Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Dec 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #346 of 2,569
I’m having trouble using my R2R-11 with my iMac running Audirvana+. It hangs up on “Initializing audio device”. Any ideas?
Try a cheap usb cable. The amanero (and my singxer f-1) can be fussy with upmarket usb cables.

I often have to do a couple of attempts before it's works. After that, you are OK to go and you won't have any problem unless you disconnect audirvana by pressing stop.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #349 of 2,569
I'm curious to see how much the warm setting influences the HD800. Has anyone tried this yet? I don't exactly have bright headphones.
While you should try it for yourself, in my opinion that jumper setting sounds like absolute junk, at least for this unit. It simply tapers the highs way too damn much and that's an interpretation of "warm" I guess. I found no benefit or scenario I'd use it.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #350 of 2,569
I cannot find this answer anywhere. Can the nfb11 / nfb 11.28 / R2R 11 power passive 5" bookshelf speakers? Seems like the Fixed position might work but would not have volume control so that is not really a solution.
I have good hearing and all of the powered monitors I've tested have a hiss (even without any inputs connected). So I'm hoping that an Audio-GD unit + passive speakers will be hiss free.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #351 of 2,569
I cannot find this answer anywhere. Can the nfb11 / nfb 11.28 / R2R 11 power passive 5" bookshelf speakers? Seems like the Fixed position might work but would not have volume control so that is not really a solution.
I have good hearing and all of the powered monitors I've tested have a hiss (even without any inputs connected). So I'm hoping that if I get an Audio-GD unit + passive speakers will be hiss free.
Maybe invest in powered speakers? For the money, you'd probably find something good.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #352 of 2,569
I have good hearing and all of the powered monitors I've tested have a hiss (even without any inputs connected). So I'm hoping that if I get an Audio-GD unit + passive speakers will be hiss free.
Maybe invest in powered speakers? For the money, you'd probably find something good.

As I mentioned, all of the powered monitors I've tested have a hiss (even without any inputs connected). I currently have JBL LSR305's.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #353 of 2,569
As I mentioned, all of the powered monitors I've tested have a hiss (even without any inputs connected). I currently have JBL LSR305's.
Gotcha, any of the these amps will work then. Preamp out and just use the volume control. Think that's how it works. So basically you'd just be using the dac portion of the amp and the speakers would just power themselves. And you'd have a good little unit for your future headphone collection!

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #354 of 2,569
I'm getting rid of the JBL LSR305's because the hiss gets old when you sit in front of it all day. (I should never have posted that because you are getting off topic now.) Let me repeat the important part of the question:
Does anyone know the answer to this? Can the nfb11 / nfb 11.28 / R2R 11 power passive 5" bookshelf speakers? Seems like the Fixed position might work but would not have volume control so that is not really a solution.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #355 of 2,569
I'm getting rid of the JBL LSR305's because the hiss gets old when you sit in front of it all day. (I should never have posted that because you are getting off topic now.) Let me repeat the important part of the question:
Does anyone know the answer to this? Can the nfb11 / nfb 11.28 / R2R 11 power passive 5" bookshelf speakers? Seems like the Fixed position might work but would not have volume control so that is not really a solution.
I don't have the NFB11, but the R2R-11 has pretty high noise floor compared to other DAC/amps and I'm even getting some hiss on my KZ ZS6 IEM when turning the volume knob to the max.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #356 of 2,569
I'm Impressed. It really does sound...good! #JustGotEm :)
20171219-_MG_4352.jpg

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #357 of 2,569
While you should try it for yourself, in my opinion that jumper setting sounds like absolute junk, at least for this unit. It simply tapers the highs way too damn much and that's an interpretation of "warm" I guess. I found no benefit or scenario I'd use it.

I'm think about buying the TH-900's again, so I might. Sounds like it makes them more dark than warm though.

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #359 of 2,569
ANybody using the Audio-GD with Tidal? Tidal just plays one track and stops at a pause, and just with this amp...dam it. Thought it was gonna be a smooth ride here. :D
Change the sample rate to 44100/16 in the settings and see if the issue persists or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back