Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #646 of 2,569
Im assuming you have the gain switch set to low?

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #648 of 2,569
I apologize if this is a stupid quistion. But I find that my NFB-11.28 is "too powerful" for my headphones. At normal listening volumes I have the volume knob between about 0% and 20% turned. And when the volume is very low the sounds becomes unbalanced between left and right ear. Is there any way to "dial down" some of the amping so that I could more easily adjust the volume in the range I use?
What headphone you are using?

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #651 of 2,569
@paldepind :

-What source are You using, feeding the 11.28? The level seems too high...

/Jan

Agreed...that doesnt make much sense.
Are you running your system computer USB>11.28>660s ?
Do you have another computer/source you can hook it up to to see if youre running into the same issue?

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #652 of 2,569
@paldepind :

-What source are You using, feeding the 11.28? The level seems too high...

/Jan

Agreed...that doesnt make much sense.
Are you running your system computer USB>11.28>660s ?
Do you have another computer/source you can hook it up to to see if youre running into the same issue?

Thanks for answering :smiley: I'm running them through PC > USB > 11.28 > 660s. I've tried both from my Macbook and my Linux laptop with similair results. When the dial is at about 8 o'clock it's at a normal listening level for me (I do like to listen at low-volume though). At 9 o'clock they're what I'd consider quite loud. At 12 o'clock you can easily hear the music without having them on your head and I wouldn't dare putting them on my head.This gives me very little leeway for adjusting the volume inside my comfort zone.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #653 of 2,569
When the dial is at about 8 o'clock it's at a normal listening level for me (I do like to listen at low-volume though). At 9 o'clock they're what I'd consider quite loud. At 12 o'clock you can easily hear the music without having them on your head and I wouldn't dare putting them on my head.This gives me very little leeway for adjusting the volume inside my comfort zone.

Between 9 and midnight on the dial is what I get too,so thats normal.

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #655 of 2,569
Hey guys,
I just got my NFB-11.28 with TCXO today. I have to say I'm a very disappointed.
I'm used to work in studio every day with my HD600 plugged to my RME Fireface UCX.
When comparing, the Fireface UCX is way more detailed, more punchy on kicks and basses, more refined. Better in every point. The audio-gd is really blinded in comparison. Both tested with the HD600.
I thought that a 350 USD dedicated system to my headphones will be at least on par with my pro audio interface, but it's not.
Am I crazy ? I really feel the NFB-11.28 flat and fuzzy whatever the kind of music I'm listening. It's more comparable to my motherboard integrated Realtek ALC898 than my pro interface.

( I also tried a Schiit Modi 1 + Magni 2U and Modi 1 + Vali 1, found them bad too)

EDIT: I didn't know it requires about 100h burning. Will retry later.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #657 of 2,569
I apologize if this is a stupid quistion. But I find that my NFB-11.28 is "too powerful" for my headphones. At normal listening volumes I have the volume knob between about 0% and 20% turned. And when the volume is very low the sounds becomes unbalanced between left and right ear. Is there any way to "dial down" some of the amping so that I could more easily adjust the volume in the range I use?
That's crazy, what headphones do you have that this amp is too powerful? Sorry don't know how to turn the amp down.

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #658 of 2,569
Your comparing a $1600 dollar interface to a couple of different products that cost less than 400... honestly, you probably have more than just that interface in the chain driving your headphones.

In the $1600 interface, you pay for an incredible amount of features. Most of the price come from the two industry top of the line standard microphone preamps, 8 balanced analog inputs and 8 balanced outputs, and a crazy good DSP that supports high quality EQ, compressor on more than 80 channels in the same time in real time, with less than 1ms latency.
I was hoping that a 400$ interface dedicated to headphones will do just one thing, but very well.

EDIT: I didn't know it requires about 100h burning. Will retry later.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #659 of 2,569
@novolog:

-You are doing Your testing far too soon.. Be patent. Let the 11.28 be playing music on listening level 24/7 for at least two or three weeks before You you test and finally judge it. The 11.28 will blossom.

/Jan

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #660 of 2,569
Hey guys,
I just got my NFB-11.28 with TCXO today. I have to say I'm a very disappointed.
I'm used to work in studio every day with my HD600 plugged to my RME Fireface UCX.
When comparing, the Fireface UCX is way more detailed, more punchy on kicks and basses, more refined. Better in every point. The audio-gd is really blinded in comparison. Both tested with the HD600.
I thought that a 350 USD dedicated system to my headphones will be at least on par with my pro audio interface, but it's not.
Am I crazy ? I really feel the NFB-11.28 flat and fuzzy whatever the kind of music I'm listening. It's more comparable to my motherboard integrated Realtek ALC898 than my pro interface.

( I also tried a Schiit Modi 1 + Magni 2U and Modi 1 + Vali 1, found them bad too)
just got them.. no surprise, I didn't like the 11.28 either till after 3 weeks of CONSTANT use, first 2 weeks power left on, 3rd week 8 to 10 hours a day. Same with Senheisers..they have to BURN IN before they OPEN uP. Give it time dude. Then report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back