Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 19, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #751 of 2,569
R2R 11 or NFB-11 for AKG K712?

Just got the headphones yesterday and was running them off a FX-Audio X6 ($80) as a DAC and JDS O2 as an amp. It sounds pretty good to me but I am wondering how much more will they scale with the R2R 11 and also if the warmth of the R2R will take away some detail (some say no and that it adds even more!).

I've heard people say K712's go well with tube amps (which are much warmer than the R2R), so a warm SS would be good and not too warm? In any case both the R2R and NFB 11.28 are both said to tame the highs a little and also add more sounds stage and better dynamics. Will I be better off upgrading to say, an ODAC, to better my $80 DAC and keep the O2 (might be too bright on some songs and struggles to push the K712's in some low volume songs when in full power/ low gain) or go for the R2R 11?

I feel I'm not getting the most out of the phones, even though it already sounds really good.
Recommendations? Any experience with Audio gd and AKG's? or more specifically K712's?

PS. I don't care about the popping (is not even bad), the FX-Audio I have now goes pink noise when I change from 16bit to 24bit and have to unplug the USB and reconnect it. Most annoying thing ever, hurts my ears :triportsad:.
I have an O2+ODAC (soon to be upgraded to R2R-11) and I also have a DAC-X6. That pink noise thing is horrible. I was playing BF4 with my K712s and everything was fine then I switched to BF1 and all of a sudden the pink noise comes out of nowhere and scares the crap out of me, perhaps it's best to leave the X6 at 16-bit since it doesn't do the pink noise thing at 16-bit.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #753 of 2,569
Expecting my r2r-11 next week. I really did not need it, i think it's is probably gonna distract me from my work (i'll use it at the office). But knowing how good this unit sounds, it like a collector's item to me. It's Audio-gd's best gear for the money ever perhaps and a really good piece of equipement, at any price. It reminds me of an old Cambridge Audio cd player i had at the end of the 90s, the CD4se. It could rival the best out there for a fraction of the price. I think the r2r 11 would cost 2k if only put in a fancier case with beefier transfo. And it would be a bargain even at that price. It just sounds right. And it's forgiving. Helleluia my Lord.

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #758 of 2,569
What i meant was a r2r 11. The way it plays microdynamics, combined to any decent pair of heaphones and i garantee you will like the mentioned record.

The best thing in R2R 11 is that the detail and microdynamics it plays aren't a trade-off, the musicality and engagement is out of this world level.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #759 of 2,569
After many years in this hobby, it's my last amplifier for low impedance/easy to drive headphones. I'm really satisfied due to combination of detail and non fatiguing sound

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #763 of 2,569
Still love mine and don't see it going anywhere!

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #764 of 2,569
Got the Eikons in. They sound effing amazing out of the R2R-11. I think with the Emotiva, it will sound even better. I almost want to get into the tube game but for the moment, I'm not going to spend anymore money lol. Not enough head time to really give an impression but they are the perfect compliment to the LCD-2Cs.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #765 of 2,569
Got the Eikons in. They sound effing amazing out of the R2R-11. I think with the Emotiva, it will sound even better. I almost want to get into the tube game but for the moment, I'm not going to spend anymore money lol. Not enough head time to really give an impression but they are the perfect compliment to the LCD-2Cs.
In the same boat..tube amp or new cans...what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back