Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #738 of 2,569
Whats your impressions on the Classics..been wanting to pull the trigger on these, how do they mate/match with the Audio-GD?
I sold all my headphones and kept only my LCD2C. A lot of people have been saying it doesn't sound as good as the LCD2.2f but then there are a lot of people are also saying the LCD2Cs sound better than the fazored version. People claim its a really dark headphone, but my impression is that it's a warm headphone with lots of subbass and midbass extension. The mids and highs remind me of the HD650 but without that Sennheiser veil where the mids and highs sound a bit muted and very boring.

The mids and highs have a very rich tonality and vocals in the low and midrange are more forward rather than laid back compared to the instruments. The soundstage really feels like you're front row of a concert in the VIP seat directly in front of the singer. After the R2R-11 opened up and I added the Schiit Eitr to the chain, I hear a ton of microdetails from my LCD2Cs when before I only had the magni 3 and multibit combo which in my opinion felt a bit more compressed and the mids were more discombobulated and got lost in the lows and highs. It's a very revealing headphone, it will make a poorly mastered source sound like poop. With the R2R-11 and Eitr, my mids have a lot more separation from the rest of the spectrum and now even classical sounds good. If you're looking for neutral, this headphone isn't it.

Overall, I love this headphone, definitely not selling or returning it. The 600 dollar price tag is also going to end at the end of January and it will go back to 800 so make sure to bite before Audeze brings up the price.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #740 of 2,569
I was told my R2R had shipped on the 11th but, a full week later, I still haven't received the tracking number. Can't wait. Just got my HD600 2 days ago.
You might wanna send an email to Kingwa asking for the tracking number. He probably forgot considering he filled a ton of orders over the holidays. Mine came in about 10 days after I got the notice. Once the R2R-11 comes in, make sure to run music through it for a few days. Took forever to open up but I don't even think mine is fully open yet.

Also, when my Emotiva BasX A-100 comes in Monday I'll do some listening to see if the LCD2Cs get even more dynamic and engaging.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #741 of 2,569
You might wanna send an email to Kingwa asking for the tracking number. He probably forgot considering he filled a ton of orders over the holidays. Mine came in about 10 days after I got the notice. Once the R2R-11 comes in, make sure to run music through it for a few days. Took forever to open up but I don't even think mine is fully open yet.

Also, when my Emotiva BasX A-100 comes in Monday I'll do some listening to see if the LCD2Cs get even more dynamic and engaging.
thinking 3 weeks is what it will take to open up. Sweet amps.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #742 of 2,569

I asked them twice: on the 15th (combined with another question) and on the 16th. I got the customary answer that I was also given in the email that informed me it had shipped "Usually we get the track number in 3 days later after we shipping, we will send to you once we have gotten it." If they don't send it to me this night, I might contact them again.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #743 of 2,569
I asked them twice: on the 15th (combined with another question) and on the 16th. I got the customary answer that I was also given in the email that informed me it had shipped "Usually we get the track number in 3 days later after we shipping, we will send to you once we have gotten it." If they don't send it to me this night, I might contact them again.
I also got above standard reply when I enquired about the tracking number. In my case I got the tracking number after few days of the dispatch.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #744 of 2,569
So can anybody compare this to the Grace m9XX or Grace m900? They are essentially the same DAC/AMP. I'm interested in sound and power comparison though when I get a chance, I'll look up the specs. Just finished up this thread and both these amps sound impressive. I'll be honest though, the Grace m9XX is no slouch either.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #745 of 2,569
So can anybody compare this to the Grace m9XX or Grace m900? They are essentially the same DAC/AMP. I'm interested in sound and power comparison though when I get a chance, I'll look up the specs. Just finished up this thread and both these amps sound impressive. I'll be honest though, the Grace m9XX is no slouch either.
R2R 11 & 11.28
Support Sampling:

USB PCM model: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz , 192kHz, 352.8kHz,384kHz
USB DSD native mode: DSD64 , DSD128, DSD 256 .
Coaxial model: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz
Optical model: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz

Find it interesting that the usb output goes to 384khz yet the coaxial maxes at 192kHz.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #746 of 2,569
From Grace m900 specifications:

• USB, S/PDIF and Toslink digital inputs, supports up to 192kHz (Toslink up to 96kHz)
  • Asynchronous USB interface for jitter free computer audio playback, supports up to 384kHz PCM and 256x DSD
  • Dual zero ohm output

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #747 of 2,569
When yall list basic specs like that it really doesn't show anything.

One uses the AK4490 which has that "velvet sound" or in my words colored sound signature, the others are well... a warm r2r dac and a bright/analytical sabre dac.

Amp section the R2R and NFB wins hands down as it provides a lot more power and from personal experience very clean distortion free power. From what I've gathered, the Grace has a really weak amp section and people tend to pair it with other amps.

The AGD combos are a tier above what the Grace m9xx are priced at. To me it almost looks like a glorified Schiit Fulla 2.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #748 of 2,569

One uses the AK4490 which has that "velvet sound" or in my words colored sound signature, the others are well... a warm r2r dac and a bright/analytical sabre dac.

Amp section the R2R and NFB wins hands down as it provides a lot more power and from personal experience very clean distortion free power. From what I've gathered, the Grace has a really weak amp section and people tend to pair it with other amps.

The AGD combos are a tier above what the Grace m9xx are priced at. To me it almost looks like a glorified Schiit Fulla 2.

First off, I listed the specs because I was quoted with a listing of similar specs. Not quite sure why they were listed initially but I listed similar specs to show that the products were similar in that respect, but I agree, those specs don't show much.

Velvet AKM4490, warm R2R, bright Saber, sounds like all are descriptions of colored sound to me.

R2R-11 power
3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

m9XX power
Low Power Mode
4 80 mW
8 140 mW
16 310 mW
20 350 mW
32 600 mW
50 560 mW
300 83 mW
600 40 mW

High Power Mode
4 925 mW
8 1800 mW
16 1900 mW
20 1575 mW
32 1020 mW
50 680 mW
300 115 mW
600 57 mW

So I see where the Grace might excel with sensitive IEMs but spec wise lacks power in the high power mode if the listed specs are apples to apples. I've compared the Grace m9XX to the Emotiva A100 in low and high powered mode driving various planars and I've learned that more power spec wise isn't always better, meaning it doesn't sound better. Not sure why.

I see you've gathered some observations on the Grace and to you it looks like a glorified Fulla 2, interesting as that comparison is not common by any means, not that recall on the Grace thread or really any relevant comparison. The Grace is 500 USD and in the same pricing tier and touted to punch above is value most definitely in DAC quality with a less potent amp though I've not experienced any headphones that sound terrible on it or felt underpowered save maybe the HD650 which just needs lots of juice. Haven't thrown anything ridiculous at it like an HE6, but every amp has its limits.

In any regards, from your gathering of Grace observations and perception of it in terms of visual appearance to a Fulla 2, I didn't hear any real comparison in sound signature. Can anybody provide a comparison who has actually heard the two DAC/AMPs? I don't care to hear demeaning comments for a product that is definitely not at the tier you make it out to be but rather I'm looking to learn more about the R2R-11 and NFB-11.28 in comparison to something I'm familiar with and something I know is an outstanding product. Just learning and interested...

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #749 of 2,569
First off, I listed the specs because I was quoted with a listing of similar specs. Not quite sure why they were listed initially but I listed similar specs to show that the products were similar in that respect, but I agree, those specs don't show much.

Velvet AKM4490, warm R2R, bright Saber, sounds like all are descriptions of colored sound to me.

R2R-11 power
3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

m9XX power
Low Power Mode
4 80 mW
8 140 mW
16 310 mW
20 350 mW
32 600 mW
50 560 mW
300 83 mW
600 40 mW

High Power Mode
4 925 mW
8 1800 mW
16 1900 mW
20 1575 mW
32 1020 mW
50 680 mW
300 115 mW
600 57 mW

So I see where the Grace might excel with sensitive IEMs but spec wise lacks power in the high power mode if the listed specs are apples to apples. I've compared the Grace m9XX to the Emotiva A100 in low and high powered mode driving various planars and I've learned that more power spec wise isn't always better, meaning it doesn't sound better. Not sure why.

I see you've gathered some observations on the Grace and to you it looks like a glorified Fulla 2, interesting as that comparison is not common by any means, not that recall on the Grace thread or really any relevant comparison. The Grace is 500 USD and in the same pricing tier and touted to punch above is value most definitely in DAC quality with a less potent amp though I've not experienced any headphones that sound terrible on it or felt underpowered save maybe the HD650 which just needs lots of juice. Haven't thrown anything ridiculous at it like an HE6, but every amp has its limits.

In any regards, from your gathering of Grace observations and perception of it in terms of visual appearance to a Fulla 2, I didn't hear any real comparison in sound signature. Can anybody provide a comparison who has actually heard the two DAC/AMPs? I don't care to hear demeaning comments for a product that is definitely not at the tier you make it out to be but rather I'm looking to learn more about the R2R-11 and NFB-11.28 in comparison to something I'm familiar with and something I know is an outstanding product. Just learning and interested...
Very well thought out observations, I'm just here to fuel the flames of debate haha.

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #750 of 2,569

Users who are viewing this thread

Back