Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #376 of 2,569
FredA, THANK YOU very much for that information. I appreciated it.
I wonder what Audio-GD was thinking with the fixed mode. What purpose does it serve?
There are many uses for many people regarding fixed and variable outs - I'll give you mine for example(s).

Fixed mode is just that - fixed line output that is not affected by the AGD's volume knob, typically around ~2vrms like many standalone DACs. I use fixed when outputting to my Little Dot MKII, and use the MKII's volume control. I use Variable when outputting to my powered speakers. My speakers have a volume control, but they are inconvenient to reach for (and I lost the remote, but that's a different story) and using the AGD as a preamp (i.e. - its volume knob for control) is tons more convenient. I also used to have it split to a power amp I was using for a previous set of unpowered speakers - same thing, preamp volume control, except in this case the power amp didn't have a volume control so it was a black and white need.

While you can use Variable out in conjunction with another amp that has its own volume control, you'll introduce clipping if you turn the AGD's volume pot past ~halfway, at least in my experience. On my NFB-15 and previously owned NFB-11's and R2R 11, 12 o'clock on the pot was pretty close to the same volume as Fixed out, and there's distortion and clipping too far past that. Plus, two volume controls for one output is pretty redundant.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #377 of 2,569
I wonder what Audio-GD was thinking with the fixed mode. What purpose does it serve?

The fixed mode is for the device to act as a regular dac, a standard source level dac, used with preamp and power amps. Under some conditions even used to active speakers (power amped) where the volume are adjusted on the speakers.(rare though)

/Jan

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #378 of 2,569
Fixed mode is just a dac i think

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #379 of 2,569
Hi,

does it make sense to invest in the R2R 11 if I already have the NFB-11.28? Is it worth the extra money? Do I notice a big difference? I am very happy with the NFB-11 right now but am thinking to test the R2R world. Thinking about a R2R 2 is also very interesting but then i need a C-2 and that will be ca 1300$ or more...and for only headphone/desktop use I think these 2 much more bigger and heavier devices are too much. I wouldn't need that power? Would you agree on this?
Perhaps also wait until a new revision of the R2R-11 will get out in perhaps 1 or 2 years and then try it out. Hopefully then without the popping noises etc. Btw. didn't notice these noises with the NFB-11.
Thanks

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #380 of 2,569
does it make sense to invest in the R2R 11 if I already have the NFB-11.28? Is it worth the extra money? Do I notice a big difference?

I should say Yes. The R2R-11 is an excellent choice to try out the "R2R domain". It is a very mature sounding dac that can handle DSD along with other quality formats. It is very low dollars for its true performance. I also have both (11.28 and R2R-11) and they are different. I will not sell any of them.
Right now I use the R2R-11 as dac (fixed volume) feeding my speaker setup, along with other dacs for comparisonand it matches the higher gears "too good"I think. The 11.28 is a work headphone and dac+pre (Variable volume) to a small poweramp-speaker setup.
/Jan

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #381 of 2,569
Fixed mode is line level mode where you only use the DAC section, bypassing the amp section all together. Or at least that's what I thought.
Hi,

does it make sense to invest in the R2R 11 if I already have the NFB-11.28? Is it worth the extra money? Do I notice a big difference? I am very happy with the NFB-11 right now but am thinking to test the R2R world. Thinking about a R2R 2 is also very interesting but then i need a C-2 and that will be ca 1300$ or more...and for only headphone/desktop use I think these 2 much more bigger and heavier devices are too much. I wouldn't need that power? Would you agree on this?
Perhaps also wait until a new revision of the R2R-11 will get out in perhaps 1 or 2 years and then try it out. Hopefully then without the popping noises etc. Btw. didn't notice these noises with the NFB-11.
Thanks
@givemetacos has both (NFB11 & R2R11) or used to have both, and he said he is struggling to notice a difference between both using Vahalla 2 as amp. Maybe you can chime in, @givemetacos ?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #382 of 2,569
Trying with my kz-6. no hum or noise. by the way the kz-6 sounds really good with this amplifier.
i´m waiting an otg microusb to usb b cable. i want to see if amanero made a click with android

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #383 of 2,569
Trying with my kz-6. no hum or noise. by the way the kz-6 sounds really good with this amplifier.
i´m waiting an otg microusb to usb b cable. i want to see if amanero made a click with android
I just turned the volume knob to the max, it surely made some hiss with my KZ ZS6, my guess is its around 40-50 db. My friend did the same test with ZS6 on Magni 3 and Emotiva BasX A-100 (connected to a Spring L3 KTE dac), both have the same hiss. Both ECP DSHA-0 and Liquid Crimson had perfectly black background at full volume.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #384 of 2,569
I just turned the volume knob to the max, it surely made some hiss with my KZ ZS6, my guess is its around 40-50 db. My friend did the same test with ZS6 on Magni 3 and Emotiva BasX A-100 (connected to a Spring L3 KTE dac), both have the same hiss. Both ECP DSHA-0 and Liquid Crimson had perfectly black background at full volume.
you´re right. at max the hiss is audible but i think it´s not conveniente to listen at max level:beyersmile:.but this amplifier is designed for normal headphones.just for curiosity: how much the ecp and cavalli?

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #385 of 2,569
you´re right. at max the hiss is audible but i think it´s not conveniente to listen at max level:beyersmile:.but this amplifier is designed for normal headphones.just for curiosity: how much the ecp and cavalli?
No one should listen at full volume, its just to show the noise floor of the amp because some people with very sensitive IEMs or speakers might wanna know that. DSHA-0 is a prototype and there are only 3 units exist in this world. My friend got it like for $2000 used. Liquid Crimson was around $3000 but its super rare even though I can see its price to go only down now that Cavalli is gone:ksc75smile:.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #386 of 2,569
No one should listen at full volume, its just to show the noise floor of the amp because some people with very sensitive IEMs or speakers might wanna know that. DSHA-0 is a prototype and there are only 3 units exist in this world. My friend got it like for $2000 used. Liquid Crimson was around $3000 but its super rare even though I can see its price to go only down now that Cavalli is gone:ksc75smile:.
so for a 340€ not bad:ksc75smile:

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #387 of 2,569
so for a 340€ not bad:ksc75smile:
Yeah of course, not bad at all. In fact the R2R 11 is so good that I'm listening to music at all times:L3000: (never really into music as much as this before).

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #388 of 2,569
Yeah of course, not bad at all. In fact the R2R 11 is so good that I'm listening to music at all times:L3000: (never really into music as much as this before).
mine is 15, slightly different. still under running and i´m waiting to buy a decent headphone but as first contact and after tried some stuffs(not expensive high-end but decent stuffs)i´m more and more convinced that the quality with low price is possible.
i had in the past another audio-gd balanced with wolfson dac(i don´t remember the name, was 10 something...), really good sound

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #389 of 2,569
Hi. Right now my HD6XX is on their way to me.
Right now I'm deciding between NFB 11.28 or R2R 11.
This is my first dac/amp so Im very noob about the sound sounding. Lol..
Along with HD6XX that is coming, I also have KZ ZS5 which I considered it as very bright Iems.
My taste in music is very wide.
I listen from rock, pop, alternative, edm/hip hop, acoustic, soundtracks to some orchestra music like Joe Hisaishi.
Anything I find it good I'll listen to them.
So which I should choose?
Ive emailed Kingwa and he said if I don't know to choose he recommends the NFB 11 because it is cheaper and have more options to adjust the sound.
But, after reading this thread, more people prefer the R2R11 I guess..
So, help me master..

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #390 of 2,569
@coklatua

No master but anyway..

You should add TCXO if choosing the 11.28. That said the price for them (R2R-11 and 11.28) are equal (350 US$).

Both will serve You very well, crisp and clean (.28) or more "true and soulful" (R2R).

/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back