Audio-GD NFB-1.32
Nov 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #138 of 166
I noticed the same thing, Chik. A little bit warmer tonality, as others are saying, but with no apparent loss of detail and a much better sense of space and location.

It's easier to feel like I'm really inside what I'm listening to or watching. I was surprised.

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #139 of 166
It really does sound different and better to some extent. 
blink.gif

Also I'am thankfull for the included backup firmware chip, otherwise I didn't know how to change between the firmware under linux.^^
To be honest, I don't like change that much and making a decision is not easy for me. But I will most likely stay with the new firmware.

Edit: There is only one actual drawback I can hear for me. The stage is not so "much" in front of me anymore, I liked that. But everything else is improved.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #140 of 166
Hi everyone, 

Has anyone tried to eliminate the +5v on the usb cable from computer to Audio-GD dac?
The Audio GD site implies the +5v is not necessary and you will gain greater fidelity and clarity by eliminating it. I'm awaiting input from A GD on this.

BTW, HOW do you eliminate the +5v? 
Do you cover a pin?
Do you "open" the sheathing of the usb cable and "snip" a wire?

Has anyone actually tried this? 
Did it improve the sound? 

THANKS. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #141 of 166
No need to cut the cable. Turn the USB-A connector so that all the pins are at the bottom. 

cut a thin piece of electrical tape (preferably black or a color that stands out from the pins) make it slightly wider than the "pins". 

Carefully try to cover the RIGHT-MOST pin with the electrical tape. Use a sewing needle to press the thin bit of tape down over the "pin". Make sure you fully cover all the gold parts of that "pin". Cut off any excess and tape it down nicely so it doesn't protrude. 

I never A-Bed but many who have said the sound is less noisy and a noticeable improvement. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #142 of 166
Thank you atsq17. That seems like a great idea and straightforward. 

BTW, I heard back from Kingwa. He indicated, as follows:

"The DAC don't need the +5V from computer, this already had avoid a lit interrupt, if you can do, remove the +5V wire total in the USB cable is better."

Just passing that along to anyone who is interested. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #143 of 166
Alternatively if you are looking for a good (but more costly) USB cable, the LH Labs Lightspeed 2G is a split design. The power cable is separated. I just leave it not plugged in. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #144 of 166
Hope I'm not redirecting this thread too much. 
 Alternatively if you are looking for a good (but more costly) USB cable, the LH Labs Lightspeed 2G is a split design. The power cable is separated. I just leave it not plugged in.

Thanks for the suggestion.Yes, leaving "out" the "power" cable of a 2:1 cable design makes sense--the DAC never sees the usb power buss. Similarly, it makes sense to "cut" the usb power in the cable as Kingwa suggested. 

Okay, there's something about this "2 headed monster" concept I do not understand. 

In the ifi Gemini version you have a usb A feeding power and a usb B feeding data. HOWEVER, both cables "appear" to merge together into a single usb B termination just prior to entering the DAC. So, are they separated "for a time" and then the power and data converge at the termination? If so, is that really much of an advantage? 

It would seem that running a DAC that "NEVER" sees the usb power would be preferable. Okay, I'm new to all this, so I'm tossing this out there to learn and help others who might trip over this thread.  Thank you. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #145 of 166
The "2 headed monster" type of cables DO separate power and data, hence the 2 ends on one side. However they still have to plug into your DAC which has power and data in one usb connector, hence the 1 end on the DAC side. As atsq17 said, if you want to you can just leave the power end of the "2 headed monster" cable unplugged, in which case only data flows through the connector plugged into the DAC.

Pretty much everyone anywhere agrees that the USB power coming from your computer is dirty and should be avoided where possible.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #147 of 166
Dear Colleagues
I found some post 
http://soundex.ru/index.php?showtopic=41485
whith very bAd parameters for Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) and Intermodulation Distortion + Noise:

It really is defective batch, or it is because of computer problems, which is connected by USB?

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #148 of 166
it might be the 
  Dear Colleagues
I found some post 
http://soundex.ru/index.php?showtopic=41485
whith very bAd parameters for Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) and Intermodulation Distortion + Noise:

It really is defective batch, or it is because of computer problems, which is connected by USB?

it might be the case where Kingwa states "with no feedback the THD measurement will be worse but sound better for human ears" thing, but I am no expert and not sure

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #149 of 166
I just check we have forgot put the NFB1 's THD test on web but the NFB28 did.
The NFB28 is similar design by lower grade than the NFB1 because built in headphone amp had increase the distortion.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB282015/NFB282015EN_Specs.htm

The no feedback had larger distortion but I think our design had not worst than a lot feedback products in world.
If we design the products by OPA had feedback the THD is even better on paper.

We are test by the AP machine, its price can buy 100 units computer .

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #150 of 166
I have NFB-1 (2014). I bouht this in Oct 2014. Around one month ago I started to experience sound distortion problem when dac is connected to Linux machine. Sound distortion starts after 3 hours of operating. The I connect dac to Windows 8 machine all works fine. If I turn off dac then turn on after 30 minuts it works fine on Linux again, but after next 20-30 minutes sound is distorted again. On widnows machine works fine.

Anyone experienced such problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back