Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
May 10, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #1,382 of 2,569
Where is Kingwa? He's a man? Is he uncomfortable to admit his shortcomings?
Here is the answer about artifical noise on DSD I received from Kingwa (I've made few grammatical corrections):
'If the noise you can hear only with quieter music, it is normal, because it is a NOS DAC, it means no digital filter built in. So it will show some digital noise. If the digital filter built in, it sounds flavor and quality will change.'

May 10, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,383 of 2,569
Yes, it’s on their main page on the website. I don’t know why more people haven’t seen that...
For users who bought before March 28 and want to upgrade firmware, contact Audio-gd for instructions.
Sorry but that's BS. I've had that response before. The DSD noise is NOS related to noise you'd hear from lack of filtering/oversampling (otherwise it would be present in PCM recordings as well). I think AGD is terrified of admitting there's a real fault here because if they do, they'll have to pay for 1000+ returns and repairs.

May 10, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #1,384 of 2,569
Hi guys,

I have been out of these threads for awhile. After reading up... I think things are a bit blown out of proportions...

This is the R2R-11 discussed here. This small piece of gear has a stunning performance on PCM.

Kingwa has also, put in a DSD-capability. He didn't have to. USD350 is still a very good price for the PCM-performance.

The rather economic or "simple" design has both strengths as well as shortcomings. Take it for what it is.

My listening to it still stunnes me every time also on DSD-material. If You have severe problems with Your shortcomings of the R2R-11.... pass them on. Or maybe ask Kingwa for a DSD-disabeling fw to have the annoyance/disturbance solved for good.

There are also other gears out there..

/Jan

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,385 of 2,569
I think AGD is terrified of admitting there's a real fault here because if they do, they'll have to pay for 1000+ returns and repairs.
It is a very unfortunate fault but honestly maybe the R2R-11 just isn’t perfect despite how everyone would like it to be. If you feel cheated because your expectations weren’t met then you probably should try to return it but it is fantastical to think a small company like Audio-GD could or would recall every sold item and fix them — if that is even possible with this design — that would financially crush the company.

“We” who enjoy “this hobby” often strive for perfection and we all hope it is out there. It isn’t, that’s what drives our endless quest and plunders our wallets.

May 10, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #1,386 of 2,569
Hi guys,

I have been out of these threads for awhile. After reading up... I think things are a bit blown out of proportions...

This is the R2R-11 discussed here. This small piece of gear has a stunning performance on PCM.

Kingwa has also, put in a DSD-capability. He didn't have to. USD350 is still a very good price for the PCM-performance.

The rather economic or "simple" design has both strengths as well as shortcomings. Take it for what it is.

My listening to it still stunnes me every time also on DSD-material. If You have severe problems with Your shortcomings of the R2R-11.... pass them on. Or maybe ask Kingwa for a DSD-disabeling fw to have the annoyance/disturbance solved for good.

There are also other gears out there..

/Jan
+1. We are not talking about a house with flawed foundations. We are talking about a dac/amp that is so reveiling it can expose the flaws of oversampling in Foobar. Upsampling to 96k in ultra mode, Foobar muffles some subtle drum play on one of my records. With the r2r 11, if you pay attention, you will hear this easily.

May 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,387 of 2,569
The aforementioned features of R2R-11 are advertised in the manufacturer's website like the followings:
  • Unique noise reject technology remove the artifacts
  • DSD , DXD support from USB
  • Unique noise process technology will remove any digital artifact
  • True NOS design. NOS is less sensitive to jitter and offering neutral sound. To avoid the digital artifacts, a uniquely designed noise rejection processing technology is applied.
  • Native DSD support. no switch applied between the DSD and PCM decoder outputs for avoid effect on sound quality but had not obvious switch pop sound appear.
I love my unit and I support Audio-gd, but if the manufacturer's websites states or even advertises a feature, I'd expect, it works according to it.
It's not a solution if we overlook the problems and we accept, that relatively cheap products might consist flaws.

May 10, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #1,388 of 2,569
Another point: dsd has such a tiny market share that i doubt it will ever be widely adopted because it does not bring much advantages, if any at all over pcm with a proper dac.

May 10, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #1,389 of 2,569
The aforementioned features of R2R-11 are advertised in the manufacturer's website like the followings:
  • True NOS design. NOS is less sensitive to jitter and offering neutral sound. To avoid the digital artifacts, a uniquely designed noise rejection processing technology is applied.
  • Native DSD support. no switch applied between the DSD and PCM decoder outputs for avoid effect on sound quality but had not obvious switch pop sound appear.
I love my unit and I support Audio-gd, but if the manufacturer's websites states or even advertises a feature, I'd expect, it works according to it.
It's not a solution if we overlook the problems and we accept, that relatively cheap products might consist flaws.
It works with a minor flaw, some artifacts can be heard. This should be added to the description if your assertion is right. Just sell the damn thing and buy something else.

May 10, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,390 of 2,569

I fully support you and agree with you.
I think that any normal person also thinks and agrees with this.

May 10, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,391 of 2,569
I fully support you and agree with you.
I think that any normal person also thinks and agrees with this.
I agree too. But everything has to be put in perspective. The dac/amp sounds like 3-4 times its price playing pcm. The cie that builds it is small and artisanal. Audio-gd made a small and honest mistake, assuming it did. Is it worth all that fuss? I bought 8 audio-gd gears so far and will buy more in the future, because i get my money worth or more.

This combo could have been flawless but sound like its price tag suggest. What would you prefer?

May 10, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #1,392 of 2,569
I agree too. But everything has to be put in perspective. The dac/amp sounds like 3-4 times its price playing pcm. The cie that builds it is small and artisanal. Audio-gd made a small and honest mistake, assuming it did. Is it worth all that fuss? I bought 8 audio-gd gears so far and will buy more in the future, because i get my money worth or more.

This combo could have been flawless but sound like its price tag suggest. What would you prefer?

I prefer R2R-11 in a completely working condition, such as the manufacturer claims when it is sold.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #1,393 of 2,569
It works with a minor flaw, some artifacts can be heard. This should be added to the description if your assertion is right. Just sell the damn thing and buy something else.
Please, don't be upset.
What I miss is an official statement from the manufacturer regarding the flaw, and still hope, there is a cheap workaround, firmware upgrade -even if it costs a few bucks from my side- which can solve the problem.
They have a broad product range from cheaper 350usd line to more expensive 3000usd units which belong to the same company and trade mark. As I see Audio-gd would like to stand out from the dozens of "jonghua products from alibaba". Beside the quality products it means -at least for me-, they have to take their customers seriously and take care of their remarks.

May 10, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,394 of 2,569
Using the R2R 11 as a dac, does anyone know why I can control my volume via Fixed just like I can via variable?
I want to use fixed output without being able to control the volume from the R2R 11.

May 10, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,395 of 2,569
Using the R2R 11 as a dac, does anyone know why I can control my volume via Fixed just like I can via variable?
I want to use fixed output without being able to control the volume from the R2R 11.
Yes, you need to open it up and change a jumper setting inside. Read the ‘use manual’ on the Audio-GD website for instructions on how to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back