Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Aug 6, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,801 of 2,569
Try lowering it to a lower bitrate? I had static when I pushed optical all the way to 192khz. Disappeared when lowered to 96khz.
I have gone to sound configuration, clicked on properties and turned the predetermined setting to 32 bit 96khz. Also there's a bracket that is named something like speed of sampling (velocidad de muestra in spanish) that asks por compatibility with the digital receiver (r2r11 I asume) and I have ticked all the options (that go from 44khz to 192 khz)

Install the Amanero driver, it is rather mandatory on PC.
After having installed it the popping issue has been diminished quite a bit, now it isn't quite as frequent but still is there and it's annoying, do you have any idea how else I could solve this? I really can't spend any more on a schiit eitr or something like that...

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,802 of 2,569
I have gone to sound configuration, clicked on properties and turned the predetermined setting to 32 bit 96khz. Also there's a bracket that is named something like speed of sampling (velocidad de muestra in spanish) that asks por compatibility with the digital receiver (r2r11 I asume) and I have ticked all the options (that go from 44khz to 192 khz)

After having installed it the popping issue has been diminished quite a bit, now it isn't quite as frequent but still is there and it's annoying, do you have any idea how else I could solve this? I really can't spend any more on a schiit eitr or something like that...
Try a different usb port, one at the back of the pc. Or try other usb cables, Or try using Foobar and adjust the output buffer length. Make sure no process is grabbing most of the CPU or usb bandwidth. I am on Windows 10, formerly on Window 7, no issue, whatever the software i use. My music is on the internal disk, so usb is not much sollicited. My guess is the usb port you use is noisy ou you have an issue with you pc or os, Foobar allows obtaining exlusive access to the device, which is a good idea to maximize sound quality.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,803 of 2,569
Try a different usb port, one at the back of the pc. Or try other usb cables, Or try using Foobar and adjust the output buffer length. Make sure no process is grabbing most of the CPU or usb bandwidth. I am on Windows 10, formerly on Window 7, no issue, whatever the software i use. My music is on the internal disk, so usb is not much sollicited. My guess is the usb port you use is noisy ou you have an issue with you pc or os, Foobar allows obtaining exlusive access to the device, which is a good idea to maximize sound quality.
How do you adjust the buffer length? Task manager shows CPU working at 10% or lower so I'd asume that's not the matter. I have disconnected all usb from my external HDD where I store my music, and it also happens with youtube tracks. I have tried all 3 usb ports on my laptop (don't have any other computer to try), 2 of them are 3.0 and one is 2.0. It happens in both low and high gain and I have tried putting my laptop's volume at 50% and let the r2r 11 do the work but popping occurs anyway.

Today I'll head to the nearest shop to buy some cheap usb cable, I'm not willing to spend 20-50€ in some audioquest usb cable...

If it still happens with a different usb cable then what? Try a different power cable? Asume I got a defective product?

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,804 of 2,569
How do you adjust the buffer length? Task manager shows CPU working at 10% or lower so I'd asume that's not the matter. I have disconnected all usb from my external HDD where I store my music, and it also happens with youtube tracks. I have tried all 3 usb ports on my laptop (don't have any other computer to try), 2 of them are 3.0 and one is 2.0. It happens in both low and high gain and I have tried putting my laptop's volume at 50% and let the r2r 11 do the work but popping occurs anyway.

Today I'll head to the nearest shop to buy some cheap usb cable, I'm not willing to spend 20-50€ in some audioquest usb cable...

If it still happens with a different usb cable then what? Try a different power cable? Asume I got a defective product?
I would try a different computer, a friend's or something. Install the amanero driver on the other computer first though. I would also want to make sure that nothing is polluting the AC line in a major way.

To adjust the buffer size, go to File->Prederences->Ouput. There is a slider there called "buffer length". I set it to approx 1s.

If you still have the problem with a different computer, my guess is your unit has a defect. I doubt it however, especially if the popping noise is on both sides. Try also the optical input if you can.

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,806 of 2,569
Today I received my second Coax 75 Ohm RCA with Solid Copper Center (18 Awg to be exact :) ) cables ,just want to see if this will make a dent
Instead of getting some expensive interconnects I decide to try 2x coax 75 omh for my R2R DAC pre -out and I'm stoked just wow....long story short if you need some cheap interconnect I would recommend this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Quad-S...var=570891560795&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Cheers

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #1,807 of 2,569
Has anybody got experience using the R2R-11 as DAC and Darkvoice 336SE as the HP AMP?
I know that our little R2R's sound signature tends to be more "tubey-like", but I'm wondering whether this combo has any advantage/disadvantage over the built-in solid state amp if I use decent tubes in the 336SE.
All replies are well appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #1,808 of 2,569
Has anybody got experience using the R2R-11 as DAC and Darkvoice 336SE as the HP AMP?
I know that our little R2R's sound signature tends to be more "tubey-like", but I'm wondering whether this combo has any advantage/disadvantage over the build-in solid state amp if I use decent tubes in the 336SE.

I use the R2R-11 as DAC/preamp for my lil dot mkii when I listen to older tracks, and it sounds more pleasant to me than when I used my mimby as a DAC.

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #1,809 of 2,569
I know that our little R2R's sound signature tends to be more "tubey-like", but I'm wondering whether this combo has any advantage/disadvantage over the build-in solid state amp if I use decent tubes in the 336SE.
I ren in to ground loop when pairing with DV 336SE ,this OTL is very picky

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,813 of 2,569

16bit?

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,814 of 2,569
So I just got the NFB 11.28, and currently connected to my computer via USB which works fine.

I was just curious what sample rate settings I should set it as and 24 or 32 bit?

I currently just set it at max 32 bit and 384kHz but not sure if this is best or not?

I listen to a lot of FLAC music in foobar and use WASAPI. But also alot of low quality mp3, even some 128k music.

Also will youtube, game and movies too.
It's best, most Falc files top out at 24/192 but why not just go for best? Your good.

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,815 of 2,569
It's best, most Falc files top out at 24/192 but why not just go for best? Your good.
With some dac working with 32 bits native, less work/processing has to be done by the dac chip receiving 32 bits. Meanwhile, receiving 32 bits increases the data transfer throughput. So whatever sounds best is the answer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back