Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #2,386 of 2,569
I don't notice any clicks on DSD. I won't declare there are none, but I checked several times after reading this thread and didn't hear anything offensive IIRC.
There are clicks, sometimes when changing PCM sample rate, more frequent when starting DSD playback. On a proorly mastered DSD ISO images there are also clicks between tracks. Small clicks, not a problem to me, but after a long complains from users in R2R-11 thread and also R28 thread, I made a summary from my side in the R2R-11 thread, giving some examples of DSD tracks that also suffer from a strange noise that comes up a second (not immediately) after intensive music suddenly turns to a quiet part. This bug had been fixed in the R2R-11 2019 version. A website states of increased noise separation, but this noise is not static, on most parts of a quiet music is not present at all, only in few specific places and you must turn a volume a lot to hear anything.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #2,387 of 2,569
There are clicks, sometimes when changing PCM sample rate, more frequent when starting DSD playback. On a proorly mastered DSD ISO images there are also clicks between tracks. Small clicks, not a problem to me, but after a long complains from users in R2R-11 thread and also R28 thread, I made a summary from my side in the R2R-11 thread, giving some examples of DSD tracks that also suffer from a strange noise that comes up a second (not immediately) after intensive music suddenly turns to a quiet part. This bug had been fixed in the R2R-11 2019 version. A website states of increased noise separation, but this noise is not static, on most parts of a quiet music is not present at all, only in few specific places and you must turn a volume a lot to hear anything.
I know about your earlier posts, thank you they have been super.

I do have the latest version so what I meant to answer is that no, I don't hear pops on DSD. I don't do transitions from PCM to DSD often though, I usually play an SACD rip all the way through. Have not noticed anything between tracks.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,388 of 2,569
Hi Lads/Guys. I am not sure it is a right thread, but R2R-11 thread is in the amp section and this matter is about interfacing and Amanero module.

To cut it short, skip this paragraph. I have an old laptop with Core 2 Duo CPU, Windows 7 for playing music, as it gives the best SQ. It was already partially damaged, LCD screen with vertical strips (not repairable), so I use external VGA monitor. Recently during a power outage (which are common in democratic South Africa protecting common criminals and copper cable theft), power supply was blown. After replacing power brick I found damaged number of items, a laptop screen lost a backlit, USB hard drive and USB port on the hub R2R-11 had been attached not working anymore. Luckily a DAC survived, but I started to experience ID problems and cutting off playback. It was the same on the other computer with Windows 10, so I suspected the worse, but it happened the same external monitor giving a strong AC leak, monitor is also damaged, a DAC is not!!!

For the above reason I started to investigate USB interface and discovered that my Amanero module is not using isochronous but bulk USB transfers -- the same as storage devices (memory sticks and hard drives). See attached two screenshots of a performance monitor. This Windows built-in application is partially functioning (some counters not loaded or not working), so I downloaded a trial version of USBlyzer that confirms this fact, see the last screenshot.

Amanero driver is initiating playback using #2 endpoint, which is a bulk transfer, not the endpoint #5 which is advertised in device properties for isochronous asynchronous transfers. It is the same when starting WASAPI event/push, ASIO and DS (system mixer) playback. There is also the same on Windows 10 PC. I updated to the latest driver v1.0.67, it changes transfer buffer size from 32kB to 8kB, no other changes. Firmware on the Amanero module is already updated .

My R2R-11 is an older version (pre-2019), it is interesting to compare other versions, also other Audio GD DACs. Maybe my Amanero module is damaged, so I need your feedback. @ProLoL, is it answer to your question?

Using a tool is simple, but requires prior installation and OS restart:
1. Attach a DAC. Start and stop playback to wake-up hard drives.
2. Start USBlyzer.
3. In device tree window tick a box next to the Amaneno device (highlighting is not enough).
4. Click "Start capture" icon.
5. Start playback.
6. Wait few seconds and stop capturing.

Attachments

• bulk.jpg
    bulk.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • isochronous.jpg
    isochronous.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • wasapi_event.jpg
    wasapi_event.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,389 of 2,569
Hi sajunky,

Audio GD R1 (2021) 1.0.67 drivers Win 10

URB Bulk or Interrupt Transfer succeeded
Device Object USBPDO-2
Driver Object USBHUB3

URB Function URB_FUNCTION_BULK_OR_INTERRUPT_TRANSFER
URB Status USBD_STATUS_SUCCESS

Endpoint 02h 2 Out, Bulk

Bytes Transferred 4000h (16384)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,390 of 2,569
Audio-GD NFB-11.38 (2021) 1.0.67 drivers on Windows 10 Enterprise x64 20H2

Bulk.JPG

I'm happy with the sound from the NFB-11.38
What I'm not so happy with is that the music playback stops at least once every time I use the Audio-GD with a "device lockup" error and then need to restart.
Never had this problem with my Xmos based DAC I had connected to the same system.

I'm all ears if anyone knows a solution.
Starts to get annoying. Thinking about connecting it using optical to see if that makes it more stable but then I would need to active and install the realtec onboard crap :frowning2:
Maybe I'll just toss the whole thing (a shame as i do like everything else about it) and go back to an Xmos based DAC...

Mar 29, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,391 of 2,569
Thanks guys, it was quick. For me it is a confirmation that my Amanero module do not work in somehow a 'backup' mode, but it is normal.
I'm happy with the sound from the NFB-11.38
What I'm not so happy with is that the music playback stops at least once every time I use the Audio-GD with a "device lockup" error and then need to restart.
Never had this problem with my Xmos based DAC I had connected to the same system.
This was exactly the same till I was removing defective monitor from my system. Stopping a playback due to a serious error. It was both with this laptop and also Windows 10 PC. Before I delegated this monitor to the other job I found a solution, it might help:

Find a piece of a multistrand wire (a typical gauge as in the AC power cord). Hook it up to the enclosure of the PC on one side and to the DAC enclosure on the other side. You can use a screw on a case for attaching a wire. My laptop do not have any external ground point, I had to cut an old unused USB cable and attach it to the USB 0V wire (usually black, but it has to be verified). Now it needs to plug it to a laptop USB port and there is no stopping playback anymore!

Explanation:
Amanero module use 1MOhm resistor (with 1nF in parallel) from a cable shield to the 0V ground supplying a module (from a DAC PSU). In my opinion a value of the resistor is to high, but I didn't want to modify a module. A cable shield is also receiving a permanent connection to the DAC's enclosure by a mounting pins. This is on the DAC's USB side.

On the DAC's PSU side there is implemented a clever method of dealing with ground loops, called a "virtual ground". It consists a small 10Ohm resistor between power outlet ground pin to the enclosure, in parallel with two diods clamping a possible AC overvoltage to a maximum 0.7V-1V. Problem is that this method is not sufficient to deal with a large AC leaks. It is why my cable ground connection is helping.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #2,392 of 2,569
Thanks guys, it was quick. For me it is a confirmation that my Amanero module do not work in somehow a 'backup' mode, but it is normal.

This was exactly the same till I was removing defective monitor from my system. Stopping a playback due to a serious error. It was both with this laptop and also Windows 10 PC. Before I delegated this monitor to the other job I found a solution, it might help:

Find a piece of a multistrand wire (a typical gauge as in the AC power cord). Hook it up to the enclosure of the PC on one side and to the DAC enclosure on the other side. You can use a screw on a case for attaching a wire. My laptop do not have any external ground point, I had to cut an old unused USB cable and attach it to the USB 0V wire (usually black, but it has to be verified). Now it needs to plug it to a laptop USB port and there is no stopping playback anymore!

Explanation:
Amanero module use 1MOhm resistor (with 1nF in parallel) from a cable shield to the 0V ground supplying a module (from a DAC PSU). In my opinion a value of the resistor is to high, but I didn't want to modify a module. A cable shield is also receiving a permanent connection to the DAC's enclosure by a mounting pins. This is on the DAC's USB side.

On the DAC's PSU side there is implemented a clever method of dealing with ground loops, called a "virtual ground". It consists a small 10Ohm resistor between power outlet ground pin to the enclosure, in parallel with two diods clamping a possible AC overvoltage to a maximum 0.7V-1V. Problem is that this method is not sufficient to deal with a large AC leaks. It is why my cable ground connection is helping.
Interesting.
I will try the external grounding option. Computer case has screws and the Audio-GD unit has screws to in the housing so it's easy enough to connect a wire between them.
My computer is not connected to a grounded outlet though. My house is build in a time that grounded outlets were only installed in "wet" rooms like the kitchen.
But I'll see what it does..

I will most likely completely ditch the Audio-GD and go back to an XMOS based DAC if this little wire trick doesn't help. Can't get myself to go back and instal realtek stuff again to get onboard optical out which audio is still processed by the motherboard so prolly won't be very good to begin with.

Would be something if you could just plop in a XMOS USB to I2S converter into the Audio-GD instead of the wonky Amanero one. :wink:

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #2,393 of 2,569
Seems like there's something more going on with the Amanero USB implementation of the Audio-GD R2R11, prolly will also be the same with the NFB-11.38..

When I was running my dashboard, I noticed every once in a while the waveform would get distorted and THD would shoot up. I checked and all of my Windows/ASIO buffers were set to large values to avoid buffer underruns but the problem remained. Wanted to confirm it, I ran a continuous measurement, watching THD+N as time went by and got this:
Audio-gd R2R11 DAC and Headphone Amp THD glithces Measurements.png

As you see, like clockwork, every 25 seconds or so we get a spike in distortion, confirming the problem I saw. There is a clear implementation error here.

To avoid having this impact the measurements, from here on I tested with S/PDIF input which did NOT exhibit this problem.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #2,394 of 2,569
Seems like there's something more going on with the Amanero USB implementation of the Audio-GD R2R11, prolly will also be the same with the NFB-11.38..
I was always surprised and nerved by the fact that when Amanero was connected, an icon appeared in the system tray, like when a USB flash drive or external drive was connected. Now there is an explanation for this. The same behavior was with DI-20 which collects dust now, since 2021 changes in R1 USB, made it is not necessary.

I have a XMOS based Singxer SU-2 which is bulletproof - for example, I can use it as default Windows sound device and play music via Foobar with ASIO. I even play games like Skyrim and listen to music from Foobar in background.
But it is not possible with Amanero - Foobar complaining about locked device.
I can try it with my Audio-GD via I2S, the only thing that prevents me is the lack of space, and doubtful aesthetics. And I do not think that it will somehow improve the sound. Because R1(2021) sounds very well for me.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2,395 of 2,569
I don't understand your comments. I have the R2R-11 (latest version, 2019) which has Amanero and yet I can play SACD rips from Foobar via ASIO to the Audio-gd.

I did have one problem after I first set up the gear but I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and never had an issue again.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,396 of 2,569
I don't understand your comments. I have the R2R-11 (latest version, 2019) which has Amanero and yet I can play SACD rips from Foobar via ASIO to the Audio-gd.
If Amanero is set as Windows default output device, I can play music through it. But not with Foobar via ASIO - it gives the error "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not start ASIO playback".
I have to switch Windows output device to another endpoint (NVIDIA High Definition Audio in my case), and mandatory restart Foobar. Only after that it plays music.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,397 of 2,569
If Amanero is set as Windows default output device, I can play music through it. But not with Foobar via ASIO - it gives the error "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not start ASIO playback".
I have to switch Windows output device to another endpoint (NVIDIA High Definition Audio in my case), and mandatory restart Foobar. Only after that it plays music.
I don't have this issue. In addition to Tidal, I have Deezer which uses the default Windows device. I can definitely play from Tidal, Deezer, or Foobar without changing any settings, everything goes to the R2R-11.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,398 of 2,569
I don't have this issue. In addition to Tidal, I have Deezer which uses the default Windows device. I can definitely play from Tidal, Deezer, or Foobar without changing any settings, everything goes to the R2R-11.
That's strange. As I said, it was the same with DI-20. Could you please check, which output device is set in your Foobar?
I use "DSD : ASIO Combo384 ASIO 1.03".

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,399 of 2,569
I was always surprised and nerved by the fact that when Amanero was connected, an icon appeared in the system tray, like when a USB flash drive or external drive was connected.
Now that you mention it.. I noticed the same.
Personally I find it kinda weird that the Amanero interface shows up as a removable device, XMOS interface never did.
Don't see the purpose why the Amanero interface should be "removable".

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,400 of 2,569
I am giving you a solution and you bring to us such crap? Amir had completely malfunctioning setup, maybe you should read my comment on that, posted not so long ago. Do you want your DAC working properly? I will stop responding if you continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back