Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Nov 3, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #226 of 2,569
Well, they may measure better in terms of THD%, Crosstalk and S/N ratios which would in theory translate as "measurably better". Whether that actually sounds better is an entirely different issue I think. To use a car analogy, you may have a car that has great specs on paper (lots of horsepower, good acceleration, solid fuel consumption) but it may still handle like crap (or less than the sum of its parts would suggest). On the other hand you might have a less stellar car by specs that performs admirably. It's not so much about the sum of its parts but how they work together and in both of these aspects the R2R11 holds together nicely IMO.

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #227 of 2,569
Well, they may measure better in terms of THD%, Crosstalk and S/N ratios which would in theory translate as "measurably better". Whether that actually sounds better is an entirely different issue I think. To use a car analogy, you may have a car that has great specs on paper (lots of horsepower, good acceleration, solid fuel consumption) but it may still handle like crap (or less than the sum of its parts would suggest). On the other hand you might have a less stellar car by specs that performs admirably. It's not so much about the sum of its parts but how they work together and in both of these aspects the R2R11 holds together nicely IMO.
Instead of using a car analogy, I've always liken the SQ of audio equipment with food. Better nutritional values not always equates to better tasting food. Using natural, organic and more expensive ingredients also doesn't equates to better taste either. Its the recipe and the hand who made it that matters most. Also both audio equipment and food are highly subjective, they differ heavily with individuals. To me, superior measurements means zilch if it sounds like crap.

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #228 of 2,569
I'd argue that none of them sound as refined or have the same amount of power available. If you feel they offer the same level of performance, more power to you!

completely blind dismissal because you prefer your brand here. Just another characteristic of head fi.
If I just decide that Audio-GD is overhyped and therefore all the prior brands sound better, does that make me correct or did I just pull that statement out of thin air? I think it would be the latter. So please do not comment on other devices without listening to them.

Well exactly, but details are overall lower on NOS DAC's and this is basically universally accepted amongst designers.
It has a oldschool stereo kind of sound from before when technology was inferior. So not only does it not measure as well, it also has less detail but it has a sound that some people "like" mostly because its what many people grew up with.

Handling is one characteristic I can understand, but even in that case only the worst performing v8 vehicles are beaten by 4cyl vehicles around a track.
There is a rare gem here and there but considering that cars are my other hobby, typically larger engines dominate racing which is why there are classes based on engine size, turbo size, etc.

Modern day delta sigma flagship DAC's are very good at resolving detail due to complex multi-pass filters that can reconstruct the waveforms in entirety without loss of detail. Its because of the immense speed of processing available today.

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #230 of 2,569
okay so let's talk about R2R 11, well he has a signature more hot side than neutral, so how does he behave with equally hot headphones ?
What do you mean? The R2R11 is definitely on the warmer, smoother side so it should work very well with brighter headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #231 of 2,569
What do you mean? The R2R11 is definitely on the warmer, smoother side so it should work very well with brighter headphones.
+1

I dont find it quite as warm as Mojo,but not "hot"

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #232 of 2,569
Maybe the google translator has translated wrong, but from what I'm told the hot term refers to bass and mids more premonuated, if I'm wrong then I'll be clearer, as the R2R 11 behaves with headphones with more presence of bass, those made for bassheads ?

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #233 of 2,569
Maybe the google translator has translated wrong, but from what I'm told the hot term refers to bass and mids more premonuated, if I'm wrong then I'll be clearer, as the R2R 11 behaves with headphones with more presence of bass, those made for bassheads ?
Ah, yes. Seems like Google translated it incorrectly! I have one pair of basshead category headphones and I think they work very well with the R2R11. They are a bit tighter and faster sounding compared to something like the Chord Mojo.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #235 of 2,569
Tight bass= non boomy,loose bass...

Sorry best I could do.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #236 of 2,569
What does tight bass mean ? I see people using this term but I do not know what it means.
Well extended and controlled, good punch and impact but not muddy.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #237 of 2,569
Ask me another question, the R2R 11 has a signature that is hotter than neutral, but how hot would you say it's that signature, very hot ? Or maybe just a touch of heat to soften neutral headphones ? How much does this amplifier change the signature of a headphone ?

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #238 of 2,569
Ask me another question, the R2R 11 has a signature that is hotter than neutral, but how hot would you say it's that signature, very hot ? Or maybe just a touch of heat to soften neutral headphones ? How much does this amplifier change the signature of a headphone ?
Just a touch. It doesn't change the signature of the headphone much, if at all IMO. It makes lower treble a bit more pleasing in general owing to its R2R nature (DS designs tend to have some degree of hardness in that area)

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #239 of 2,569
I have been in communication with a few members on here but would like to post this question / recommendation within this thread. Any and all feed back is appreciated.

I am brand new to head fi but not new to hi res audio. I have been building comp stage front in autos for years ( 20 years ). I bought an amp ( Schiit Mjolnir 2 ) and looking for a dac to run along side it. I was thinking of either the R2R 11 or NFB 11.28. I understand that it's a dac amp combo, but I would use it as a stand alone dac while home and then have the option to take it to work or travel with it since it's smaller and will be more mobile.

The question is R2R 11 or NFB 11.28? I am leaning more towards the R2R build, but have been told since I am new to head fi I would want to stick with the NFB 11.28, but I do have some history of hi res audio... Just not a speaker strapped to my head. Lol. Is there anyone that has the Schiit Mjolnir 2 that can give some advice on with using the Audio GD dac's?

Thanks in advance
Eric

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #240 of 2,569
I have been in communication with a few members on here but would like to post this question / recommendation within this thread. Any and all feed back is appreciated.

I am brand new to head fi but not new to hi res audio. I have been building comp stage front in autos for years ( 20 years ). I bought an amp ( Schiit Mjolnir 2 ) and looking for a dac to run along side it. I was thinking of either the R2R 11 or NFB 11.28. I understand that it's a dac amp combo, but I would use it as a stand alone dac while home and then have the option to take it to work or travel with it since it's smaller and will be more mobile.

The question is R2R 11 or NFB 11.28? I am leaning more towards the R2R build, but have been told since I am new to head fi I would want to stick with the NFB 11.28, but I do have some history of hi res audio... Just not a speaker strapped to my head. Lol. Is there anyone that has the Schiit Mjolnir 2 that can give some advice on with using the Audio GD dac's?

Thanks in advance
Eric
ESS will have more detail (11.28), the R2R-11 is made for people who like oldschool stereo sound over high level detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back