Audio-gd NFB-10
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #2,566 of 2,860
Oh... the horror stories of DMK-IV, I wasn't really aware of that
eek.gif

Well, putting that aside, I can still recommend the SMK-III as a DAC with confidence.  Using this from February with NO issues whatsoever.  The headphone amp section is just ok, average for a combo unit so I don't use it, but it's split with a switching relay like AGD gear and has no effect on the DAC output (which is just great).  I use just the DAC output everyday.  Right now as I type this too.

Hopefully this won't bring up any flame war for HLLY, this is just my opinion and personal recommendation for people on a tight budget.  I still love AGD gear too so I ordered the 10ES2, will post impressions when it arrives.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,567 of 2,860
Quote:
Oh... the horror stories of DMK-IV, I wasn't really aware of that
eek.gif

Well, putting that aside, I can still recommend the SMK-III as a DAC with confidence.  Using this from February with NO issues whatsoever.  The headphone amp section is just ok, average for a combo unit so I don't use it, but it's split with a switching relay like AGD gear and has no effect on the DAC output (which is just great).  I use just the DAC output everyday.  Right now as I type this too.

Hopefully this won't bring up any flame war for HLLY, this is just my opinion and personal recommendation for people on a tight budget.  I still love AGD gear too so I ordered the 10ES2, will post impressions when it arrives.

mmm thanks for the recommendations, dropped the seller for the SMK III a PM, see how it goes.

But just to be clear, i do not want a balanced dac just for the sake of having a balance dac, if you get what i mean..
overall better sound quality is still of utmost importance for me, irregardless of rca/balanced..

thats why was initially trying to get some comments on how the NFB10SE will fare against the NFB3.33, balanced vs usb32..
with budget around the higher of  the two, which is nfb 3.33 at around $430..

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2,568 of 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiselee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

mmm thanks for the recommendations, dropped the seller for the SMK III a PM, see how it goes.

But just to be clear, i do not want a balanced dac just for the sake of having a balance dac, if you get what i mean..
overall better sound quality is still of utmost importance for me, irregardless of rca/balanced..

thats why was initially trying to get some comments on how the NFB10SE will fare against the NFB3.33, balanced vs usb32..
with budget around the higher of the two, which is nfb 3.33 at around $430..

Yes I understand what you mean. There's no point really going to balanced if it doesn't sound much better than a certain single end setup in similar price range.

However the main thing here is that your speakers fortunately have XLR inputs.  If I had them I would immediately think about running it from a balanced DAC.. if those speakers don't "need" the XLR inputs to sound better, I'd say they won't be there to start with.

As I mentioned before, AGD gear tend to sound better via XLR on the same unit that also have RCA.  And then, when I compared the XLR outputs of the NFB-10.2 I had before and XLR of SMK-III, they were so close that I can't tell a difference.  You will need to hear it to believe me.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2,569 of 2,860
I don't know how easy it will be to update an original NFB-10SE (with the Tenor 7xxx series USB interface) to USB-32. It only involves soldering 6 wires - I updated my NFB-10WM and posted about it earlier in the thread (see pics). But the USB interface chip on the original NFB-10SE is right on the main PCB and the solder points are tinier due to the switch to automated surface mount device assembly. The other problem is finding a place to mount the USB-32 board (not sure if you can just cut off the capacitor that is in the way and whether there is enough room to adhere it directly over top of the original USB interface location on the NFB-10SE).

Original NFB-10SE ( 4 main USB solder points are at legs of bank of 4 horizontal resistors located just above the DIR receiver board in photo)

Kingwa will be able to tell you how feasible a USB-32 upgrade for an original NFB-10SE is.
Quote:
hmm
I'm not good with electronics, with the soldering and wirings, so i believe the USB32 DIY method is out for me, unless i manage to get someone to do it for me..
My soundcard have 1 x S/PDIF out (1 x Optical / Coaxial combo) as output though, am i able to make use of it for the lack of USB32 to attain better sound quality if i cant make the jump to USB32 immediately? Or this Optical route will still sound inferior to the USB32?

Another issue I have is that the current used NFB10SE set im looking at is on 120v , but my country uses 230v. So i will need some 230v-110v step down transformer, will this in turn impair the sound quality since it got to do with power,cleanliness etc?.. not too sure about the technical things.

The new NFB3.33 with the txco upgrade, paypal fees and shipping will come to a total of $430 usd, while the used NFB10SE will be around $340usd with shipping.

The additional cost i have to consider when getting the NFB10SE will be getting the step down transformer , XLR cables at $10/each, $20 for two of them.

hard to make a judgement call here on which will overall sound better at its total cost.
a USB32 NFB3.33 or a older tenor usb NFB10SE but with balanced cables setup

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,570 of 2,860
Crossposting this from the HE500 thread in case someone is looking for an impression of the new NFB 10ES2.I should mention that I really like the 80 step volume control in the new SE2. Lots of range for both my speakers and my headphones (HE500 plus super sensitive IE800 IEM) and there's no channel imbalance. Very nicely done. I'll have to get used to not having a volume dial for the first time.

-------------

Yesterday I hooked these up to my new Audio GD NFB 10ES2. That uses the ESS 9018 DAC chip with a new, apparently very low jitter, 32 bit capable USB implementation (which I am using in my hook up). 

plus it can pump out a ridiculous 6 watts into 50ohm when balanced (as my HE500 are)

Before this, I was using the Burson HA160D with a SE adapter for the HE500.

First of all, the difference is not "night and day" Not the way I define that term. it's a combination of small differences. I don't know which ones are more due to the DAC or due to the amp changes.

On the NFB 10ES2, the HE500 sounds a bit more open. Minor background instruments like tambourines or cowbells or other small percussion instruments sound a bit more separated from the mix and easier to pick out.

In addition, the sound is slightly less warm. On the Burson, there's a very slight hint of warmness to the lower mids and that appears to be pretty much gone on the NFB. Depending on how you prefer your music presentation, you would either describe it as "cleaner" or "thinner". I would call it cleaner, myself.

Low bass is slightly tighter and more impactful on the NFB. I actually expected a bigger difference than what I hear. It's small and not noticeable on every song or for every type of bass instrument. But with a few tracks that I have, I notice a bit less wobbliness in the subbass on the NFB. 

I should say that I don't notice any extra hardness or shrillness or sibilance with either setup. The NFB may sound leaner, but it's not "digital" sounding or adds any peakiness to the treble.

That's about all that I noticed after a couple hours of listening yesterday. Overall, the most obvious difference is the increased separation and reduction in a warm tilt. I could see why some people might prefer the Burson presentation, actually, but I like the little details in the backgrounds of songs to be a bit easier to pick out so I'm sticking with the NFB 10ES2.

(just realized I didn't compare the HE500 between the SE and balanced outs of the NFB. I should try that tonight.)

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,572 of 2,860
Just did a quick check between balanced and SE with the HE500 and couldn’t hear any differences once I volume matched. (on low gain, had to increase volume by 14 steps on the SE out to get a match). Tried out around 5 songs to check bass tightness, midrange glare, soundstage, separation, etc. My ears could not tell a difference between the two outputs.

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,573 of 2,860
Quote:
Just did a quick check between balanced and SE with the HE500 and couldn’t hear any differences once I volume matched. (on low gain, had to increase volume by 14 steps on the SE out to get a match). Tried out around 5 songs to check bass tightness, midrange glare, soundstage, separation, etc. My ears could not tell a difference between the two outputs.

With the NFB-10 (Wolfson dac), balanced is easily less warm and more resolving to my ears

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,574 of 2,860
Just saw one of the original NFB-10WM listed for sale on the FS section and I ended up checking the original specs on these units. It reminded how big of a value that unit was when it came out. Kingwa has continued to crank value out of this line. The second edition added more power, digital controls, digital DAC filters, better USB, and a REMOTE, all while lowering the price. Hats off to King-wa! 

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,575 of 2,860
Got the NFB-10ES2 this morning.  Now connected and set up for the PC.

It has the 2 TCXO upgrades.  Mainly just listening from it's balanced outputs to V181 and T1 for a few hours via USB.
So far I'm impressed.  The separation and accuracy is brilliant from top to bottom.  I suppose this is the goodness of ES9018, TCXO and USB32.

The headphone amp is great too.  Although I prefer the V181 with a bit more smoothness for the T1, the 10ES2 amp section actually comes pretty close.

Once again an excellent value for money unit by Audio-gd.  More listening tomorrow and next week.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,578 of 2,860
I got my 10ES2 this afternoon and facing a problem when connecting with my macmini through USB. I hear "clicks/ticks" when playing different kinds of music. I have asked Kingwa for advise and waiting for his reply. When connected to the optical out of my streamer (sm6), the sound is impressive.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,579 of 2,860
tedious1972: Are you using iTunes only for playback? Are you playing back only CD-quality files or high-res files?

I have a review 10ES2 in which, so far, I think is very good. I have been playing with a Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer with good results with the USB32. Once I can get everything stacked together, I'll compare it to the earlier NFB-10 and Anedio D2.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #2,580 of 2,860
Quote:
tedious1972: Are you using iTunes only for playback? Are you playing back only CD-quality files or high-res files?

I have a review 10ES2 in which, so far, I think is very good. I have been playing with a Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer with good results with the USB32. Once I can get everything stacked together, I'll compare it to the earlier NFB-10 and Anedio D2.

I'm interested in the Raspberry music player (sick of PCs for music these days...)!
Looking forward to reading your review 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back