Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-gd NFB-7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd NFB-7 - Page 9

post #121 of 148

I have an upgraded Shanling SCDT200. I opened its bottom metal closer and also the digital's. Each time I play it I always turn on a small electric fan gently from left side to the right so blows out the heat/ heat not accumulated. Electonic components can change its value if too hot. I got this idea from an amateur astronomer who used his digital CCD camera. When he used an electric fan to it (gently) he found the picture is less distorted/ less white dots (noise).


Edited by joeyahoo1 - 6/29/12 at 4:08pm
post #122 of 148

After some time using the Digital Interface-DSP w. Tenor 8802L feeding the NFB-7 (ver.1), Kingwa gave me an opportunity to upgrade the NFB-7 to a NFB-7.32.

 

The upgrade was in fact a new motherboard with two new inputs for I2S included. It is known that I2S and ES9018 isn't best friends but Kingwa has succeeded in finding and developing a working setup for USB input here. It is the new USB32-board with ultra low jitter wich seems to pair very well with the ES9018.

 

After exchanging the motherboards and backplates the work was pretty straight forward. I had a bad connection on a solder which caused some investigation with a rised level on acss on one channel. But after that "small adventure" was sorted everything is working as it should and now the NFB-7.32 is singing beautifully when burning in.

 

I ordered with TCXO's and I think that is my advice to others. TCXO's will propably repay You in the sound later.

 

The sound is stunning clear already but needs some time to mature more. I love the ES9018 sound because of its ability to produce crisp clear sound..And with USB32 fed in asynchronous mode with high resolution material it is fantastic already, but as said earlier it will be much better with aging by "adding more flesh to the bones"

 

This upgrade is recommended to semi-skilled people with some experience of working with electronics.

 

/Jan 


Edited by JaMo - 12/10/12 at 4:46am
post #123 of 148

Would you say the USB32 is an improvement over the DI with Tenor 8802?

 

I'm thinking about finally getting a new DAC. I was going to order the NFB-7.1 last year but I never got a reply back from Kingwa when my order would be ready after many weeks of delays so I decided to put that money into a new computer. I think I'll actually get it this time around.

 

I've essentially disappeared from head-fi for a year so I'm wondering if there are any other DACs in this price range that come close or out-perform this? It doesn't seem like much has changed except for maybe better USB implementation. Anyone can help me out with this?

post #124 of 148

The Metrum Octave + new USB-32 DI would be a strong contender.

The Anedio D2 seem to be getting rave reviews as well (it's an all-in-one DAC/Preamp/Head-Amp, more like the NFB-27)

The Burson Conductor got rave reviews on 6moons, too.

 

The list can go on and on...

 

I never listening to any of the above, nor did I listen to the recent NFB-7.32. It is based on the numerous reviews I could read here and there. I'm still on a class below (Metrum Quad, Reference 5.32)...

post #125 of 148

@ ohhgourami:

 

Upgrade? Tenor 8802L to USB32.

 

Propably. but I cannot answer on that yet. Burn in time has just started. In theory it should though, of two main reasons.

1 Ultra low jitter in USB32

2 I2S-direct into ES9018 without converting to SPDIF

 

/Jan


Edited by JaMo - 12/10/12 at 11:27pm
post #126 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

The Metrum Octave + new USB-32 DI would be a strong contender.

The Anedio D2 seem to be getting rave reviews as well (it's an all-in-one DAC/Preamp/Head-Amp, more like the NFB-27)

The Burson Conductor got rave reviews on 6moons, too.

 

The list can go on and on...

 

I never listening to any of the above, nor did I listen to the recent NFB-7.32. It is based on the numerous reviews I could read here and there. I'm still on a class below (Metrum Quad, Reference 5.32)...

I had considered the Metrum Octave last year as it had rave reviews (although limited). I read that after burn-in, the DAC started to sound a bit boring. It's also not fully balanced which I don't like. I plan to build a fully balanced Beta22 for my HE-6 down the line...

 

Having previously owned an NFB-10ES, I absolutely LOVED how fast and detailed the ES9018 sounded. I think I'm convinced to get this DAC unless something is better at this price range.

 

I LOVE neutral, detailed, and clear. I want a fully balanced, discrete DAC. I guess this fits the bill perfectly. I really want someone to convince me there are other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMo View Post

@ ohhgourami:

 

Upgrade? Tenor 8802L to USB32.

 

Propably. but I cannot answer on that yet. Burn in time has just started. In theory it should though of two main reasons.

1 Ultra low jitter in USB32

2 I2S-direct into ES9018 without conversing to SPDIF

 

/Jan

Please keep us updated! You are one of the very few who own this DAC!

post #127 of 148

Mine finally came in and I'm  loving this thing. All I can say the layer and separation is superb. The extension in both treble and bass is amazing too.

post #128 of 148
Oh yes!!
post #129 of 148

I couldn't resist and ordered one as well, probably quite a departure from the more mature and natural Reference 7.1.  I'm hoping mine will arrive in the next week and a half so I can take it to the local head-fi meet and introduce it to my fwns. biggrin.gif

post #130 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

I couldn't resist and ordered one as well, probably quite a departure from the more mature and natural Reference 7.1.  I'm hoping mine will arrive in the next week and a half so I can take it to the local head-fi meet and introduce it to my fwns. biggrin.gif


I had a feeling you would be tempted in the end wink_face.gif

 

Would be interested in your opinions as we both have the same amp. Especially regarding the bass that you have commented about in the past.

I also feel you might be surprised by how natural the NFB7 sounds.


Edited by nigeljames - 1/2/13 at 3:04am
post #131 of 148
Finally decided to place an order for the NFB7.32..took me a while to make up my mind!
post #132 of 148
Received it today!
Excellent package I have to say.
I've just installed the USB32 drivers, no problems at all, and the dac is already playing through JRiver and ASIO output.
post #133 of 148
Looking forward to your impressions
post #134 of 148
It's different. Different from what I was expecting: I was under the impression the NFB sounded a bit aggressive and overall bright.
It's not the case. Probably it's brighter than my old Ref.5, but I'd say it's pretty neutral and sweet. Actually the tonal balance is similar to the Neko D100 I'm using, but the presentation is a bit different, more focused on the NFB, laid back on the Neko.

The usb input is great, I've tested it quickly against the Hiface Evo + Battery supply, and the USB32 is superior: better instrument separation and overall cleaner.
In my experience it's the first dac that sounds at its best through the usb input and not through the BNC.

More to come...
post #135 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

It's different. Different from what I was expecting: I was under the impression the NFB sounded a bit aggressive and overall bright.
It's not the case. Probably it's brighter than my old Ref.5, but I'd say it's pretty neutral and sweet. Actually the tonal balance is similar to the Neko D100 I'm using, but the presentation is a bit different, more focused on the NFB, laid back on the Neko.

The usb input is great, I've tested it quickly against the Hiface Evo + Battery supply, and the USB32 is superior: better instrument separation and overall cleaner.
In my experience it's the first dac that sounds at its best through the usb input and not through the BNC.

More to come...

 

I think the point is it does sound more aggressive and brighter than the Ref series but compared to other DAC's its certainly not bright or overly aggressive. Considering the ref series, and some other DAC's using the PCM1704 chip, are often described as 'dark' that should be no surprise.

Did you read my review? I stated in that that I thought it souded very neutral and natural, I am glad you seem to agree. wink_face.gif

 

Looking forward to further thoughts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-gd NFB-7