Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,591 of 2,860
Those who've read my 10SE comparisons to the Lyr may find this interesting. A non "audiophile" friend (musician who knows what sounds good, but never knew headphones could achieve it) heard my rig for the first time. This person had scoffed at the funds (modest by Head-Fi standards) I'd poured into headphones and associated gear, so I had a wry smirk when witnessing the reaction to the LCD-2 for the first time. Without any prompts, words of hyperbole followed expressions of disbelief and I knew someone's views had just changed.

This was single ended from the 10SE. I switched to the Lyr and was given an assessment supporting the differences I'd written about here. Without knowing my thoughts on the matter, this person described the Lyr as a touch "muddy", while the 10SE was more "pristine" with cleaner bass. I had expected a preference for the Lyr knowing this guy's bass inclinations, but he felt the 10SE/LCD-2 was a revelation.

Head-fi is such a solitary pursuit that it comes as somewhat of a surprise when the uninitiated can make such assessments. I was quietly chuffed at the validation.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #1,592 of 2,860
Received an email saying that my NFB-10SE got sent out yesterday (Tuesday) which is quite fast considering I only emailed them and made the payment on Sunday evening. (And contrary to all the posts in this thread saying they take ages to ship???)

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #1,593 of 2,860

Quote:
Received an email saying that my NFB-10SE got sent out yesterday (Tuesday) which is quite fast considering I only emailed them and made the payment on Sunday evening. (And contrary to all the posts in this thread saying they take ages to ship???)

Maybe you got mine! - I ordered 12 days ago and told them 7days ago for a -7dB mod of the low gain HP output and they told me now, my Unit will be shipped next monday. So, you're lucky!

Rob

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #1,594 of 2,860
Hi,
I'm new to Head-Fi but have read this whole thread as Im interested in upgrading from my Xonar Essence STX.. Ive had this sound card and k701s since early last year and Ive been thrilled with them untill about 3 months ago. I've set my soundcard to upsample to 192kHz in the souncard's software but something funny has been brewing since. I tried returning the sample rate back to 96, 48 and 44.1kHz and some bad noise appears which never used to be there... so I keep it on 192.
Anyway, I'm not enjoying the music as much as I used to or maybe it's just my standards have risen. I am deliberating between the Burson HA-160D and the NFB-10SE.
The Burson has been raved about for many reasons and is known to be a great match with the k701s. However, one post in this thread said that the Burson is too warm and smooth but fun. In comparison, they say that the -10 is detailed, responsive, and well staged; which are the characteristics I would want - and, its less than half price..
wink.gif

However, I live 15 mins from a Burson distributor and it would be much easier to buy, and I wouldnt have to worry about the shipping/doa issues with ADG that have been mentioned by so many.

Opinions?

ps It's interesting to note that the WM8741 supports 'bit-stream DSD' on the datasheet..
Cheers

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #1,595 of 2,860
You'll need your K701s specially re-terminated to use them with the NFB-10 as they don't have balanced wiring unfortunately.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #1,596 of 2,860
There's a lot of good gear out there, but there's a special place in my heart (and on my amp shelf, too) for all the good stuff made over at Audio-Gd.  I like his discrete OPAs, his attention to power supplies, the build quality at given price level, and using the ACSS stage following the DAC chip is something no one else out there is doing.  It's just such nice gear to own, and of course the prices are good.

None of this would matter if it didn't sound good; all Audio-Gd gear sounds at least good; and some sounds great.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,597 of 2,860
There's a lot of good gear out there, but there's a special place in my heart (and on my amp shelf, too) for all the good stuff made over at Audio-Gd.  I like his discrete OPAs, his attention to power supplies, the build quality at given price level, and using the ACSS stage following the DAC chip is something no one else out there is doing.  It's just such nice gear to own, and of course the prices are good.

None of this would matter if it didn't sound good; all Audio-Gd gear sounds at least good; and some sounds great.

pretty sure ACSS is just another name for a tech Krell or someone similar(topmost tier) developed earlier :) quite possibly first developed by sony in the 80s...(Sony's AUDIO CURRENT TRANSFER )

audio-gd's discre opamps measure and sound frigging horribly. I hated both sun and moon. no offense.

and for the price you pay for the opportunity to go dac/ampless for a month or two while your gear is back for service in china. (possibly to be told it's a non-repro) so yea...

other than that, the price vs what you get ratio is certainly more than formidable.(you probs can't get an amp + dac in one package with that high balanced+se output...full stop)

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #1,598 of 2,860
I'm really glad that people are enjoying the products from Audio-gd but my first experience has left me speechless (in a bad way). I am giving one of their products another shot. I bought a used DI with all the trimmings from a member here on Head-fi, so we'll see how it goes. 

The biggest problem I have is communication. It's like pulling teeth to talk to these guys.

Enough of this though. I'm glad to see some people are seeing great returns from the 10SE.

Quote:

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,599 of 2,860
Quote:
I'm really glad that people are enjoying the products from Audio-gd but my first experience has left me speechless (in a bad way). I am giving one of their products another shot. I bought a used DI with all the trimmings from a member here on Head-fi, so we'll see how it goes. 

The biggest problem I have is communication. It's like pulling teeth to talk to these guys.

Enough of this though. I'm glad to see some people are seeing great returns from the 10SE.

Stop posting and go to the doctor! 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,600 of 2,860

Quote:

ok that is just so unfair now....i dont care if u ordered directly from audio gd. If i have to wait over 1 and a half months (Currently) and you wait like less than a week then.....i dont think that is acceptable.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,602 of 2,860
This is to thank the people who've posted on this thread, which is where I was alerted to the NFB-10SE (and Audio-gd in general) a few weeks ago.

Nearly three weeks after I received it -- and some 50 head hours later -- my NFB-10SE is working flawlessly, and I'm mightily impressed with it. The DAC seems to sound even better than my Grace m902 (though I haven't yet been able to A-B them). And the head-amp punches well above its weight class. In fact, it falls behind my Rudistor RPX300 amp (some 5 times more expensive) only in soundstaging width/depth and three-dimensionality. But it's an amp with which I'd live happily. Value is off the charts, IME. (Durability remains to be seen, of course.) I'm especially impressed by the totally black background offered by such a powerful amp. Highly recommended to those who seek neutrality. (If you're looking for the "warm" kind of coloration, you won't find it here. Personally, I prefer to let the headphones take care of my occasional craving for "warmth" -- which the JVC DX1000 and the Grado GS1000i do so well, each with its own version of that warmth thing.)

One of the fun aspects of the NFB-10SE is, of course, the offer of 9 filter "flavors". I haven't seen anybody mention my preference: filter #1. It's the one that gives me the widest and deepest soundstage, without any obvious sacrifices. I expected to be in doubt about the choice of filter, but I wasn't. #1 is the clear choice for me.

beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #1,604 of 2,860

Quote:
ok that is just so unfair now....i dont care if u ordered directly from audio gd. If i have to wait over 1 and a half months (Currently) and you wait like less than a week then.....i dont think that is acceptable.

mouhahahaha "please order from your agents" 
evil_smiley.gif
, hope you will like very much your NFB-10SE ... 

from ampcity on NFB-10 : " Availability: Available to order. Ships within 30 days." , you ordered it 20-21 september something like that no ? 

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,605 of 2,860

Quote:

You are lucky! I just received my NFB-10SE without being told the tracking number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back