Audio-GD NFB-1.32
Aug 9, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #151 of 166
I mainly use linux (Kubuntu 14.04 & 15.04) and never experienced any real problems. It is connected via usb. Do you use usb too?
There are very rare cases where I had distortion, regardless of os. Assumedly when the dac does not get the data in a format as expected. Like it has not adjusted to the new bitrate yet. But stopping all playback once did fix that for me.

Does it just happen randomly? Or did you open any additional software and then it starts? My guess is that you have one audio stream to the dac, which is used by to many programms with different formats.
Sometimes when I watched a youtube video for example and opened my tv software thereafter I had distortions. Like the dac misses that the content of the stream is a bit different now. Just some guesses. Since it's all pcm, I'am not even shure if anything changed in the one stream.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #152 of 166
  I mainly use linux (Kubuntu 14.04 & 15.04) and never experienced any real problems. It is connected via usb. Do you use usb too?
There are very rare cases where I had distortion, regardless of os. Assumedly when the dac does not get the data in a format as expected. Like it has not adjusted to the new bitrate yet. But stopping all playback once did fix that for me.

Does it just happen randomly? Or did you open any additional software and then it starts? My guess is that you have one audio stream to the dac, which is used by to many programms with different formats.
Sometimes when I watched a youtube video for example and opened my tv software thereafter I had distortions. Like the dac misses that the content of the stream is a bit different now. Just some guesses. Since it's all pcm, I'am not even shure if anything changed in the one stream.

Yes, I use usb. This problems happens everyday, after around 3 hours of playing music since one month . Earlier there was no any problem like this. There are no other programs playing music, only one music player. I was trying to switch to other players and the problem still exists on Linux (I use Ubuntu 12.10). I suppose that issue is relate to operating period.

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #153 of 166

Yes, I use usb. This problems happens everyday, after around 3 hours of playing music since one month . Earlier there was no any problem like this. There are no other programs playing music, only one music player. I was trying to switch to other players and the problem still exists on Linux (I use Ubuntu 12.10). I suppose that issue is relate to operating period.

I know that that pulseaudio is already used in 12.10. Maybe changing the overall quality of playback does help.

You can try to edit this file:
Code:
 [b]/etc/pulse/daemon.conf[/b]

There is a setting called:
Code:
 resample-method

You need to uncomment it, by removing the semicolon at the beginning of the line.

There are different values available. Standard value should be "speex-float-3", it was "speex-float-1" on my system. Choosing a higher number there can help. I just use "src-sinc-best-quality" since I can and it works fine for me. Here are some of the values, probably the only relevant:
Code:
 src-sinc-best-quality, src-sinc-medium-quality, src-sinc-fastest, speex-float-{10-0}

There are also other options you can adjust, like:
Code:
 default-fragments default-fragment-size-msec

I don't know what values are appropriate there. 4 and 25 seem to be basic.

Assumedly it is some sort of software problem. So different settings in pulseaudio can maybe fix or curtail the problem. There is a lot to fiddle with if you want to.

To restart pulseaudio use this in the console:
Code:
 pulseaudio -k

Depending on what you changed a restart of the whole system can be necessary.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #154 of 166
Maybe somone here can help me, whats the difference apart from the connections between these 2??

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB1S/NFB1SEN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB12015/NFB12015EN.htm

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #157 of 166
  Maybe somone here can help me, whats the difference apart from the connections between these 2??

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB1S/NFB1SEN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB12015/NFB12015EN.htm

pretty sure the NFB-1S is cheaper because it uses surface mount components. If you look at the photos you will see how different they are, physically.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #158 of 166
I had to check a little what a NOS was,but i only got more confused, in the website the specs are pretty much identical, could u shut me some more light into it? I mean, should NOS dac be better? Than why is it less expensive? Thanks for the reply m8.

Some people swear by nos dac with its detail organic sound, good soundstage etc. provided it is well implementated. Both nfb1 and 1s are almost similar in design, just cheaper and slight differences in sound presentation.
The main differences is probably at the psu design and parts used which is the key for agd products. Not inferior but lesser psu and parts used for its intended design, hence lower cost. Not better or worse.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #160 of 166
Thanks to you both @sayh and @floodo1, you helped a lot, since the nfb-1 is much more expensive i will try to find a better used or new alternative to the nfb-1s to make my 500€ count.

I would advise you to follow your heart to get that dac you wanted most, once and for all, rather than you save cost now and having second thoughts later. You know better what is a good match with your gears, Stay cool headed and save up more in the mean time.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #161 of 166
I would advise you to follow your heart to get that dac you wanted most, once and for all, rather than you save cost now and having second thoughts later. You know better what is a good match with your gears, Stay cool headed and save up more in the mean time.

You are right, but aint easy, i would prefer the full 1 but its much more expensive, but the worst is thinking if it will pay off, which im unsure.

But thanks mate!!

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #162 of 166

I know that that pulseaudio is already used in 12.10. Maybe changing the overall quality of playback does help.

You can try to edit this file:
Code:
 [b]/etc/pulse/daemon.conf[/b]

Thanks for suggestions. 

My configuration (uncommented params) in daemon.conf is:
Code:
 resample-method = speex-float-1 flat-volumes = no default-sample-format = s32be default-sample-rate = 192000 default-fragments = 8 default-fragment-size-msec = 10 deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 1

When noises appear (usually aftert 3 hours os playing music) then I can decrease default-sample-rate to 96000 and problem disappear.

I'm not convinced that this is only software problem. Maybe PulseAudio daemon has wrong numbers, but why noises starts only after some time?

Also I noticed that  the problem is only during hot days, when temperature in my room gets around 78 F (and outisde is around 90 F).
During cooler days the problem does not occur.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #163 of 166

You are right, but aint easy, i would prefer the full 1 but its much more expensive, but the worst is thinking if it will pay off, which im unsure.

But thanks mate!!

you could email Kingwa and get his advice. He's really honest about what the differences are and I've seen him suggest that people buy the cheaper unit because the more expensive one isn't way better (not sure if that applies to the various NFB-1 models, but he has said things like that about some models anyway).

My opinion is that you would probably be happy with either model but who knows (-8

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #164 of 166

you could email Kingwa and get his advice. He's really honest about what the differences are and I've seen him suggest that people buy the cheaper unit because the more expensive one isn't way better (not sure if that applies to the various NFB-1 models, but he has said things like that about some models anyway).

My opinion is that you would probably be happy with either model but who knows (-8

Could u pm me his email?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back