Audio-gd NFB-10
Dec 7, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #1,936 of 2,860

Quote:
[...]

Good post!  

But the 10SE does have preamp functionality (albeit with only one input), or have I misunderstood the Audio GD webpage?   It can be hooked up to a power amp or active speakers.

Yep, one selectable output for preamp. I used this to isolate the 10SE's dac and output to the Lyr. I wish it had LINE and DAC output like the FUN to accommodate for active speakers. I was forced to use the Lyr's line out to my Audioengine A2 (an overly long chain for these basic speakers).

For Kingwa to build upon the 10SE I'd request the following -

1. selectable fixed DAC and variable LINE output like the FUN (to separately connect an external amp and active speakers)
  2. analogue input to isolate the amp section (for connecting an external dac)
  3. async usb
  4. at least 2 optical inputs
  5. 4x apodising filters
  6. if possible 3 selectable gain settings at -7dB, 0dB and 12dB
  7. dimensions where the unit is wider rather than deep
  8. better quality casework
  9. remote

Price it accordingly and you have a mid-tier giant killer. Make it happen Kingwa!
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,937 of 2,860

Quote:

Yep, one selectable output for preamp. I used this to isolate the 10SE's dac and output to the Lyr. I wish it had LINE and DAC output like the FUN to accommodate for active speakers. I was forced to use the Lyr's line out to my Audioengine A2 (an overly long chain for these basic speakers).

One output for preamp is exactly what the 160D has.  For connecting to both a headamp and active speakers, you could just use Y- adapters.  This is what I do with my 160D and it works fine:

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #1,938 of 2,860

Quote:

Good post!  

But the 10SE does have preamp functionality (albeit with only one input), or have I misunderstood the Audio GD webpage?   It can be hooked up to a power amp or active speakers.

oops it seems you are right :

Fixed output: 5V RMS (balance)

Fixed output: 2.5V RMS (RCA)

I was confused in terms of technical terms as the 160D accepts analogue input so it can be used as preamp for another DAC (this I what I meant to say
confused_face(1).gif
)

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #1,939 of 2,860

Quote:
oops it seems you are right :

I was confused in terms of technical terms as the 160D accepts analogue input so it can be used as preamp for another DAC (this I what I meant to say
confused_face(1).gif
)

Indeed, it has three analogue inputs and pretty fine they are too, at least with a FM tuner.  But I digress.

The 10 SE, I believe, can be used with the volume control out of circuit (fixed output) or in circuit (variable).  I think?

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #1,940 of 2,860
"You are practically compressing your SB Touch digital signal to 50% before it enters your 10SE. By doing this you lose bit-perfect output and limit the dynamics."

Being a newbie, what should I do to avoid this? Max out the SB volume with lower on the SE... or lower on the SB and higher on the SE?

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,942 of 2,860

Quote:

1. selectable fixed DAC and variable LINE output like the FUN (to separately connect an external amp and active speakers)
  3. async usb
  5. 4x apodising filters
  9. remote

Price it accordingly and you have a mid-tier giant killer. Make it happen Kingwa!
wink.gif

I'd like to add an option to bypass the DAC so that it can be used as a stand alone amp. I didn't think it was necessary before, but now that I have a turntable and I'm using different sources. Being able to use it as amp only would be nice.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,943 of 2,860

Quote:

3. async usb
  5. 4x apodising filters
  9. remote

wink.gif

I think an Amp/DAC that have all that features wont come cheap. more like 2times or more from the NFB-10SE and thus wont be a mid tier.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,944 of 2,860

Quote:
[...]

I think an Amp/DAC that have all that features wont come cheap. more like 2times or more from the NFB-10SE and thus wont be a mid tier.

In terms of features and specs the 10SE certainly raises the bar, but it is clearly targeted for the entry level and is priced accordingly. I would gladly pay 2 or 3 times the current cost of the 10SE if the features I listed were incorporated. By my scale that would edge it towards the "mid-tier" and probably still be good value for money.

Quote:
[...]

I'd like to add an option to bypass the DAC so that it can be used as a stand alone amp. I didn't think it was necessary before, but now that I have a turntable and I'm using different sources. Being able to use it as amp only would be nice.

Analogue rca input (my second point) should allow that.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #1,945 of 2,860

3. async usb
  5. 4x apodising filters
  9. remote

wink.gif

to be honest, i dont see a need for any of those in the list apart from maybe better usb implementation if your using ur 10se with a laptop. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #1,946 of 2,860
Guys,

I don't understand what is the meanings of the Filter, 1 to 9 even after i read through the Audio-GD's explanation.

I tried on them and it seem the same of the sound quality.

Anyone can make it clear for me?

Thanks!

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #1,947 of 2,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPrwtos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

to be honest, i dont see a need for any of those in the list apart from maybe better usb implementation if your using ur 10se with a laptop. 

The 10SE can continue to cater for the entry level. If Kingwa is to design a mid-tier component it needs to have those features imo.

Quote:
Guys,

I don't understand what is the meanings of the Filter, 1 to 9 even after i read through the Audio-GD's explanation.

I tried on them and it seem the same of the sound quality.

Anyone can make it clear for me?

Thanks!

The filters are not EQ. The differences are incredibly subtle. You may want to read this thread for more info.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #1,948 of 2,860

Quote:
Quote:
[...]

Good post!  

3. async usb
  5. 4x apodising filters
  9. remote

wink.gif

Originally with the Compass, which I'd hoped would be a good alternative to a maxed-out Tiyuan Zero, is that everyone's suggestions, more or less, got put in and the price blew out. Not to mention the heavy case made shipping costs considerably greater. So I'm sure Kingwa could do everything, for a lot extra for the few people who might use one or other of these features but unnecessarily for the vast majority that this is likely targeted at: People who want something good value and good-sounding that they can just plug in.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #1,949 of 2,860
Just now listening to 24 bits songs... via using filter #6 through LCD2r2.. wow... the sound quality.. It really blows my mind off... sweet though. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,950 of 2,860

I just compared the sound of the NFB-10SE using its USB input vs. using coax from the MHDT USBridge (which is async with twin oscillators). I listened to 44.1KHz as well as 96KHz music.

I used ATH-W3000ANV headphones which are extremely detailed.

Differences, if any, are very subtle. I managed to convince myself that the USBridge is very slightly better, but it may be purely psychological. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back