Audio-gd NFB-10
Aug 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,596 of 2,860
Quote:
Just a note that the volume does NOT represent power in any amp. It represents the overall gain of the amp. 
smile.gif

I assume that is for me.   I need to  understand it in terms of what i hear as the scientific terms are a little difficult for me to grasp.  I will be doing some more reading

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,597 of 2,860
I can't talk about the headphone amp section of NFB-10ES2 yet, since I have not yet plugged in. But the DAC section is detailed, I am using with KEF LS50. Definitely can hear the details.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #2,598 of 2,860
Comparing the headphone amp section of the NFB-10.2 I had before (same as the 10SE but with TE8802 instead for USB), to the 10ES2. Using the 4-pin XLR output.

The 10ES2 has more detail and clarity, not just the treble but also bass extends more.  Instantly you can tell there's better treble, but I wouldn't say the 10ES2 is brighter than the 10SE or 10.2, because the amount, weight on treble and bass is actually similar.  It's just that the treble quality improvement is obvious.

This is probably the effect of ES9018, USB32 and TCXO x2 (I didn't have for the NFB-10.2), all of these three coming together at once, so I can't say which part has how much effect.  All I can say is that, these three together certainly brings obvious improvements in clarity.  The airy feeling is great.

Quote:
 I'm trying to decide on the NFB-10ES2 for my KH120 monitors if anyone can give some input.

Is this DAC clean enough or HQ enough? I was original going for the NFB-2.32 as it is just a DAC & probably better over the 10.

I dont know if the 10ES would be up to the job of driving HD800's?

It will certainly drive HD800 with enough power, but it's probably not the best synergy you can get.  The 10ES2 is neutral.  I would say darker or bassy headphones will do better out of the headphone amp section.

It depends on how well you want to drive your HD800.  Like the T1 I have, the recommended amps for the HD800 are ones like Bottle Head Crack or Woo for tube, and for solid state I recommend Violectric V181 (balanced) or V200 (single end) as they have a tubey sound.  After listening with the V181, the 10ES2 headphone amp sounds a bit "packed".  The details and extention is there but lacks in smoothness, although I would still say very good for a combo unit, sounds better than all the under $400 solid state amps I had.

The DAC outputs of the 10ES2 is very good, so one way you can go is that, get the 10ES2, try with HD800, if you like it then that's cool.  If you want a bit more bass or smoothness, you can get other amps, just connect from the 10ES2 outputs.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #2,600 of 2,860
It's not a bright amp. It's not a dark amp. I'd class it as "neutral". I had it running with Emotiva Airmotiv 4s and it was a good match. I tried with a pair of bright headphones (old MB Quart QP400s) and there wasn't any harshness in the treble. 

My review of the unit is up here, by the way:

Audio-gd NFB-10ES2 balanced desktop amp/DAC

I'll be adding a video to that in a few hours, once it uploads.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,604 of 2,860
great review Currawong. Agree that it is neutral. IMO, having a neutral DAC is key in audio.It's like getting a blank canvas sheet that you can paint anything you like on it, without baggage.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,605 of 2,860
Nice review Currawong and thanks for the video! Very helpful to see the unit in action as well.

Now do I pull on the trigger to purchase or not...? Hmmm, this is the difficulty of dealing with Audio-GDs products, too much choice! There is the option to go with the Wolfson version, else is the stretch to the NFB-28 worthwhile? Or go all the way and get the NFB-1.32 DAC with the NFB-6... I guess in terms of value for the money the 10ES2 is king though and I actually want a unit to simplify my desktop rig with a single DAC/AMP so the 10ES2 definitely fits the bill nicely. I just hope its an upgrade over the Emotiva mini-X and PS Audio NuWave DAC.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2,606 of 2,860
Quote:
The video is up too, finally.

Good video. I'm glad Kingwa adjusted the buttons for volume control. Before it was like 1 second per step, and it became quite irritating. I still wish he'd go back to having actual knobs though :-/

Looks like the precision 1 might be an indicator of that. 

Also, as you mentioned, the various inputs, digital volume control, and remote make this a killer unit. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #2,607 of 2,860
Some back ground on me, I don't listen to a lot of 24bit audio. I prefer 16bit due to a lack of Hard Drive Space atm. And I currently use my oDac and Matrix M Stage as my main combo. While I enjoy the warmth a tube adds to neutral headphones [such as the Akg K550] I find i like the details and improved imagining of a Solid State.  That being said I'm stuck at the roads of getting a Hybrid Tube to pair with my w1000x and Akg K550, or selling my Matrix M Stage, my oDac and getting an Audio GD 10.32

In addition I'm currently and very aggressivly pursuing a Balanced single 4pin XLR recabled Dt 880 atm, and hopefully I can get it. But if I don't... well I will at another point in time. 

But I'm curious 

additionally would the 10.32 be a good option to drive low and high impedance cans? Such as a 600 ohm Balanced beyer, and a 32 ohm non balanced w1000x 

Lastly how does the Pre Amp section of the amp sound? I do like the "warm yet lean" sound of the Matrix M Stage with an LME 49990, as well as the over all nuetrality of the oDac 

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #2,608 of 2,860
Quote:
Some back ground on me, I don't listen to a lot of 24bit audio. I prefer 16bit due to a lack of Hard Drive Space atm. And I currently use my oDac and Matrix M Stage as my main combo. While I enjoy the warmth a tube adds to neutral headphones [such as the Akg K550] I find i like the details and improved imagining of a Solid State.  That being said I'm stuck at the roads of getting a Hybrid Tube to pair with my w1000x and Akg K550, or selling my Matrix M Stage, my oDac and getting an Audio GD 10.32

In addition I'm currently and very aggressivly pursuing a Balanced single 4pin XLR recabled Dt 880 atm, and hopefully I can get it. But if I don't... well I will at another point in time. 

But I'm curious 

additionally would the 10.32 be a good option to drive low and high impedance cans? Such as a 600 ohm Balanced beyer, and a 32 ohm non balanced w1000x 

Lastly how does the Pre Amp section of the amp sound? I do like the "warm yet lean" sound of the Matrix M Stage with an LME 49990, as well as the over all nuetrality of the oDac 

NFB-10 drives everything well. It is dead neutral balanced, a little warmer SE.
For potentially warmer sound you may consider Audio gd SA-31SE, but also check Compass 2 and NFB-28.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,609 of 2,860
Quote:
NFB-10 drives everything well. It is dead neutral balanced, a little warmer SE.
For potentially warmer sound you may consider Audio gd SA-31SE, but also check Compass 2 and NFB-28.

A little warmer than the SE might be nice, Considering the price as well

it has gain options, yea it does 0 and 12 right. How is the amp combo as far as sound stage, 2D and 3D imaging and pure tansparency and detail retention. I mean I'm pretty sure the dac alone should beat the oDac

How are the drivers? I have an Envy HD audio deck atm on my pc. and it works nicely with the USB. oDac. Although my stock drivers are only 24bit depth. I don't have 32bith depth out on my drivers. Although I don listen to 24bit music even. Still sound wise, I'm sure it has just as much space and detail as the oDac would it not? 

And back to the drivers, would they overide my current audio drivers? I assume they would as I would delete the old and install the new. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #2,610 of 2,860
Quote:
A little warmer than the SE might be nice, Considering the price as well

it has gain options, yea it does 0 and 12 right. How is the amp combo as far as sound stage, 2D and 3D imaging and pure tansparency and detail retention. I mean I'm pretty sure the dac alone should beat the oDac

How are the drivers? I have an Envy HD audio deck atm on my pc. and it works nicely with the USB. oDac. Although my stock drivers are only 24bit depth. I don't have 32bith depth out on my drivers. Although I don listen to 24bit music even. Still sound wise, I'm sure it has just as much space and detail as the oDac would it not? 

And back to the drivers, would they overide my current audio drivers? I assume they would as I would delete the old and install the new. 

I have found the amp part very good (in fact competing well with Violectric V200).
I have not heard the odac. I suppose that the Audio gd Sabre versions are more detailed (and less warm) than the Wolfson ones, but it is better to get opinions from people having more experience with their Sabre dacs.
I cannot say whether you will have to delete your current drivers before installing the Audio gd ones on Win PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back