Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Nov 1, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #196 of 2,569
Hahah same here. The reason i haven't contacted Kingwa to buy the R2R.11 is that pop/clicks.. And it's kinda confusing from different users (Not sure if some are just trolls). I would really like to hear other users about the pop/clicks between songs.. I watched Zeos review on Youtube and the clicks are annoying. I'm a bit anxious with that FLAW..

Also, anyone can confirm that this pop/click ONLY occurs when changing sample rates? I'm a guy that listen to full albums only. I don't make playlists etc.. I drag/drop files to my Media Center whichever i like to listen. I don't do shuffle or anything. My settings on my Jriver all 48oooHZ. I only have a few 24/96 flacs mostly 16/44.. So can anyone confirm if i won't be hearing that annoying pops that much when i listen to an album (Same sample rates etc)

Thanks guys!!!

I also believe that Audio-GD is better than Schiit, so much so that I prefer to buy R2R 11 instead of Schiit Jotunheim, but this damn pop ... ARGH! This is what keeps me from pulling the trigger, some say that pop is loud, others say it is low, others say that the coaxial and optical inputs do not have pop, others say they have doubts, doubts and more doubts.

So when he comes you tell him what you think of him here.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #197 of 2,569
The only thing that is making me tense is this annoying pop, the only thing that can stop me from buying the R2R 11, when I find the perfect amplifier that meets my needs ... I think that is ridiculous, at least I hope that sound quality compensates for this frustration.
I don't know why the pop is bothering you, considering you haven't even bought it yet. I just took my R2R-11, plugged it in to my smartphone, played a couple songs with it using Spotify and there was no popping happened. I then use UAPP with bit-perfect mode on, the pops are there but were so subtle it didn't bother me in the slightest. I don't use bit-perfect anyways, I just use PowerAmp for my flac collection as I don't hear a single difference in sound quality between them. But I can tell you this, after more than 300 hrs burn-in time with the R2R-11, m previous statement still holds; using a M1060, my Chord Mojo is still a better sounding DAC/amp than R2R-11, in every genre I listen to (EDM, pop, alt rock, ballad, acoustics, lo-fi).

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #198 of 2,569
I don't know why the pop is bothering you, considering you haven't even bought it yet. I just took my R2R-11, plugged it in to my smartphone, played a couple songs with it using Spotify and there was no popping happened. I then use UAPP with bit-perfect mode on, the pops are there but were so subtle it didn't bother me in the slightest. I don't use bit-perfect anyways, I just use PowerAmp for my flac collection as I don't hear a single difference in sound quality between them. But I can tell you this, after more than 300 hrs burn-in time with the R2R-11, m previous statement still holds; using a M1060, my Chord Mojo is still a better sounding DAC/amp than R2R-11, in every genre I listen to (EDM, pop, alt rock, ballad, acoustics, lo-fi).

Mojo will be better because of over sampling if anything. Also their dac is also multibit but it's fpga.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #199 of 2,569
I have found there to be no pop when switching between tracks of the same sample rate.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #200 of 2,569
That is, via coaxial...

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #201 of 2,569
Mojo will be better because of over sampling if anything. Also their dac is also multibit but it's fpga.

The r2r 11 also uses an fpga. 3 of them actually. One in each da-8, one for managing the inputs.

To answer one element of your replies, i never said Kingwa made no profit. He can buy parts for half the retail value, so of course he makes money. But he could make a lot more if he paid for fancy cases and got this popping issue fixed. Not sure it is his main goal. It's not everyone's goal, not mine anyway and i think it's a good thing.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #202 of 2,569
The r2r 11 also uses an fpga. 3 of them actually. One in each da-8, one for managing the inputs.

To answer one element of your replies, i never said Kingwa made no profit. He can buy parts for half the retail value, so of course he makes money. But he could make a lot more if he paid for fancy cases and got this popping issue fixed. Not sure it is his main goal. It's not everyone's goal, not mine anyway and i think it's a good thing.
There is no FPGA in R2R-11, they are CPLDs. There is a big difference between a CPLD and a FPGA, especially its raw performance. Its like comparing a mobile processor and a workstation processor.

Nov 2, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #203 of 2,569
Chord Mojo is not multibit-based, there are no resistor ladder discreet components inside it at all. I once read that Mojo is based on pulse width modulation, all the logic of the DAC and its amplifier are computed directly from its Artix 7 FPGA. I might be wrong but that's about it.

Nov 2, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #204 of 2,569
....And how is the subject of this thread respected now and a few pages back? FredA is doing his best to keep on track but it seems to be very hard.

I see trolls.... Moderators should act to save this thread and to keep the climate healthy in this forum.

Sorry/Jan

Nov 2, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #205 of 2,569
There is no FPGA in R2R-11, they are CPLDs. There is a big difference between a CPLD and a FPGA, especially its raw performance. Its like comparing a mobile processor and a workstation processor.
It does make any difference as far as the application is concerned IMO. So i didn't make the distinction. It does not change the fact that the r2r 11 uses a r2r ladder that is corrected using a processor and in which all resistors are switched in parallel. This is fancy. It combines old school ideas with new ones. I think it's often a good approach. :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #206 of 2,569
In fact I do not have it, but I saw the Zeos video and it shows this defect and I found it very annoying, all my songs have the same sample rate, 44100 Hz, but do the different bitrates also cause the pops?

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #207 of 2,569
In fact I do not have it, but I saw the Zeos video and it shows this defect and I found it very annoying, all my songs have the same sample rate, 44100 Hz, but do the different bitrates also cause the pops?

One should not confuse the bitrate, which is related to the compression level, to the audio format sent to the dac. Pretty much all 44kz files use 16 bit words. Whatever the compression level, it is still the same as far as the r2r 11 is concerned.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #208 of 2,569
One should not confuse the bitrate, which is related to the compression level, to the audio format sent to the dac. Pretty much all 44kz files use 16 bit words. Whatever the compression level, it is still the same as far as the r2r 11 is concerned.
I know that sampling rate and bitrates are different things, I just want to know if different bitrates can cause pops, otherwise then I will not have problems with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back