Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #706 of 2,569

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #707 of 2,569
R2R 11 or NFB-11 for AKG K712?

Just got the headphones yesterday and was running them off a FX-Audio X6 ($80) as a DAC and JDS O2 as an amp. It sounds pretty good to me but I am wondering how much more will they scale with the R2R 11 and also if the warmth of the R2R will take away some detail (some say no and that it adds even more!).

I've heard people say K712's go well with tube amps (which are much warmer than the R2R), so a warm SS would be good and not too warm? In any case both the R2R and NFB 11.28 are both said to tame the highs a little and also add more sounds stage and better dynamics. Will I be better off upgrading to say, an ODAC, to better my $80 DAC and keep the O2 (might be too bright on some songs and struggles to push the K712's in some low volume songs when in full power/ low gain) or go for the R2R 11?

I feel I'm not getting the most out of the phones, even though it already sounds really good.
Recommendations? Any experience with Audio gd and AKG's? or more specifically K712's?

PS. I don't care about the popping (is not even bad), the FX-Audio I have now goes pink noise when I change from 16bit to 24bit and have to unplug the USB and reconnect it. Most annoying thing ever, hurts my ears :triportsad:.
Theyre both excellent in their own way, maybe send the people at china (kingwa) an email an ask the main man himself? He seems to answer all emails. Good luck.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #708 of 2,569
R2R 11 or NFB-11 for AKG K712?

Just got the headphones yesterday and was running them off a FX-Audio X6 ($80) as a DAC and JDS O2 as an amp. It sounds pretty good to me but I am wondering how much more will they scale with the R2R 11 and also if the warmth of the R2R will take away some detail (some say no and that it adds even more!).

I've heard people say K712's go well with tube amps (which are much warmer than the R2R), so a warm SS would be good and not too warm? In any case both the R2R and NFB 11.28 are both said to tame the highs a little and also add more sounds stage and better dynamics. Will I be better off upgrading to say, an ODAC, to better my $80 DAC and keep the O2 (might be too bright on some songs and struggles to push the K712's in some low volume songs when in full power/ low gain) or go for the R2R 11?

I feel I'm not getting the most out of the phones, even though it already sounds really good.
Recommendations? Any experience with Audio gd and AKG's? or more specifically K712's?

PS. I don't care about the popping (is not even bad), the FX-Audio I have now goes pink noise when I change from 16bit to 24bit and have to unplug the USB and reconnect it. Most annoying thing ever, hurts my ears :triportsad:.
Hi.

I have the k701 and they pair well with the nfb-1amp. Even better wih an hybrid amp (old x-can) but with the r2r 11, you will get some warmth from the dac compared to my setup. And a huge dac upgrade from you current dac. The amp should be a good match because of how smooth the highs are.with audio-gd. And enough current to have proper bass control.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #709 of 2,569
Hi.

I have the k701 and they pair well with the nfb-1amp. Even better wih an hybrid amp (old x-can) but with the r2r 11, you will get some warmth from the dac compared to my setup. And a huge dac upgrade from you current dac. The amp should be a good match because of how smooth the highs are.with audio-gd. And enough current to have proper bass control.

Yes I think I will go for the R2R 11, only worry is future headphone upgrading, I will just stay away from dark headphones I guess. I think any of the 2 will be a big improvement because right now the bass is good but it's hiding in the back (goes so low though), I think my current DAC doesn't offer too much and O2 is bright. Can't imagine the difference it will make; so excited :L3000:.

But if you can recommend a similar quality hybrid amp for around the same price I'm all ears

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #711 of 2,569
You are lucky, snatching them now!

Audio-gd is now selling the R2R-11 for 330 USD and the NFB-11.28 for 299 USD!

/J

Where did you see that! I still see 350USD for the R2R-11 in their website :frowning2: and I forgot about PayPal fees, hopefully I don't get taxed by customs here in Australia, I've read that they usually don't tax stuff below $1000 but Kingwa should know cause I've seen people buying the R2R in Australia in the shipment tab.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #712 of 2,569
Where did you see that! I still see 350USD for the R2R-11 in their website :frowning2: and I forgot about PayPal fees, hopefully I don't get taxed by customs here in Australia, I've read that they usually don't tax stuff below $1000 but Kingwa should know cause I've seen people buying the R2R in Australia in the shipment tab.
They currently have a promotion on their front page, its like a line of text... but ask for a quote and he'll apply it.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #713 of 2,569
Yes I think I will go for the R2R 11, only worry is future headphone upgrading, I will just stay away from dark headphones I guess. I think any of the 2 will be a big improvement because right now the bass is good but it's hiding in the back (goes so low though), I think my current DAC doesn't offer too much and O2 is bright. Can't imagine the difference it will make; so excited :L3000:.

But if you can recommend a similar quality hybrid amp for around the same price I'm all ears
The musical fidelity x-can if you can get one used. But you will have to control the volume with the r2r 11, cause the x-can can't handle much over 2v signals. But it's a good thing anyway cause the r2r 11 volume control is better.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #714 of 2,569
The musical fidelity x-can if you can get one used. But you will have to control the volume with the r2r 11, cause the x-can can't handle much over 2v signals. But it's a good thing anyway cause the r2r 11 volume control is better.

No can do, Australia is impossible for that kind of variety, so much easier in the US but that R2R discount though. I think it was meant to be :heart_eyes: how did this happen!?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #715 of 2,569
No can do, Australia is impossible for that kind of variety, so much easier in the US but that R2R discount though. I think it was meant to be :heart_eyes: how did this happen!?
The r2r 11 should do a fine job as an amp. And as a dac, it's just awesome. Overall, it pairs splendidly with the Sony mdr-7506. It makes one heck of a budget setup, almost too good to be true.

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #716 of 2,569
The r2r 11 should do a fine job as an amp. And as a dac, it's just awesome. Overall, it pairs splendidly with the Sony mdr-7506. It makes one heck of a budget setup, almost too good to be true.

Yeah I'm ordering now since they will be on holidays from the 4th to the 22nd and I'm moving houses in between those dates, if it doesn't arrive before then it will be awkward, can always collect from the post office though, so nervous :L3000:! so the email for a quote is audio-gd@vip.163.com right?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #717 of 2,569
Yeah I'm ordering now since they will be on holidays from the 4th to the 22nd and I'm moving houses in between those dates, if it doesn't arrive before then it will be awkward, can always collect from the post office though, so nervous :L3000:! so the email for a quote is audio-gd@vip.163.com right?
That is the address i used, yes. Delivery takes a week or less in general using dhl, which i recommend.

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #718 of 2,569
That is the address i used, yes. Delivery takes a week or less in general using dhl, which i recommend.

Yes, email sent. Thanks for your help and replies. China is pretty close to Australia and I've seen people have had it shipped to NZ in 4 days! fingers crossed.

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #719 of 2,569
You are lucky, snatching them now!

Audio-gd is now selling the R2R-11 for 330 USD and the NFB-11.28 for 299 USD!

/J
With GBP gaining against USD and Audio GD reducing price on R2R 11, I am bit unlucky by ordering 2 weeks early. :frowning2: But I have been enjoying music like never before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back