Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Dec 29, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #2,237 of 2,569
I've sold it and shipped it today, would be nice if I could sell these as bundle.

Just to be clear, the U16 via other inputs such as coax or toslink sounded good but not great cause the signal goes through the R2R11's spdif receiver chip and it eventually determines the sound so no matter what transporter you got, U16 or the newest AGD transporter, the change will be subtle.
To take full effect of your transporter, you got to connect it to your dac via I2S to bypass the receiver chip and pass the signal straight to the dac.

That's why I asked Kingwa to make this custom made version for me and the results are significant.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2,238 of 2,569
I was considering it for the I2S input but think there is a better DIY alternative I could do.
I seen there is DIY DA-8 R2R modules for around $100 (the one used in R2R11) available from AGD now and these take an I2S input, any I2S source could be used but it would need soldered together, add a power supply, enclosure etc..... I might be biting more than I can chew attempting this project but at worst it will be $100 wasted, at best it will be really fun learning experience with custom, low cost R2R11 DAC board to show for it

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #2,240 of 2,569
The module itself is the DAC implementation in a way. You connect power, I2S goes in and the audio signal comes out (or at least I pray it will).
Unless you have a headphone amp with very little gain there is no need for any extra analogue stages after the modules, and this preferable for minimum distortion and the simplest signal path.
Power will really be the main determining factor of sound quality, For this I plan to use LiFePo4 battery cells which beat any linear regulators I have used as DAC power supply hands down , even the ultra low noise LT3045 regulator.

I doubt very much it will sound like the DAC output on standard R2R11, I hope it will be a lot better sounding.
What is worrying/surprising is sheer lack of any information/experiences on these modules outside of the audioGD page

Dec 30, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,241 of 2,569
How do I convert the USB input to I2S? Is there a kit (as there is for some other Audio-gd DACs)?

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,243 of 2,569
Sorry, I meant how do I modify the USB input to accept an I2S signal...

Is there a kit available to remove the Amanero input, as there is, say, for the NFB-1?

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #2,245 of 2,569
Thanks.

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #2,246 of 2,569
Hey guys

I recently bought a pair of active speaker as well as a pangea ac 14se mk2 power cable. The difference is night and day. A very noticeable improvement.

So apparently the cable has iec plug version as well (the one use with nfb 11.38???) And the website says the cable is design for source component. I have been thinking of grabbing it for my nfb11.38.

Anyone here try chaning the power cable? If so what is your experience? What improvement does it gives?

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,247 of 2,569
Hey guys

I recently bought a pair of active speaker as well as a pangea ac 14se mk2 power cable. The difference is night and day. A very noticeable improvement.

So apparently the cable has iec plug version as well (the one use with nfb 11.38???) And the website says the cable is design for source component. I have been thinking of grabbing it for my nfb11.38.

Anyone here try chaning the power cable? If so what is your experience? What improvement does it gives?
Yup, low inductance power cables improve digital components.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-nfb-11-28-vs-r2r-11.858093/page-147#post-15016457

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,249 of 2,569
Hey guys

Hi - are you using the Pangea ac 14se mk2 power cable with 220V mains power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back