Audio-gd NFB-10
Dec 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,951 of 2,860

Quote:

I just compared the sound of the NFB-10SE using its USB input vs. using coax from the MHDT USBridge (which is async with twin oscillators). I listened to 44.1KHz as well as 96KHz music.

I used ATH-W3000ANV headphones which are extremely detailed.

Differences, if any, are very subtle. I managed to convince myself that the USBridge is very slightly better, but it may be purely psychological. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

Sounds like you are having a better result than Sid-Fi, earlier in the thread (post below).  Maybe the SE has better implementation than the 10WM ?   (would seem unlikely though)

I went with the Audiophilleo2 and it really improved things for me with NFB-10WM. I think I was hearing a lot of the usb issues such as jitter, dirty usb power, etc., and was clearly not hearing the NFB10s potential using its stock USB (which is still pretty good for a stock implementation). The Audiophilleo2 doesn't have a separate power supply but has galvanic isolation and power filtering mechanisms built-in. To me it has been a very nice upgrade, but the DI is very respected as well. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,953 of 2,860

Quote:
If your question refers to the preamp out, then I'd also like to know the answer as well.

This was my response from KingWa:

Quote:
In theory, any amps connect both balance and single headphone end or connect two different characteristic headphone from the same output at same time will degrade the sound level.
In fact the NFB10 had enough drive so maybe can't hear the degrade in some users.
Kingwa

I couldn't tell a difference when I had both connected. I wasn't using it as preamp though, just had it connected to both a WA22 and a speaker amp.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #1,954 of 2,860
I have configured some adjustment setting to 24bits 96khz studio quality inside the volume icon. I felt that the sound quality is better through the nfb10se. (Default setting was 16bits 44.1khz)

Or I sense wrongly?

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,955 of 2,860
How are people getting bit perfect audio to the NFB-10SE under Windows XP using USB?

I found it doesn't support Kernel Streaming and even ASIO4ALL doesn't bypass the Volume slider in Windows which means it's not bypassing kmixer (kmangler).  Under Windows 7 it works fine bit perfect with WASPI.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #1,956 of 2,860

Quote:
How are people getting bit perfect audio to the NFB-10SE under Windows XP using USB?

I found it doesn't support Kernel Streaming and even ASIO4ALL doesn't bypass the Volume slider in Windows which means it's not bypassing kmixer (kmangler).  Under Windows 7 it works fine bit perfect with WASPI.

lol why are u using xp (i know this is an annoying comment for u, but its more annoying for me!)

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,959 of 2,860
Quote:
lol why are u using xp (i know this is an annoying comment for u, but its more annoying for me!)

Because it works just fine on many of my PCs.  I didn't have to run out and buy the latest new shiny thing when Windows 7 doesn't do anything XP can't for pretty much all I use them for.

Why would you replace the OS on a PC that works just fine for no reason?

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,960 of 2,860
You can make it look any way you want and 80% of PC users probably don't need or care about DX10 or 11. And again it runs 10x better than Vista or 7 on a Netbook or anything with 2gb or less of RAM.

Quote:
na, i hate it, it looks to old and dated and hasnt got direct x 11 not even 10

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #1,962 of 2,860

Quote:
This was my response from KingWa:

I couldn't tell a difference when I had both connected. I wasn't using it as preamp though, just had it connected to both a WA22 and a speaker amp.

Yeah, I suppose from his answer, it's just a case of try it and see.   It might change the output impedance.  At least I think it does slightly if you use a y adapter on rca outs.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,963 of 2,860
I did finally get around to connecting the NFB-10SE to my Airmotiv 4's (active speakers) and I like the result. As with headphones, it's more forward than if I use my main rig, but I like the result. I'm thinking of setting it up with a pair of Airmotiv 6's in my livingroom in the future.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #1,964 of 2,860

Quote:
I did finally get around to connecting the NFB-10SE to my Airmotiv 4's (active speakers) and I like the result. As with headphones, it's more forward than if I use my main rig, but I like the result. I'm thinking of setting it up with a pair of Airmotiv 6's in my livingroom in the future.

Did you use RCA or XLR output and do you have much volume range?

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,965 of 2,860

Quote:
Quote:

Did you use RCA or XLR output and do you have much volume range?

I have the volume on the Airmotiv 4's at 40% which is about right for me to use a similar volume range as I do with headphones. I have the original gain settings which work out well when going between, say, classical and pop, as the difference between H and L is about the amount I need to change the volume to accommodate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back