Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Oct 2, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #61 of 2,569
BTW, with this DAC feeding the SA-31, I'm finding myself using the custom Grados to listen to classical (Hindemith, as I write this)!

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #62 of 2,569
Before that, it was Coltrane's Giant Steps.

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #63 of 2,569
I'm starting to think of doing something with a pair of Nhoord drivers (but that will be for another thread!).

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #64 of 2,569
. The R2R-11 produces small pops when changing music with different sampling rates. The 11.28 is more sublime.

/Jan.

I was looking to replace my NFB 12 (in which the usb input started failing) with a NFB 11 or R2R 11.
But digital noise during a sample rate switch sounds like a no go for me.

I did not buy a new dac in over 5 years, and i hoped that the sample rate switch noise was something they got under controll in the meantime. :frowning2:

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #65 of 2,569
Yes, with USB, I hear clicks & pops from these sources
MacBook Pro 2015 > Vanilla Itunes > USB > R2R-11
MacBook Pro 2015 > HQPlayer > USB > R2R-11
MacBook Pro 2015 > BitPerfect > USB > R2R-11
MacBook Pro 2015 > Audirvana > USB > R2R-11
Also, sometimes I hear an unpleasant click going from iTunes to Youtube vice versa. So how about optical? Sadly I can still hear sampling rate switch noise.

For me, USB sampling rate switch noise is less annoying compared to the optical port. So I'll stick with the USB for now.

It's a real pity that I have all these problems. Becuase I absolutely love the sound of R2R-11. Initially lazy & blurry bass and mids and highs cleared a lot after using it for about 5 days now and I find the overall tonal balance, space, separation, and realism to be really beautiful.

Also with my previous DACs, audiophile media players like HQPlayer, Audirvana and bit perfect were necessary to bring out the best possible sound. But with R2R-11 I don't know if I need those anymore. I get absolutely beautiful sound even with vanilla iTunes.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #66 of 2,569
Ok, here is a good news,
Audio-gd asked me to try different sample rates to reduce the popping noise. And that did it! For me, 352.8 has the smallest pop compared to all the other settings and especially my previous setting which was @ 44.1. Huge difference! So do try all the sample rates if you find the popping sound too loud. Now, this pop is so small it doesn't bother me at all.

Also, Audio-gd explained that the R2R-11 has no mute switch inside to get the purest and best signal.
Great, for better sound I can totally live with this tiny pop.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 9.12.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #68 of 2,569
If you want a specific comparison with other Audio-gd products might be best to ask kingwa directly. I mean, I bought R2R-11 to just use at work but I love the sound so much I wanted to get another or its bigger brother for my home setup. So I got totally hyped-up about getting R2R-2 and asked kingwa many questions. And the response I got from kingwa was very surprising because it didn't sound like someone trying to just sell stuff but he wanted to help me find exactly what I need. He basically told me to calm down (not his words of course) and burn-in for at least 10 days and see how I like the sound of R2R-11.

This is from audio-gd website.
Sound flavor different between R2R 11 and NFB-11:
They are not which is better but most different on the flavor and worth own both just like you own some different headphones.
NFB-11 sound detail, dynamic, control but not bright and hash.
R2R 11 had the exotic sound quality! Smooth, coherent and analogue, it had not emphasize anythings but had not miss.
E.g : You can image the NFB11.28 like a high defined digital photo but the R2R 11 is a like real oil painting.
If you are a new audiophile , you should choice the NFB11.28 better than R2R 11, NFB11.28 had the modern sound may easy suite the new audiophile.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #69 of 2,569
If you want a specific comparison with other Audio-gd products might be best to ask kingwa directly. I mean, I bought R2R-11 to just use at work but I love the sound so much I wanted to get another or its bigger brother for my home setup. So I got totally hyped-up about getting R2R-7 and asked kingwa many questions. And the response I got from kingwa was very surprising because it didn't sound like someone trying to just sell stuff but he wanted to help me find exactly what I need. He basically told me to calm down (not his words of course) and burn-in for at least 10 days and see how I like the sound of R2R-11.

This is from audio-gd website.
Sound flavor different between R2R 11 and NFB-11:
They are not which is better but most different on the flavor and worth own both just like you own some different headphones.
NFB-11 sound detail, dynamic, control but not bright and hash.
R2R 11 had the exotic sound quality! Smooth, coherent and analogue, it had not emphasize anythings but had not miss.
E.g : You can image the NFB11.28 like a high defined digital photo but the R2R 11 is a like real oil painting.
If you are a new audiophile , you should choice the NFB11.28 better than R2R 11, NFB11.28 had the modern sound may easy suite the new audiophile.

Yep I read that, how can I talk to this Kingwa?
I assume that is the owner of Audio-GD?

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #71 of 2,569
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #74 of 2,569
Hi guys,, do you think R2R11 would be good for HD6xx? I'm going to order maybe next week.. Anyone tried this cans on R2R11 or NFB.11? Thanks
It'd be stellar. Easily powers them, and each unit's sound sig is conducive to the 6xx's strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I'd recommend the R2R 11 over the NFB-11 (I've owned both and tested extensively with the 6xx) simply because the R2R 11 is more musical, and the 6xx is a musical headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #75 of 2,569
You owned both? Wow.. Do you have an impression for both? I haven't keep track the threads on these two amps. Will do more research later.

I plan on using one of this on my Stereo setup as well as a DAC. Anyone had tried this as well?

I will contact Kingwa this week. Do they have waiting time for R2R.11?

Thanks!

It'd be stellar. Easily powers them, and each unit's sound sig is conducive to the 6xx's strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I'd recommend the R2R 11 over the NFB-11 (I've owned both and tested extensively with the 6xx) simply because the R2R 11 is more musical, and the 6xx is a musical headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back