instruments from other instruments). What I’m saying is there was nothing subtle about the change.

Perhaps your source is cleaner than you think? If it is you won’t notice much change because all it’s doing is cleaning up your source signal.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #2,044 of 2,569
Got home earlier than expected and found a tune that I really like, to have a sit down listen. Lee Fields,The Expressions version of Honey Dove. The EITR improves on the sound. Its more organic, bass a little deeper, voice more realistic. Versus the tiny mic sound without the EITR. And it does widen the soundstage a little as already mentioned here 100 times. Keeper. Not a sceptic anymore.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2,045 of 2,569
Quite a long thread. Is there a short answer on which one I should rather get for my HD600/HD660S?
R2R or NFB11 ?

Also, is it any upgrade over the NFB 12.1?

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #2,046 of 2,569
Quite a long thread. Is there a short answer on which one I should rather get for my HD600/HD660S?
R2R or NFB11 ?

Also, is it any upgrade over the NFB 12.1?
The r2r-11 is more spacious and has better timbres. The sound is leaner while remaining on the warm side. It's not a night and day difference but i prefer the r2r-11 by a clear margin.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #2,048 of 2,569
Will the NFB-11 pair well with the DT990s?
I own a pair of HD6XXs, just looking to expand the spectrum of sound signature.
The HD6XX being warm, will the bright DT990s be a good addition to my collection?
Depends if you like bright headphones. Personally I find the DT990 painfully bright, like a knife to the brain, but everyone hears differently so who knows? The NFB-11 will drive them fine.

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,049 of 2,569
Will the NFB-11 pair well with the DT990s?
I own a pair of HD6XXs, just looking to expand the spectrum of sound signature.
The HD6XX being warm, will the bright DT990s be a good addition to my collection?
I read the Dark Voice AMp can transform the HD6XX into another animal. MAssdrop sells them at a ridiculous low price but you have to wait awhile for delivery which sucks. And if your like me, when the Holidays come around, you have to have a new set of cans!!! Buy from Amazon, they have a no hassle return policy which I love, I'm debating grabbing the 250ohm DT 770 Pros or the HiFiman HE 400i . If you really want to try something out of the box...Check out the 1More Triple Driver Over Ear Headphones. Some decent reviews off those cans.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #2,050 of 2,569
Sorry to ask. I saw in your signature yoi have lg 20. Any provlem with amanero or works good?thanks in advance

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,051 of 2,569
Sorry to ask. I saw in your signature yoi have lg 20. Any provlem with amanero or works good?thanks in advance
Not at all..lol.. I don't use my smartphone off the Audio-Gd.... I primarily use my smartphone (LGV20) for my In Ear Monitors (IEM). Amernero USB is great but for OPTIMUM listening off a PC you might want to get the Schiit EITR or Topping D10, they resample your USB cable info into a purer source of info for the Audio-GD, for any Amp/Dac really. I was really sceptical about it for a long time but this year gave the Schiit a try and turned into a believer after 48 hours of listening, I'm gonna (arriving this Friday) compare the Topping D10 (to the Schiit). The topping is less than half the price and doesn't need an external power source to run it. Although I'm very impressed with the Schiit. It's gonna be an interesting comparison.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,052 of 2,569
Not at all..lol.. I don't use my smartphone off the Audio-Gd.... I primarily use my smartphone (LGV20) for my In Ear Monitors (IEM). Amernero USB is great but for OPTIMUM listening off a PC you might want to get the Schiit EITR or Topping D10, they resample your USB cable info into a purer source of info for the Audio-GD, for any Amp/Dac really. I was really sceptical about it for a long time but this year gave the Schiit a try and turned into a believer after 48 hours of listening, I'm gonna (arriving this Friday) compare the Topping D10 (to the Schiit). The topping is less than half the price and doesn't need an external power source to run it. Although I'm very impressed with the Schiit. It's gonna be an interesting comparison.
Thank you. I use the lg with iem too but i use already like source because i have only tidal and uapp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back