Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Aug 30, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,831 of 2,569
A few of us had an interesting private conversation, where we had located the problem and evaluated with different chains and source music. Unfortunately not only DSD256, but DSD64 and DSD128 encoded files are affected by this problem as well. If you want to know the details, I can invite you, to this conversation.
Add me to the private conversation, please. I'd love to learn more about my R2R-11

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,833 of 2,569
I have similaf issues when playing DSD with my R2R7, mainly pops with changing tracks of different albums/tracks manually and also no level noise usually at beginning of the track with DSD256.
I’m surprised to hear you’re having DSD noise issues with the R2R-7. I know there’s a firmware fix for the popping noises (and that the older R2R-7 units had this issue) but I was under the impression the R2R-7 (and the R2R-1/2/28) didn’t have any of the R2R-11 DSD noise issues. My R-28 DSD playback is clean, even in NOS mode, while my R2R-11 was a mess with many DSDs.

Have you upgraded to the latest R2R-7 firmware? I strongly suggest you do, but if you already have then maybe your unit has an issue.

PS. Should probably move this discussion to the AGD R2R-7 or R2R dac threads to stay on topic, unless you want to specifically discuss the R2R-11 DSD issues.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,834 of 2,569
I’m surprised to hear you’re having DSD noise issues with the R2R-7. I know there’s a firmware fix for the popping noises (and that the older R2R-7 units had this issue) but I was under the impression the R2R-7 (and the R2R-1/2/28) didn’t have any of the R2R-11 DSD noise issues. My R-28 DSD playback is clean, even in NOS mode, while my R2R-11 was a mess with many DSDs.

Have you upgraded to the latest R2R-7 firmware? I strongly suggest you do, but if you already have then maybe your unit has an issue.

PS. Should probably move this discussion to the AGD R2R-7 or R2R dac threads to stay on topic, unless you want to specifically discuss the R2R-11 DSD issues.
I already did discuss this at R2R7. I bought the R2R7 with latrst 2018 firmware - smooth FW, it does not even affecr DSD anyway, I was told.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,836 of 2,569
Ok, sorry to hear that. Will check the R2R-7 thread and reply there.
Now you use Macmini, audirvana, I am using macbook air 2011, so my computer only has 4G RAM, it could be that I have not enough RAM but I don't think that can explain the Pops which swtching DSD files, no issue with PCM. I will upgrade to Macbook Pro quad core 16 G RAM soon so will see how that goes. DO you use I2S or USB for DSD?

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,838 of 2,569
Now you use Macmini, audirvana, I am using macbook air 2011, so my computer only has 4G RAM, it could be that I have not enough RAM but I don't think that can explain the Pops which swtching DSD files, no issue with PCM. I will upgrade to Macbook Pro quad core 16 G RAM soon so will see how that goes. DO you use I2S or USB for DSD?
Replied to this on the R2R-7 thread as it doesn't have anything to do with the R2R-11.

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,840 of 2,569
Can anyone tell me the sound difference between audio gd r2r11 and chord mojo
I have both and can hear the difference between them when they're used as DACs for another amp. They are both warm and musical (is that a term? ... I mean they're not flat and analytical) and I feel the Mojo has less treble but is slightly more resolving.

I can't say one is better than the other, they're both very good and you can't go wrong with either one - it depends on your usage: if you need portability and have easy to drive phones or primarily use IEMs I'd recommend the Mojo and if you need more power I'd recommend the R2R 11 (there isn't a lot of travel on the R2R's volume pot if you have easy to drive phones).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,841 of 2,569
I have both and can hear the difference between them when they're used as DACs for another amp. They are both warm and musical (is that a term? ... I mean they're not flat and analytical) and I feel the Mojo has less treble but is slightly more resolving.

I can't say one is better than the other, they're both very good and you can't go wrong with either one - it depends on your usage: if you need portability and have easy to drive phones or primarily use IEMs I'd recommend the Mojo and if you need more power I'd recommend the R2R 11 (there isn't a lot of travel on the R2R's volume pot if you have easy to drive phones).
Also, if you read from the R2R thread, there has been issues with playing DSD, noisy back-ground noise etc. Is Chord mojo also R2R ?

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,842 of 2,569
Also, if you read from the R2R thread, there has been issues with playing DSD, noisy back-ground noise etc. Is Chord mojo also R2R ?
I concur, if you regularly listen to DSD the R2R-11, good as it is, is unfortunately not a good choice. Knocks the socks off the Mojo in terms of power though, and for PCM is an outstanding dac.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,843 of 2,569
Can anyone tell me the sound difference between audio gd r2r11 and chord mojo

It's been awhile since I really listened to a Mojo, but I personally prefer the R2R-11's sound signature to that of Chord's portable gizmo. Strictly speaking in terms of sound characteristics, the Mojo probably specs better than the R2R-11, so it's quieter and has slightly better detail retrieval. But the 11 has a more musical, analog sound. Tuning-wise, the Mojo is flatter, extends into the bottom and top a bit better. The 11 has more bass and less treble than the Mojo, so the profile sounds warmer. The Mojo is more analytical and dynamic sounding, whereas the R2R-11 is smoother and more analog. I don't recall the Mojo having a wide soundstage, so maybe the 11 wins on that. Separation is excellent though, maybe better than 11. Honestly, the accuracy you get from a ladder DAC's multi-bit conversion is unlike anything else in the realm of digital audio. That I've heard.

Of course, as others have said, the optimal use cases for each of these designs is totally different.

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,844 of 2,569
Hi - DSD playback is excellent, as long as the files you're playing don't have any low-level noise during playback. This affects most of my DSD files that have sections with low or no sound, like classical music and soft acoustic music. The worst so far is Amber Rubarth's Sessions from the 17th Ward SACD, which is unplayable on this dac. That said, if DSD is not a factor for you, or if you're happy to convert DSD to PCM (most software does this on the fly), then the R2R-11 is just about the best amp/dac combo I've heard under $1000.

The D77 is a fully balanced Sabre dac that costs 3x the price of the R2R-11. It will give you a totally different sound profile. I haven't heard it myself but Sabre days generally don't have any issues with DSD playback. Even the Audio-Gd NFB-11 (same price as R2R-11) will give you perfect noise-free DSD playback. It's only the R2R-11, as far as I know. that has the DSD issue, which is why I no longer play native DSD with it.

Hi, I have the exact same album (Amber Rubarth's Sessions) in DSD, and I can't hear any noise on my R2R-11 + HD 6XX. I use Audirvana Plus, with "Native DSD Capability" set on "Automatic Detection".
What part of what track do you have issues with? I'm keen to check more carefully.
Thanks

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,845 of 2,569
Hi, I have the exact same album (Amber Rubarth's Sessions) in DSD, and I can't hear any noise on my R2R-11 + HD 6XX. I use Audirvana Plus, with "Native DSD Capability" set on "Automatic Detection".
What part of what track do you have issues with? I'm keen to check more carefully.
Thanks
I am unable to do the native DSD capability! I also use audirvana but it is not able to detect DSd on my r2r7. atctually all becomes PCM on audirvanna, so when u use autodetect it stays as DSD? u use USB into the R2R?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back