Audio-gd NFB-10
Dec 6, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #1,921 of 2,860
I'll give the WM8805 another shot. It was sounding good just as I got my DIR9001. At first it was very mushy-sounding though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,922 of 2,860

Quote:
Well you could get the 10SE and an Audiophilleo2 for the same price as the Burson- overkill but you get my point.

True, but then the selling point of the Audio GD is diminished (in that it is a cheaper than the Burson)  

Quote:
Kingwa has struck on a winner here - I don't think I would miss the saber NFB-10 when I have the SE on hand.  I think there are even some aspects of the tonality I prefer on the SE versus the ES.  Overall however I feel the ES images better and has more microdetail (of course) but this comes at the expense of being more revealing of recording artifacts and a slight reduction in body.  I definitely wouldn't put $400 between them though.

For the money this is also overall better than the Burson which I find overly warm in the bass which muffles the mids.  This plus a $400 transport would walk all over a Burson even more.

Have you compared direct usb between the Burson and NFB10, drez?

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,923 of 2,860

Quote:
Quote:
Well you could get the 10SE and an Audiophilleo2 for the same price as the Burson- overkill but you get my point.

True, but then the selling point of the Audio GD is diminished (in that it is a cheaper than the Burson)  

[...]

So Burson have released a balanced dac/amp combo for <$1200? Cool, I'm in the market. Got a link?
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,924 of 2,860

Quote:

So Burson have released a balanced dac/amp combo for <$1200? Cool, I'm in the market. Got a link?
wink.gif

Nope, no links .  The point was I was trying to make was that that the Audio GD was not quite as good value once a converter is factored into the equation- that's all.  We are allowed to be critical on this thread, aren't we Olor1n? 

To be frank, I'm searching desperately for reasons 'not' to buy the 10SE because I'd rather not spend money right now 
tongue.gif
, but it is tempting.

BTW, has anyone tried hooking the 10SE up to active monitors and how did if fare?

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,925 of 2,860

Quote:
BTW, has anyone tried hooking the 10SE up to active monitors and how did if fare?

Over Black Friday weekend, I got a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors to use as my computer speakers. I figured I'd take advantage of the balanced preamp of the 10SE, and have a convenient volume control right under my monitor (my computer monitor is sitting atop the 10SE). Works great, although I don't have experience with active monitors to compare to as I'm really upgrading my computer speakers from a set of 6-year-old Logitech 5.1 system. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,926 of 2,860

Quote:

Over Black Friday weekend, I got a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors to use as my computer speakers. I figured I'd take advantage of the balanced preamp of the 10SE, and have a convenient volume control right under my monitor (my computer monitor is sitting atop the 10SE). Works great, although I don't have experience with active monitors to compare to as I'm really upgrading my computer speakers from a set of 6-year-old Logitech 5.1 system. 

Thanks.  Yep, I have both RCA and XLR input on my JBL's, so could conceivably choose either output option from the 10SE.  Do you have much range on the volume control?

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #1,927 of 2,860

Quote:
Thanks.  Yep, I have both RCA and XLR input on my JBL's, so could conceivably choose either output option from the 10SE.  Do you have much range on the volume control?

Yeah. I have mine set on variable output, so I can control the volume with the 10SE. I have the volume on the speakers set at 50%. On high gain, I use between 1 - 4 on the volume level (I live in an apartment, so I can't crank to headbanging levels). On Low Gain (with -7dB mod), I think I use between 15 - 30. You could always adjust the volume on your speakers to get the ideal range for you. In my opinion, the high gain setting's volume steps are a tad too wide, while the -7dB low gain's volume steps are a tad too fine -- but that's obviously just personal preference. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,928 of 2,860

Quote:

I compared the 10ES (usb version) to the Burson and the 10ES was better in almost every way.  The only thing the Burson might have over the 10ES is that it does sound a bit more "fun".  Besides that, I thought things got glossed over by creamy warmth.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,929 of 2,860

Quote:

I have not tried that specifically - but honestly both units use TE7022, which AudioGD has been using for some time along with their modular digital sound processor circuits AFAIK.  From there the AudioGD outputs I2S to the DAC chip.  To say whether this is better or worse than that on the Burson would likely be splitting hairs.

When we are talking about the NFB-10 SE if you prefer a more musical sound you can chose the WM8805 SPDIF receiver (which IMO is still more transparent than Burson) or otherwise chose the DIR9001 for its more neutral and transparent sound.  IMO both of these options are musical and engaging as much as anyone could want.  If you are concerned about the inbuilt USB - AudioGD's Digital Interface sells for $140 bringing the total bill to $639 without postage, 733.5 including shipping to the US.  IF you need 88.2 support and prefer asynchronous USB, you could buy the HiFace instead.  Thats still 155.50 (DI) or $119.5 (with HiFace) less than Burson and gives you much greater functionality (balanced or single-ended output, upsampling USB interface with the DI, selectable DAC filters) as well as much greater control over the LCD-2 (or other orthos) due to higher power output and lower output impedance, and balanced drive.

IMO Burson is just a name and is both outclassed and outpriced by the NFB-10 SE, morso if yo buy a DI as well.  The only element missing is preamp functionality which is only found on the more expensive HA-160D.  IMO the supposedly super duper USB on the Burson is no reason to buy it over the NFB-10 SE, and the Audio-GD does not need to be cheaper than Burson to have a valid product as IMO Burson is just overhyped beyond it's actual performance.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,930 of 2,860
Nope, no links .  The point was I was trying to make was that that the Audio GD was not quite as good value once a converter is factored into the equation- that's all.  We are allowed to be critical on this thread, aren't we Olor1n? 

To be frank, I'm searching desperately for reasons 'not' to buy the 10SE because I'd rather not spend money right now :p , but it is tempting.

What you mean by active speacker? Built in dac and amp? For what I understand is external hardware wouldn't improve the active speaker due to the sq would be downgraded/down sample again through ur active speaker system.

Yahooooo! I had just received my 10SE today. Can't wait to enjoy it at home tonight. Audio GD sent out last thursday, and delivered to my office by monday,5/12/11. But, unfortunately I did not change to DIR9001. Is it a huge different?

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,931 of 2,860
Active speakers have amplification built in to each speaker. You may have heard of the Audioengine 2 and 5 models, to give a well-known example. They are popular in studios as they can be connected directly to the monitor outputs of whatever gear the engineer is using.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,932 of 2,860
Am I deaf?

I'm running my 10se to balanced HE500s with qaudio cables. Source is Internet radio or USB via SB touch on 50%volume setting... Oh, and high gain...

With all this, my 10se volume sounds best around 15-17.  Does this seem high?

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #1,933 of 2,860

Quote:
Am I deaf?

I'm running my 10se to balanced HE500s with qaudio cables. Source is Internet radio or USB via SB touch on 50%volume setting... Oh, and high gain...

Sounds about right - HE500 are less efficient than LCD-2, and on quiet recordings I can creep up to 10 on high gain with the LCD-2.  I usually max out the volume sliders on music players to eliminate possible unnecessary resampling.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #1,934 of 2,860

Am I deaf?

You are practically compressing your SB Touch digital signal to 50% before it enters your 10SE. By doing this you lose bit-perfect output and limit the dynamics.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #1,935 of 2,860

Quote:

I have not tried that specifically - but honestly both units use TE7022, which AudioGD has been using for some time along with their modular digital sound processor circuits AFAIK.  From there the AudioGD outputs I2S to the DAC chip.  To say whether this is better or worse than that on the Burson would likely be splitting hairs.

When we are talking about the NFB-10 SE if you prefer a more musical sound you can chose the WM8805 SPDIF receiver (which IMO is still more transparent than Burson) or otherwise chose the DIR9001 for its more neutral and transparent sound.  IMO both of these options are musical and engaging as much as anyone could want.  If you are concerned about the inbuilt USB - AudioGD's Digital Interface sells for $140 bringing the total bill to $639 without postage, 733.5 including shipping to the US.  IF you need 88.2 support and prefer asynchronous USB, you could buy the HiFace instead.  Thats still 155.50 (DI) or $119.5 (with HiFace) less than Burson and gives you much greater functionality (balanced or single-ended output, upsampling USB interface with the DI, selectable DAC filters) as well as much greater control over the LCD-2 (or other orthos) due to higher power output and lower output impedance, and balanced drive.

IMO Burson is just a name and is both outclassed and outpriced by the NFB-10 SE, morso if yo buy a DI as well.  The only element missing is preamp functionality which is only found on the more expensive HA-160D.  IMO the supposedly super duper USB on the Burson is no reason to buy it over the NFB-10 SE, and the Audio-GD does not need to be cheaper than Burson to have a valid product as IMO Burson is just overhyped beyond it's actual performance.

Good post!  

But the 10SE does have preamp functionality (albeit with only one input), or have I misunderstood the Audio GD webpage?   It can be hooked up to a power amp or active speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back