Audio-gd NFB-10
Oct 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,476 of 2,860
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any danger to having both single-ended and balanced DAC outputs connected to two different amplifiers at the same time? Does the DAC even output single-ended and balanced at the same time? (I have an original NFB-10 with the Wolfson chip)

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2,478 of 2,860
Well, I don't plan to really use both amps at the same time. I'm just looking to hook up 2 amps to the DAC as easily as possible. Both my amps are single ended. So I'd be using XLR-RCA adapters for one of them. I'm a little worried about the high-is rate 5V output on the balanced though..

Thanks for the response.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #2,479 of 2,860
Depending on how they are wired, the xlr-rca cable can may only include half the signal so it would be the exact same output as the RCA outs, in fact it could be exact same thing as simple using a y-adapter on the SE output.  I recently got a xlr-rca cable and was surprised to find that it was the same signal as just using the SE to begin with.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2,480 of 2,860
A quick question..how does the nfp 10.2 compare to the shiit mjolnir or a darkvoice 337? Does it pair well with a he500?

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #2,481 of 2,860
anymore excitement on the nfb10.32........
popcorn.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2,482 of 2,860
Can Android phones with USB OTG drive the NFB 10.32 over USB? If you have a Samsung Galaxy S III or Note 2 you can test it.

A micro-USB-male to standard-USB-B-male cable does exist. http://www.lindy.fr/cable-usb-micro-a-b-05m/31950.html Though that one only ships to France. Can make our own, or maybe use a hub.

EDIT: OK forget France. Maybe this source http://www.lindy-usa.com/cables/usb/usb-otg-on-the-go-cables.html

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,483 of 2,860
So I finally took the plunge and got an NFB-10SE second hand. Haven't spent enough time with it, or had any peace and quiet tonight for critical listening... So far, it's fantastic though!

Anyway, now I'm trying to figure out if and how I can get the 10SE or my sound card to output digital and analogue at the same time so the GF and I can watch movies on headphones together. I still have other analogue amps and cans sitting around. (Since moving to an apartment, my speakers have not seen any use.) As of now, I'm using S/PDIF out from an Auzentech Prelude 7.1. Basically a soundblaster X-Fi.

I've already determined that there is no digital out from the 10SE while in headphone output mode. As far as I know, the DAC out is still set to variable. If I move the jumper to 'set line level,' any chance it will output at all times so another amp can be used? Or if anyone knows how to convince the sound card and/or windows to output both, that would be fine too!

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,485 of 2,860
Has anyone upgraded an old school NFB-10 (WM or ES - before the move to printed PCB) with the USB-32 USB board? I emailed Kingwa, and he said that they do have a kit and that installation is similar to upgrading to the Tenor TE8802 board. Basically, it involves removing 5 resistors, adding 1 new resistor, and making 10 wire-to-surface solder points.

Has anyone actually completed this process, either upgrading to the TE8802 or USB-32? If so, can you comment about mounting the USB board in the original NFB-10 chassis? Is it straightforward? Any difficulties, unexpected issues with the upgrade process? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2,486 of 2,860
Quote:
Has anyone upgraded an old school NFB-10 (WM or ES - before the move to printed PCB) with the USB-32 USB board? I emailed Kingwa, and he said that they do have a kit and that installation is similar to upgrading to the Tenor TE8802 board. Basically, it involves removing 5 resistors, adding 1 new resistor, and making 10 wire-to-surface solder points.

Has anyone actually completed this process, either upgrading to the TE8802 or USB-32? If so, can you comment about mounting the USB board in the original NFB-10 chassis? Is it straightforward? Any difficulties, unexpected issues with the upgrade process? 

+1

I would love to see & purchase an upgrade kit with a step-by-step instruction;

btw there's a guy that did just that to an NFB-7 (see this post), however he did not provide much details. Quoting:

This upgrade is recommended to semi-skilled people with some experience of working with electronics.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2,488 of 2,860
Quote:
+1

I would love to see & purchase an upgrade kit with a step-by-step instruction;

btw there's a guy that did just that to an NFB-7 (see this post), however he did not provide much details. Quoting:

This upgrade is recommended to semi-skilled people with some experience of working with electronics.

Apparently the NFB-10WM doesn't need the 5.1 ohm resistor. So it's just a case of clipping a few resistors and trimming and soldering 10 wires. Should be simple enough. The one thing that makes me hesitant is that Kingwa did not specify where the new USB board should/could be best mounted. The old Tenor TE7022 USB chip is on the same board as the DAC section. Furthermore, he said that you can't install struts to mount the USB-32 board.

Any recommendations where the best place to try and shoe horn the new USB-32 board into the NFB-10WM/ES?

Also, do I need to solder the USB +5V power wire? I've read that the USB-32 works best if not fed power from the PC, since the NFB-10 should be providing the required power anyway.

Edit: Just looked at the link for the USB-32 upgrade in the NFB-7. He seemed to have upgraded from the Tenor TE8802. Unlike the TE7022, the TE8802 has it's own daughterboard. For him, it was only a matter of switching boards. For me, I'll have to see if I can find a place to put the board where there wasn't one originally... hmm.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #2,489 of 2,860
Quote:
Does anyone know if the XLR and RCA dac/preamp output can be used at the same time? (the headphone out works that way)

I'd like to use my studio monitors (XLR) with a subwoofer (RCA).

You can use them at the same time. They are split from the same signal. Should be the same as using a Y adapter. I don't know if it will affect sound quality.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #2,490 of 2,860
Yes XLR and RCA out work at the same time.
It doesn't lower the volume for either outputs and doesn't affect sound quality.
Atleast that's what I experienced with the 10.2.

Headphone amp mode and DAC output don't work at the same time.  You choose with the front selector.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the XLR and RCA dac/preamp output can be used at the same time? (the headphone out works that way)

I'd like to use my studio monitors (XLR) with a subwoofer (RCA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back