Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
May 15, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,411 of 2,569
Maybe converting to dsd256 could help, assuming the r2r 11 can play it back. Artefacts are a normal thing playing dsd64 without oversampling. Maybe they are audible with dsd128 as well, don't know. Any problem playing dsd256 files? The r2r 11 has limited processing power so...

Artefacts are audible with DSD256 as well.

May 15, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #1,413 of 2,569
I would say get the 11.28, slightly more accurate than the R2R. And for the rest of you guys with the dsd problems, didn't someone mention here that using a product like the Schiit eitr could get rid off all that noise? http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr
Schitt Eitr doesn’t support DSD and R2R-11 doesn’t support DSD over coax. So no go.

May 18, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,414 of 2,569
I'll paste my own impressions here as well:

After selling my Theta and Mojo I was going into the R2R11 with a healthy dose of skepticism, owing to my mixed A-gd experience and low all-in-one price point.
Boy, was I in for a very pleasant surprise! Over the past days, this unit has made its place in my collection as one of the highest regarded units that I've ever owned (perhaps even listened to). The tonality with the included amplifier is spot on, very similar to how I remember the Theta and DAC-19 sounding like, but better detailed, with wider soundstage and just as much vintage goodness. The amplifier has ample power to drive most headphones and with the ones I've tested so far it sounded excellent. It has all the essential inputs (similar to the Mojo) and sounded excellent through the speaker outs with my monitors. The USB implementation is rock solid and as someone who's had many issues with their previous VIA USB32, performs flawlessly and sounds great. The ALPS potentiometer feels super smooth, there's low and high gain and it can be made slightly warmer sounding by adjusting a set of jumpers inside (I did not find this necessary myself). It runs barely warm to the touch and blends fairly well on a modern desk with its fairly small footprint.
For the asking price of $350 (well, closer to $450 if I account for shipping and VAT) I still couldn't believe it. Not only was the sound way above what I expected in the best case scenario (somewhere between the Mojo and Theta, closer to a DS device) but it also ranks as one of my cheapest, if not the cheapest audio gear purposes ever. Taking a glance at my profile, if I combine any number of amps and DACs together they always came out pricier and just not as good. To conclude, I am stunned and delighted that there's a unit like this available, and as much as it was a shot in the dark for me (completely new R2R design, new USB board, low price, mixed experience) I can safely say that this unit will stay here for a while and that I don't think there's frankly a better R2R DAC/amp combo out there right now in its price range and a few notches above it.
As pointed out, I previously owned their TOTL DS designs (NFB-7) and their DS all in one, which should be pretty similar to the NFB11 (Compass2) and R2R11 gets my vote. Easily one of my best purchases ever.
Nice to hear, I'm about to buy one! I love the build quality too.

May 18, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #1,415 of 2,569
I would like again to bring again to everyone's attention a very simple way to improve the SQ for the USB input of R2R11 for free.
The Amanero USB interface does not need power over the USB line and works flawlessly without it (have been using this for months already).
The easiest and easily reversible way to disconnect the power is to but a small piece of tape on pin 1 that carries the 5+V (picture below).
It makes more sense to do it on the USB A connector - i.e. the side of your source (PC/laptop/streamer)
USB-2.0-vs-3.0-Cables.png

I will not go into speculation why this works and has such positive effect but it does raise the SQ considerably.
It also decreases the loudness of the ïnfamous "pop" to negligible levels.
My guess is that this will work on all ADG DACs that have the Amanero Board.
You owe it to yourselves to give it a try!

May 18, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #1,416 of 2,569
I still see people talking about the popping issue on the R2R. However on contacting Kingwa at Audio GD, he says that they've got rid of the pop issues since the March 28th firmware update.
So have they finally got rid of it or is it still there?
Any feedback from the new buyers or the ones who updated their firmware?

May 18, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #1,417 of 2,569
I would like again to bring again to everyone's attention a very simple way to improve the SQ for the USB input of R2R11 for free.
The Amanero USB interface does not need power over the USB line and works flawlessly without it (have been using this for months already).
The easiest and easily reversible way to disconnect the power is to but a small piece of tape on pin 1 that carries the 5+V (picture below).
It makes more sense to do it on the USB A connector - i.e. the side of your source (PC/laptop/streamer)

I will not go into speculation why this works and has such positive effect but it does raise the SQ considerably.
Great, I knew I'd seen something about the USB on ag-d gear somewhere and couldn't remember where I'd seen it! How/why does this work, I wonder? "The Amanero Combo 384 have not power supply from computer for less disturb" says king-wa. I guess he agrees :)

May 18, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,418 of 2,569

Just to add to the context, after getting the R2R11 I sold my Marantz HD DAC1, Chord Mojo, iFi nano iUSB3.0, Allo DigiOne player and my Singxer F1 is up for sale still.
Yesterday I removed the iFi iDefender from the chain and find the straight connection laptop->Supra USB with pin # 1 covered->R2R11 even better than with the iDefender (improved dynamics on both sides).
I am waiting for an iFi AC iPurifier next week and will report the effect.
I am loving the R2R11 and it is amazing!

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,419 of 2,569
Just to add to the context, after getting the R2R11 I sold my Marantz HD DAC1, Chord Mojo, iFi nano iUSB3.0, Allo DigiOne player and my Singxer F1 is up for sale still.
Yesterday I removed the iFi iDefender from the chain and find the straight connection laptop->Supra USB with pin # 1 covered->R2R11 even better than with the iDefender (improved dynamics on both sides).
I am waiting for an iFi AC iPurifier next week and will report the effect.
I am loving the R2R11 and it is amazing!
Wow, that's pretty epic. I can dig it though, when I received my Questyle QP1R, it so out-performed my $3500NZ TRI valve output CD player (which I loved, incidentally!) both as a source and as a portable player (it's a fantastic source!) that the TRI went on the market almost straight away. Very much looking forward to buying my own R2R-11 very soon. Since you have HE500s there, and I've heard that planars go well with the R2R, do you reckon the HE400S will start to sing properly with it?

May 18, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,420 of 2,569
I don't own the HE500 for some time now. People on this forum have reported great results with them. The short time I had with HE500 and R2R11 was very good! My personal preference though is dynamic drivers. The EMU-Teak are great with the R2R11.

May 18, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #1,422 of 2,569
Had CMA600i/QP1R/Chord mojo and I'm staying with the R2R 11.
Just looked at pictures of the internals of the CMA600i. It seems like quite professional and costs almost 4 times. Yet you like the R2R11 better. There is something special about the DA-8 R-2R modules in the R2R11!

May 18, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,424 of 2,569
I don't own the HE500 for some time now. People on this forum have reported great results with them. The short time I had with HE500 and R2R11 was very good! My personal preference though is dynamic drivers. The EMU-Teak are great with the R2R11.
Righto, thanks. Strangely, my HE400S with Focus A pads sound their best straight out of the QP1R, every other amp I've used so far has been ok but disappointing, maybe the R2R will be the exception, although it's my fabulous HD540 Ref1s that are my favourites by far over everything else I have, including the HD6xx, which lag quite some way behind. I shall look forward to playing around.

May 18, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,425 of 2,569
The CMA600i is hands down better than R2R 11 in everything but something is magical with the R2R 11, using supra usb cables ruines the magic for me, I use the stock one.
Will get the blue USB cable and try it tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back