Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #451 of 2,577
Just received my R2R 11 yesterday. It's replacing Schiit stack (Magni 3/Mimby 2). I thought this would be lateral move but it sounds like upgrade to me. I've been using Sennheiser HD 6xx and Fostex TH-X00 and compared to Schiit stack, sound is much open and refined. Much better instrument clarity and lush presentation.

In case anyone is wondering, no pop switching between Tidal, Spotify and Youtube.
Given how well regarded the Mimby is, and the fact that it will sound better after break-in, it makes me even closer to ordering one. God, help me.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #452 of 2,577
@coklatua

No master but anyway..

You should add TCXO if choosing the 11.28. That said the price for them (R2R-11 and 11.28) are equal (350 US$).

Both will serve You very well, crisp and clean (.28) or more "true and soulful" (R2R).

/Jan
Well... Crisp and clean the .28 is... 1.5 weeks into my amp. Now im curious about the R2R, anybody in California or near me want to swap amps?

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #456 of 2,577
I don't know if I'm fueling the fire, but hopefully I can add a little bit to this and settle things a bit.

@Renato Fury , there is a pop, something I've (and many others) mentioned previously in this thread and on a few other ones. I can only vouch for my own setup, which you can see in my signature.

From units I own/have owned from Audio-gd, the following exhibit a tiny, almost imperceptible pop when playing a track that had a different sample rate than the previous track: NFB-11.32, 11.32 TCXO, 11.28, 11.28 TCXO, 15, 15.32, 16, R2R 11, R2R 2. This was constant across: straight from PC's onboard USB 2.0, PC's onboard USB 3.0, Schiit Wyrd, Schiit Eitr (as DDC, coax out), iFi nano iOne (as DDC, coax out). This happens when using DirectSound, ASIO, and Wasapi, streaming or local. This is not a unique phenomenon to my Audio-gd units, as my iFi units demoed (aforementioned nano iOne as DAC out, iDSD BL, etc.) also exhibit the tiny pop during sample rate changes.

With that said, here are some scenarios where the pop is absent: If using Spotify, use Fidelify. It locks sample rate to 44kHz. I don't find this absolutely necessary as most of Spotify is 44kHz with some 48 peppered in. Also, listening to complete albums. Unless you have a hodge podge of randomly encoded tracks that together make an album, typically albums are encoded across the same sample rate. Even on Tidal HiFi, only when shuffling (or playing a really random collection of music I've compiled into a playlist) do I encounter a pop when a Master track sneaks in, but more often than not it's a world of 44kHz, meaning pop-free listening. Unless you listen to Pop as stated so eloquently earlier in this thread.

Regarding the operating temperature of the NFB-11.28 and R2R 11 (since this thread is primarily about them), they get warm after a bit of use, but never hot to the touch. In the R2R 11's case, it's arguable that there is a sonic change (for the better, again arguably) when it reaches operating temperature versus cold due to the design of resistors.

If the notion of this pop still bothers you after reading all this, it's time to move on bud. So much other great gear out there to enjoy.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #457 of 2,577
And where does Mimby get into this story?
Just the fact that a person who owned both the Mimby, which is very well reviewed, and the r2r 11, prefers the latter. The Schiit stack cost about the same amount landed. So yet another confirmation of the very high value of the r2r 11. I owned the nfb15 in the past, it would still be a good value today for 350$, although it sold for 210 then. The r2r 11 is better on paper on these aspects: dac implementation, transfo, usb card. So again, that tells me how good the value is. I am not the only one to see this, check the shipments done by audio-gd lately. The r2r 11 is easily their best selling product.

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #460 of 2,577
Ordered a R2R-11 last night. Damn you 31 pages of reading.
An informed purchase is the best kind of purchase. Have fun and hope you love it. :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back